Thread: Best place to locate tweeters?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best place to locate tweeters?

My 2009 Mazda 3 GX did not come with stock tweeters. What would be a good place to locate aftermarket tweeters? Since tweeters did not come with the car, can I assume Mazda has not done any wiring for tweeters?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best place to locate tweeters?

You can probably the OEM mirror sails (not sure what the proper name is, but its on the inside where the sideview mirrors are) to work with aftermarket tweeters.

Edit:

This thing:

CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'd assume they prewired everything in, like they did on the Gen 2's. Creating 1 wiring harness is cheaper than 2 different types.
    Most people put them in the sail panels in the door by the mirror.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. I will put the tweeters on the sail. If the sail is pre-wired, then it is even better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    Thanks guys. I will put the tweeters on the sail. If the sail is pre-wired, then it is even better.
    That is not the best place for tweeters (for sound quality). It's a convenient location if pre-wired, but not the optimal placing for tweeters. If you have component speakers, the best location for the tweeters would be near the woofers on the doors, above the woofers and a minimum of 2 inches separating the two, too a max of 8 inches. This is ofcourse assuming you can find the space...but I'm pretty sure with the first generation door panels there is space.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    That is not the best place for tweeters (for sound quality). It's a convenient location if pre-wired, but not the optimal placing for tweeters. If you have component speakers, the best location for the tweeters would be near the woofers on the doors, above the woofers and a minimum of 2 inches separating the two, too a max of 8 inches. This is ofcourse assuming you can find the space...but I'm pretty sure with the first generation door panels there is space.

_3
    This is true when there is an un-obstructed line towards your head. Your door speakers are blocked by your legs when driving and there is too much deflection down there anyways.
    In Car audio optimal placement for tweeters are anywhere from your chest to ear level, the mirror shrouds are the easiest for placement and will give you full audio without any sort of deflection, also a good spot would be on the door panel itself just above your door open handle but closer to the dash.
    Optimal placement is in you pillars mainly due to the open space available and nothing for the sound waves to deflect from.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay18 View Post
    This is true when there is an un-obstructed line towards your head. Your door speakers are blocked by your legs when driving and there is too much deflection down there anyways.
    In Car audio optimal placement for tweeters are anywhere from your chest to ear level, the mirror shrouds are the easiest for placement and will give you full audio without any sort of deflection, also a good spot would be on the door panel itself just above your door open handle but closer to the dash.
    Optimal placement is in you pillars mainly due to the open space available and nothing for the sound waves to deflect from.
    Actually on the first generation 3's door panels, there are several spots one can place the tweeters so they are closer to the woofers, one you mentioned above and one can also always angle the tweeters for better sound distribution and with no obstruction. Many component tweeter sets do come with the ability to change the angle of the tweeters as did my JLs.

_3