Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new hpfp

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need a new hpfp

Is it a recall so everyone gets new pump and injectors or is it just if you have issue and you have warranty they replace items, also if you have bad injector do they replace all 4 or try to figure out which is the bad one? What years are affected?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kris"Speed3"CWP View Post
    Now the variances with manufacturing of the HPFP has actual some Gen2's with just as much as an intake installed cause fuel pressure to drop below 1600psi at WOT and cause power loss. You will never blow an engine in a Gen2 just hit a wall with the HPFP.
    Whoa, this is the first I've heard of this. You CAN'T blow the Gen2 engine? This goes against everything I've read regarding the HPFP situation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Whoa, this is the first I've heard of this. You CAN'T blow the Gen2 engine? This goes against everything I've read regarding the HPFP situation.
    I wouldn't say "can't" but the fueling logic is different in that when fuel pressure drops below 1600psi (or so) it just dumps fuel into the engine further lowering pressure but also making the engine go really rich which prevents detonation which is the cause of zoom zoom boom. The first gen would just let the pressure continue to fall and consequently the AFR's would continue to rise until...boom.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kris"Speed3"CWP View Post
    Is it a recall so everyone gets new pump and injectors or is it just if you have issue and you have warranty they replace items, also if you have bad injector do they replace all 4 or try to figure out which is the bad one? What years are affected?
    I quoted Mr.wilsons comment on N54's which are BMW's not mazdas. Yes they got new pumps. Not sure on injectors how they did that

Btw a member did blow a gen 2 speed engine
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveIrwin24 View Post
    On Monday out of nowhere my car would hit a wall in 3rd gear, boot would cut off and it would stutter. Even in first gear it was doing that.
    When I drove Tuesday, Wednesday car was fine and had no problem hitting full boost.
    So I dropped it off at the dealership today and they called telling me the issue was the hpfp and that I need a new one. Thank god it's under warranty.
    They told me the current one most likely was defective.
    The only mods I have are a cai, bpv,and CBE.. I know anything more then thy I would have to upgrade the hpfp.
    Car only has 23,000km
    Just thought it was strange

they are gunna warranty it? damn the guy i talked to at steele was dead agianst any mods to a speed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Nope you cannot blow the engine with the fuel logic that is present, Hence the first mod needed to be done before any combination mods is the HPFP. You will not blow a Gen2 engine from leaning out with this logic that's 100%, you will hit a wall once your fuel pressure drops below 1600psi and then logic increases pulse width and you get more fuel from injectors just being at max pulse width and you get robbed of any power due to this logic! Just read up on Cobb tuning website it is explained in detail there!

Now if there is another mechanical issue with the car yes you can blow the engine, like no oil, low oil viscosity, VVT chain stretches and you jump some teeth and valve hang open etc... But to blow engine due to leaning out like a gen 1 that's modded like a MO FO!! without a pump upgrade never! Now this would be a good question to ask if you have a Cobb AP if those tunes take away this fueling logic? I doubt it, but none the less would be a good question.

P.S read the FYI in the Cobb section or their forums you will find the truth, reading other forums is mixed with fact & fiction!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    I quoted Mr.wilsons comment on N54's which are BMW's not mazdas. Yes they got new pumps. Not sure on injectors how they did that

Btw a member did blow a gen 2 speed engine

So the question is was the member on stock tune? If the aftermarket tune takes away this fueling logic or this safety feature then monitoring fuel pressure is critical but then you would have to get a HPFP to ensure you do not blow your engine while using an aftermarket tune.

A stock car, with a stock tune or with an CAI,TIP, and a properly functioning stock HPFP will never blow an engine you might hit a wall when fuel pressure dips bellow 1600psi if you put CBE,DP,TMI/FMI but you car will not blow up due to leaning out on a stock tune you will just keep hitting PCM limitations!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Monday out of nowhere my car would hit a wall in 3rd gear, boot would cut off and it would stutter. Even in first gear it was doing that.
    When I drove Tuesday, Wednesday car was fine and had no problem hitting full boost.
    So I dropped it off at the dealership today and they called telling me the issue was the hpfp and that I need a new one. Thank god it's under warranty.
    They told me the current one most likely was defective.
    The only mods I have are a cai, bpv,and CBE.. I know anything more then thy I would have to upgrade the hpfp.
    Car only has 23,000km
    Just thought it was strange
    PROOF this Gen2 owner on a stock tune had fuel pressure drop below 1600psi he did not lean out and damage his engine but hit PCM generated limitation, he parked his car then drove it to the dealer, new pump and engine is fine. I would believe that the CBE exhaust paired up with his other mods and a inferior pump being pushed to its limits was the cause for failure. There is a variance from pump to pump as to what mods will show the stock HPFP weakness.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

So the dealership ordered the hpfp last Friday , still waiting for them to call me to tell me they have it in and they'll install it. I've been driving my car around, everything seems fine, turbo hasn't been surging or losing psi while wot.
    I'm assuming the same thing will happen with the new hpfp they are gonna install as the original one I have now because of my mods?
    Or will this hpfp be a better functioning one that can withstand the mods I have now.
    I'm hoping the pump was defective and the new one will be alright until I can upgrade in the spring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be the same as the stock HPFP, they prolly had a defective batch of HPFP so they are replacing them with new ones that aren't from the same manufacturing date. You should be fine but I would jump on some upgraded internals or a complete HPFP upgrade when they go on sale for boxing day or any other sale.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will do the same thing go get an upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you might of had a really weak pump? hopefully you get lucky and have no further issues if there was a problem as everyone says with the HPFP from a specific date. If this is all the mods you are going to do I hope the new pump will flow enough to keep you happy! Buy a monitoring device or an AP to watch and log your runs with new fuel pump.
    Good Luck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

Thanks guys, I really hope the issue was a defective pump and the new one will be up to par.
    Appreciate all the feedback, I know if I posted this thread on mazdaspeedforums I woulda got a strip ripped off me lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you bud as long as its not "I want to install a downpipe, do I need to upgrade my fuel pump?" you won't get your anus ripped to much lmao

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

New hpfp was installed almost 2 weeks ago, car is acting up again.. Internals are getting ordered for sure. In the mean time while they are getting shipped think It would run a little better if I switch the intake and bpv to stock?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New hpfp was installed almost 2 weeks ago, car is acting up again.. Internals are getting ordered for sure. In the mean time while they are getting shipped think It would run a little better if I switch the intake and bpv to stock?
    yes it will run better stock until you upgrade the pump.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

Off to the dealership to sit till Thursday

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

Off to the dealership to sit till Thursday
    I like those gold steelies. Looks sharp considering what they are.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha owning a Speed, two pics come to mind......owner in the engine bay and.......flatbed.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes switch everything back to stock ASAP. Don't risk it. It's much easier and cheaper to swap those parts then it is to swap your motor.
    Phone: 647-439-4485

AUDIO | SECURITY | ACCESSORIES | HID & LED LIGHTING | VIDEO & MULTIMEDIA | ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got it parked at the dealership for now, it opens back up thursday.. blah
    quickly switched back to the stock bpv.. drove it around the lot afterwards, drove a little better but still some hesitation.
    hope they will cover under warranty again. lol

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got it parked at the dealership for now, it opens back up thursday.. blah
    quickly switched back to the stock bpv.. drove it around the lot afterwards, drove a little better but still some hesitation.
    hope they will cover under warranty again. lol
    The pump is NOT FAULTY it simply cannot supply fuel fast enough for what the car is demanding. Put the internals in and you will be fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright ill let the dealership know im going to return it to stock (except cbe) and order internals.
    im assuming the stock hpfp can handle just a cbe?

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright ill let the dealership know im going to return it to stock (except cbe) and order internals.
    im assuming the stock hpfp can handle just a cbe?
    It comes down to the car itself. For example a friend of mine with a 2010 speed (same as mine) had an intake prior to the pump and his car drove fine in any condition. My car had the same intake and in 3rd gear above 4000rpms it would stutter like crazy prior to the pump. Just take it easy until the internals are in

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need a new hpfp

Ok, these cars work in mysterious ways lol
    I do have a used cpe cai installed on the car right now.. I'm sure the car would work a little better with an Sri

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast