Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unhappy with new front speakerrs / amp: vocals are high or clear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unhappy with new front speakerrs / amp: vocals are high or clear

I meant to say vocals are NOT high or clear in the heading.

I replaced by my front coaxial JL speakers with Focal components and a 2 channel Amp (MB Quart 100 RMS per ch.). The sound quality is really bad compared to before (JL fronts and no amp) . Mids and highs are flat, muffled and not very clear. Definitely not like the Focals I have listened to. Focals treble is generall little bright but mine is exact opposite. I doubt the speakers are defective. I played with my aftermarket head unit's audio controls and increased the treble and mids but I am not satisfied. I cannot adjust crossovers because the installer put them inside the door. The installer suggests I put a more powerful amp or a Line Driver to boost the signal. He said he could install a 'Line Driver' at the amp to boost the HU's signal for $200. The line driver he has is this: http://www.gotwirez.com/p/125/lcdss10-2.The speakers are here

I appreciate any helpful suggestions. I really don't know what to do than hire another installer to trouble shoot.
    Last edited by sip; 12-07-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Unhappy with new front speakerrs / amp: vocals are high or clear

I think you need to pull the door panel off and adjust your crossover/amp settings.

I think the "Line Driver" is a cash grab, and I would definitely adjust the crossover/settings on the amp before putting more money into anything.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    I think you need to pull the door panel off and adjust your crossover/amp settings.

I think the "Line Driver" is a cash grab, and I would definitely adjust the crossover/settings on the amp before putting more money into anything.
    +1

Leave your head unit flat first
    Then adjust the amp and the crossover at the same time. If the sound quality is near what you're preference is, then make adjustments to your head unit.
    Click to enlarge!

www.leenguyen.ca

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who installed it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20Hz Audio. The owner calls himself the best installer in Canada but he didn't do the job - his installers did it. I went there for convenience - closer to where I was working . Could it be a wiring issue like out of phase or not getting enough current to amp because of bad amp wire? Amp manufacturer recommends 4 gauge wire but he probably didn't use 4 gauge. I saw the wiring kit he had. It didn't indicate the gauge just the watts.
    Last edited by sip; 12-07-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wire should say what gauge it is directly on the sleeve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone has to call themselves the best installer, it means they are not the best.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at your battery or the amp and see what wire the gauge is, all wires must have some lettering.

Could it possibly be your amp as well?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leecheefoto View Post
    Look at your battery or the amp and see what wire the gauge is, all wires must have some lettering.

Could it possibly be your amp as well?
    Will do. Amp is brand new so are the speakers. Amp is reasonable powerful (100 watts per ch.) and good brand name.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what head unit are you using?

Are you sure the headunit isn't doing a bandpass aka setting the output to subwoofer?

Try hooking up a different audio source like an ipod to the amp and see if the sound is still flat.
    If it sounds better the issue is the deck, if not the crossover is likely the problem.
    perhaps the woofer and tweeter wires got switched.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnitehour View Post
    what head unit are you using?

Are you sure the headunit isn't doing a bandpass aka setting the output to subwoofer?

Try hooking up a different audio source like an ipod to the amp and see if the sound is still flat.
    If it sounds better the issue is the deck, if not the crossover is likely the problem.
    perhaps the woofer and tweeter wires got switched.
    Head unit is a Kenwood DPX308U. It has a setting called 'Switch Preouts/ that switches preouts between rear output and sub output. I selected sub output. This this what you are referring to. Is switching preouts to subwoofer wrong?

How do I hook up a Ipod to the amp?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    Head unit is a Kenwood DPX308U. It has a setting called 'Switch Preouts/ that switches preouts between rear output and sub output. I selected sub output. This this what you are referring to. Is switching preouts to subwoofer wrong?

How do I hook up a Ipod to the amp?
    3.5mm to rca cable.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try switching the pre out then. Seems like it could be the problem.

My issue is they didn't seem to test it before allowing you to leave.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I listen with them and complained. The installer admitted it was pretty bad but blamed it on the sub and offered to put the old speakers back. The owner said he cannot hear anything wrong - he installed the equipment I gave him correctly.

I saw this in a review: "My only complaint was the tweeter , they are not mark very clear which wire is positive or negative , so I call tech support and I was told the wire with the red stripe was the positive ". Could it be a wire mix up like in the reviewer's case?
    Last edited by sip; 12-07-2012 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^How would we know? We would just be speculating. Why don't you pull the panel off and check?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    ^How would we know? We would just be speculating. Why don't you pull the panel off and check?
    You are absolutely right. I have to find another installer because I don't know how to do it. I have seen this but not confident enough to try.
    Last edited by sip; 12-07-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's easier then your making it out to be. You do not need another installer to do this.

If you would like some help I'll offer. But your scared for nothing. Especially since its been removed before. It's VERY easy to do, if you have manual widows it's slightly more difficult but still easy with an $8 tool from Canadian tire.

If they didn't bother making sure it sounded right it's highly unlikely they soldered wires which means you can easily unplug and switch polarity.
    Last edited by peterm15; 12-08-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on where you are, I'm sure there is a member that is nearby that can help you out with this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in Brampton. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterm15 View Post
    It's easier then your making it out to be. You do not need another installer to do this.

If you would like some help I'll offer. But your scared for nothing. Especially since its been removed before. It's VERY easy to do, if you have manual widows it's slightly more difficult but still easy with an $8 tool from Canadian tire.

If they didn't bother making sure it sounded right it's highly unlikely they soldered wires which means you can easily unplug and switch polarity.
    Thanks for your offer to help. They did soldered the wire. Installer told me. Will PM you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got someone to adjust the amp setting and changed HU's audio controls. It is lot better now and I am happy with the set up. Thanks peterm15 for your offer to help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem.

Just goes to show you. The shop seems a little shady when all it took was an amp adjustment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've met and worked with Frankie from 20hz a few times - he's a good guy and knows his shit. He has put together A LOT of crazy builds over the years - which have brought so much media attention, that may have swelled his ego.

The shop itself is very good.

The only thing I can see happening is that the installer claims (or thought) he did all the right steps - but clearly missed the tuning adjustment part LOL. Frankie can only go by what the installer claims - without physically re-tracing all his steps.

Not trying to say that this install was acceptable - just don't think it should get the negative judgements its receiving.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    I've met and worked with Frankie from 20hz a few times - he's a good guy and knows his shit. He has put together A LOT of crazy builds over the years - which have brought so much media attention, that may have swelled his ego.

The shop itself is very good.

The only thing I can see happening is that the installer claims (or thought) he did all the right steps - but clearly missed the tuning adjustment part LOL. Frankie can only go by what the installer claims - without physically re-tracing all his steps.

Not trying to say that this install was acceptable - just don't think it should get the negative judgements its receiving.
    I get that.
    But as an owner of a shop it is his reputation on the line to make sure the job is done correctly. I'm sure he is a great guy with tons of knowledge and loads of experience. To me it speaks to his lack of caring for a small job ( the bread and butter) to make sure a simple thing like a setting on an amp is done correctly. Instead he suggests installing another piece of equipment that the op obviously didn't need. It's nothing against him personally. But amp settings is something that he could have figured out in seconds, and should have.

Best example I have is I recently had tints done at audio haven. Jeff ( the owner) didn't personally do the job, but if the job was a complete botch it wouldn't come back on the installer. It would come back on Jeff. It's just the way it is. ( BTW the installer did a great job on my tints and I have nothing buy positive to say about audio haven. )
    Last edited by peterm15; 12-08-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i've seen jobs done by 20HZ i agree with peterm15, something as simple as making sure the deck had the right outputs set and that the amp wasn't in band pass should have been on the checklist.

worse so is that no one in that shop could hear the difference in SQ with the front speakers on a band pass, something that the internet figured out in 2 hours.

20hz isn't the only frequency music is played on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast