Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52

Thread: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

  1. #1
    Jr Member eSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pickering
    Age
    29
    Ride
    Skyactiv 3
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Just something for new and current owners thinking about the skyactiv. With a lot of threads of people arguing over the mileage, just thought id show it is possible to get close to 1000kms. Keep in mind this was almost all highway and got over 980kms. Shot right here in Toronto to Quebec

    Sorry not sure how to embed from the iPhone

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtfQY9W-b8
    Last edited by loki; 12-22-2012 at 08:23 PM.
    ...NIGHTCALL...

  2. #2
    Member loosecannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Ride
    Streetcar
    Posts
    1,506
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    You can wrap the link with the [VIDEO] tag next time, and it'll embed.
    Last edited by loosecannon; 12-22-2012 at 02:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Jr Member eSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pickering
    Age
    29
    Ride
    Skyactiv 3
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Thanks for the tip, sir

  4. #4
    Member sarujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    I watched the video and wasn't overly impressed. For starters, the guy was driving at 92-95km/hr down the highway - below the speed limit! Of course he was trying to get revs down as low as possible - under 2k!

    At the end of the video the guys says he filled up with 56L of fuel and went about 980km's. Toss those numbers into Fuelly and you get 5.7L/100km. Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.

    Honestly, I don't understand what the fascination is in getting 1000km/tank. It should all boil down to L/100km or L/km of consumption. The rest is irrelevant.
    Last edited by sarujo; 12-23-2012 at 01:04 AM.


    2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

  5. #5
    Jr Member dambay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    How could he have put 56L in? Its only a 55 L tank

  6. #6
    Member loosecannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Ride
    Streetcar
    Posts
    1,506
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by dambay View Post
    How could he have put 56L in? Its only a 55 L tank
    I know! What is this sorcery?

  7. #7
    Jr Member eSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pickering
    Age
    29
    Ride
    Skyactiv 3
    Posts
    732
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by dambay View Post
    How could he have put 56L in? Its only a 55 L tank
    Never understood that bit either

    But with mazda claiming it can reach 1000kms it's nice to see some real world proof even though he drove in conditions that probably none of us drive in on the regular ie) no traffic, steady speed under 100 and looked like some decent weather

  8. #8
    Sr Member The Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Slaughterloo
    Ride
    Peugeot SS
    Posts
    5,963
    Thanks
    276
    Thanked 483 Times in 252 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.
    Lie.
    NO CREW

  9. #9
    Sponsor Aitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Age
    38
    Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Posts
    7,654
    Thanks
    2,237
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Toss those numbers into Fuelly and you get 5.7L/100km. Hardly impressive, considering my 2.0L MZR from 2010 with 5MT is rated at 5.9L/100km hwy and I know I can easily do better in the summer on all highway trips.
    Just because....

    Yours is rated at 5.9, what makes you think you can achieve better than the stated fuel mileage when the Skyactiv is rated 4.9 on the highway and he achieved 5.7? (Unless you mean you've documented getting better than 5.9).

  10. #10
    Member sarujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,273
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    I have documented my consumption since day one - I know the MZR can meet and exceed it's rating. I am not suggesting it will get 4.9, but mid to upper 5's more realistic if you get the conditions right.

    This documented video should have been done in the summer time, and when the motor had more than 3500km's on it. I'm sure the Sky's down in Florida and California are a much better example. Constant warm temps - no winter gas, and more minimal ethanol blends, if at all.

    Note: Synthetic fluids (oil and trans), clean air filter, gentle throttle via smooth highway, speeds at 100 or less and tires at proper inflation are all necessary components
    Last edited by sarujo; 12-23-2012 at 03:18 PM.

  11. #11
    Newbie SkyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    58
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    anyhow im happy to see and impressed by the skyactiv in this video

  12. #12
    Jr Member Nova 3 GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Trois-Rivieres, QC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    I'm still impressive about the Skyactiv-G 2.0L in a Mazda3. It has about the same HP as my old 2.3L and yet gets good mileage as the MZR 2.0L
    馬自達 3 Sport GT 2006 - 27A (SOLD ) (2006-2015)

    CX-7 stubby - Axela badge - MS CAI - LED 3rd Brake Light - Full LED flasher conversion

  13. #13
    Jr Member Kessly Snipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by dambay View Post
    How could he have put 56L in? Its only a 55 L tank
    I put 58 in mine. Bone dry+fill the neck I guess. Or the pump was off.

  14. #14
    Jr Member dambay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North York, ON
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
    I put 58 in mine. Bone dry+fill the neck I guess. Or the pump was off.
    ....HE'S A WITCH!!!!!!!!

  15. #15
    Noob
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    I'm so disappointed.
    I came here thinking this was going to be a day long trip of awesome.
    Was greeted with a video.

  16. #16
    Jr Member $lickology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Cap City
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 145 Times in 103 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Its encouraging to see such good fuel economy numbers in the sky 3, Mazda gives its customers what they really want in fuel economy and sportiness.

  17. #17
    Jr Member Flunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    35
    Ride
    2016 Camaro 2LT V6
    Posts
    298
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Its not really unrealistic to get 1000km out of a tank in the Skyactive. It just takes unusual circumstances.


    For the record the best I've ever gotten is 6.4L/100km in my 2010 2.0L MZR-powered car. The was a trip that was mostly cruising along country roads at 90 without stopping.
    No RX8 Replacement = No Choice

  18. #18
    Noob
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    really tracked my old mpg closely ... going to be interesting to see what my new sky can do after the break-in in comparison

  19. #19
    Jr Member proDJtege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vaughan
    Age
    33
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Skyactive-D will do even better!... it better!
    ProDJtege //
    gone: Black 2002 Protege LX 2.0L [LEDs, modified intake, P5 side-skirts & OEM front lip]
    gone: Black 2008.5 GT 2.3L, mostly stock + LEDs + K&N filter + black painted calipers & hubs + Hawk HPS brake pads + synthetic 5w20 oil + STB + Flex 5-wire ground kit + Flex Big3 kit + 23% NR-charcoal tint
    Current: 2017 Dark Grey Subaru Forester 2.5i Ltd w/ tech + 23% NR Charcoal tint

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Man to have that you have to drive like a 80 year old guy and never step on the gas, **** that. I don't care about my car's consumption, I drive my car I don't baby it.

  21. #21
    Noob
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    My highest km I got is around 600km Ottawa to Montreal all Highway, with 3/4 fuel tank to empty.
    -Mark
    2012 Mazda 3 Hatchback Skyactiv

  22. #22
    Newbie frankie7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    51
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    ive done trips going 115kmph+ and get 750km on the tank. thats on a 4speed 2.0l !

  23. #23
    Jr Member zoomahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    581
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
    I put 58 in mine. Bone dry+fill the neck I guess. Or the pump was off.
    Hey Kessly, Hey dambay,
    Pump was not off. And yes one can put more than 55L in the tank. I do it all the time.

    The tank is rated @ 55L because its a manufacturer's determination of the capacity of the tank. And if you notice when you fill up, the trigger will click off once it reaches capacity (air pressure inside tank causes pump to shut off to prevent backflow). But once that limit is reached, one can put more in it. Trust me man, I've done it many many times before. In fact, I do it each time I fill up, but I only go 8$ more past that limit going forward. Most people have said it's not recommended for a number of reasons which I can't recall, but it's no big deal. I like to push the limits of things.

    I'm a detail kinda guy (no, not like hamza7), when it comes to life and being prepared. So last year when I bought my new Skyactiv3, I ran the tank down to where the last bar on the fuel gauge disappeared. I then recorded the mileage and kept going till it was virtually empty ....and I mean fart fumes empty :O . Since I drive primarily in town, I wasn't' worried about getting to a gas station, but I kept a jerry can with about 5 L of gas just in case . Once I was satisfied I ran it low enough, I got to a gas station and filled up till the pump shut off. It stopped when it got to bout 58.6 isshhh ....I kept putting in gas....slowly..... to see just how much I could put in (I like to test the limits of things)....I got a grand total of 64.4 L of fuel into that tank :O Damn that musta been empty ! ! I then recorded the mileage again and determined that I can go another 86 km with no problem until my car says to me "Hey A$$hole, get me to a gas station NOW or I'm gonna leave your a$$ on the road" !

    What's the point of doing what I just did you ask? Well, before you say "this guys a f*^&ing idiot, consider this; How often have you ever been busy with s*^t in your life, and now you have to get somewhere fast or you'll be late, only to get into your car to find out your on empty ! ! ! Well, WHEN that happens (notice I cap the word WHEN), you will know immediately how far you will be able to drive without running out of gas. It's all about limits man.

    All the speed3 guys add cobb access ports, SRI's, headers, etc etc, to their rides to fine tune their motors to see how fast they can go. And that's awesome as I love the speed3's and what they can do...very impressive for a 4 banger . But most skyactiv3 guys, me being one of them, want to "push" their rides to see how efficient fuel wise, these cars really are. I made a post about a recent trip I made to Toronto a few weeks back and posted some phenomenal results. But I was just about "burned at the proverbial internet stake" and flamed big time for whatev reason, guys said stuff like "my math skills SUCKED", and something else like "just shoot me if I ever drive that slow". Obviously saving money on gas, or keeping their insurance rates low don't seem to bother these guys ( I pay under a 1g per year for mine... how much do YOU pay?). But if anyone is interested (skyactiv3 guys), I can send you these stats. I recorded it on my iphone app "Roadtrip Lite" so the stats don't lie. The thread was locked because it was in the wrong section and I should have added it to another thread like this one. After I got my stats I calculated that at 95-98 km/hr, ac on, cruise on, coffee in hand, Maui Jim sunglasses on , the app calculated a 5.23 L/100 km...I can get about 1100 km to a tank.. and BETTER if I go 90 km on cruise, it logged 4.93 L / 100 km

    Someone also said earlier, something like "ya but that's going 90 km without stopping" or something like that. In answer to that, a standard has to be set in order to give someone something to compare to. It may not be YOUR driving style, but again, it's something to compare to...you want a fuel consumption stat that's more "YOUR" style? Go on a long haul (TO to MTL or Ottawa), put on the ac, TROMP on the gas to pass trucks n stuff, do 120, 130 km fill up at end of trip...and see how your results compare to the manufactures. I can guarantee it won't even be close to theirs... Oh and don't forget to add in the cost of your speeding tickets too in with your stats ok?

    Anyway, sorry for the ramble, that's my opinion and 2 cents....
    Last edited by zoomahh; 08-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    2012 Mz3 GS SkyActiv CWP Mods; DDM 50w 6k lows / Headlights tinted with Lamin-X 6% overlay / DRL Nokya Hyper Yellows / Foglights; Morimoto 35w 3K's with Lamin-X yellow overlay / Dealer tinted sides n rear / KiCkER kx 600.4 4ch amp / Alpine Type "R" comps front / Alpine SPR-68's rear / License plate LED's / Interior LED's /***MY ICE UPGRADE***http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Zoomahh's 2012-SkyActiv-ice-upgrade*** /Detail Day July 2013 http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...il-Day-!-!-!-D
    2011 Mz2 GX CWP (wifey's car) / led interiors only

  24. #24
    Jr Member Wisecraker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Age
    31
    Posts
    718
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by zoomahh View Post
    Hey Kessly, Hey dambay,
    Pump was not off. And yes one can put more than 55L in the tank. I do it all the time.

    The tank is rated @ 55L because its a manufacturer's determination of the capacity of the tank. And if you notice when you fill up, the trigger will click off once it reaches capacity (air pressure inside tank causes pump to shut off to prevent backflow). But once that limit is reached, one can put more in it. Trust me man, I've done it many many times before. In fact, I do it each time I fill up, but I only go 8$ more past that limit going forward. Most people have said it's not recommended for a number of reasons which I can't recall, but it's no big deal. I like to push the limits of things.

    I'm a detail kinda guy (no, not like hamza7), when it comes to life and being prepared. So last year when I bought my new Skyactiv3, I ran the tank down to where the last bar on the fuel gauge disappeared. I then recorded the mileage and kept going till it was virtually empty ....and I mean fart fumes empty :O . Since I drive primarily in town, I wasn't' worried about getting to a gas station, but I kept a jerry can with about 5 L of gas just in case . Once I was satisfied I ran it low enough, I got to a gas station and filled up till the pump shut off. It stopped when it got to bout 58.6 isshhh ....I kept putting in gas....slowly..... to see just how much I could put in (I like to test the limits of things)....I got a grand total of 64.4 L of fuel into that tank :O Damn that musta been empty ! ! I then recorded the mileage again and determined that I can go another 86 km with no problem until my car says to me "Hey A$$hole, get me to a gas station NOW or I'm gonna leave your a$$ on the road" !

    What's the point of doing what I just did you ask? Well, before you say "this guys a f*^&ing idiot, consider this; How often have you ever been busy with s*^t in your life, and now you have to get somewhere fast or you'll be late, only to get into your car to find out your on empty ! ! ! Well, WHEN that happens (notice I cap the word WHEN), you will know immediately how far you will be able to drive without running out of gas. It's all about limits man.

    All the speed3 guys add cobb access ports, SRI's, headers, etc etc, to their rides to fine tune their motors to see how fast they can go. And that's awesome as I love the speed3's and what they can do...very impressive for a 4 banger . But most skyactiv3 guys, me being one of them, want to "push" their rides to see how efficient fuel wise, these cars really are. I made a post about a recent trip I made to Toronto a few weeks back and posted some phenomenal results. But I was just about "burned at the proverbial internet stake" and flamed big time for whatev reason, guys said stuff like "my math skills SUCKED", and something else like "just shoot me if I ever drive that slow". Obviously saving money on gas, or keeping their insurance rates low don't seem to bother these guys ( I pay under a 1g per year for mine... how much do YOU pay?). But if anyone is interested (skyactiv3 guys), I can send you these stats. I recorded it on my iphone app "Roadtrip Lite" so the stats don't lie. The thread was locked because it was in the wrong section and I should have added it to another thread like this one. After I got my stats I calculated that at 95-98 km/hr, ac on, cruise on, coffee in hand, Maui Jim sunglasses on , the app calculated a 5.23 L/100 km...I can get about 1100 km to a tank.. and BETTER if I go 90 km on cruise, it logged 4.93 L / 100 km

    Someone also said earlier, something like "ya but that's going 90 km without stopping" or something like that. In answer to that, a standard has to be set in order to give someone something to compare to. It may not be YOUR driving style, but again, it's something to compare to...you want a fuel consumption stat that's more "YOUR" style? Go on a long haul (TO to MTL or Ottawa), put on the ac, TROMP on the gas to pass trucks n stuff, do 120, 130 km fill up at end of trip...and see how your results compare to the manufactures. I can guarantee it won't even be close to theirs... Oh and don't forget to add in the cost of your speeding tickets too in with your stats ok?

    Anyway, sorry for the ramble, that's my opinion and 2 cents....
    You said it brother. I participated in the Ontario Shuttle challenge. This is a program in which they give you a data logger and you plug it directly into your car. It then takes a two week baseline log of your regular driving and tells you how much gas, money, and GHG's you use. It then gives you a 10 minute course on how you can save money driving.
    You then drive another two weeks with a goal to beat your baseline stats by 10%. At the end of it all you get a 25 dollar gas card for participating and a 25 dollar gas card for beating your 10% target. Let me say I saved about 70 dollars in two weeks by following their tips and tricks. That's almost $2000 a year!
    The main tips were drive as close to or under 100 on the highway. Every km over 100 you drive is roughly 1% more gas your using. 10 seconds of idle is roughly equal to the amount of gas you need to start your car. There re many more tips. But the fact remains. If you want to hard start, hard stop, gun it on the highway or drive crazy, then you'd better be ready to pay for it. Think about what you could so with around 2000, the vacations, the car mods, the house payments.....or you can be cool and drive hard, always. It's your choice but I will be making my decision from Hawaii.

  25. #25
    Member Cab0oze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Montreal :(
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,255
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 202 Times in 131 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Skyactiv trip: toronto to quebec

    Quote Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
    I'm so disappointed.
    I came here thinking this was going to be a day long trip of awesome.
    Was greeted with a video.
    Organize a roadtrip to montreal and come visit your M3Q brothers!
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Toronto to Edmonton road trip- who's done it?
    By London3 in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
  3. Hello from Quebec
    By cham_fre in forum New User's Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-26-2010, 10:36 PM
  4. Toronto & Quebec meet in Ottawa
    By mEtH in forum Official Meets & Events
    Replies: 553
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •