Thread: Wiper parking too high

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wiper parking too high

I stupidly turned on my wipers once while they were frozen to the glass and now the passenger side is parking about an inch or so above where it is supposed to. The weird thing is that the wiper still works properly - it goes all the way up, and all the way down past this high park position, however the wiper always comes back up before it stops.

Even if I push the wiper blade down the the proper position, when I start the car again the wiper blades pop back up to this high parking spot again. Really annoying. Any ideas what it might be? Someone told me I might need to replace the wiper relay, but i can't find any info about this or even how to do it.

I actually had this same problem last year but it mysteriously fixed itself after a couple of weeks, not sure what caused it that time though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wiper parking too high

I've never taken them off before, but when I was investigating potential windshield creaking noise fixes last week on M3F I read that you could take the wipers off and reposition them. Maybe take it off and take a look... it didn't seem to be something that was hard to do.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i took my wipers of to plasti dip. then i installed them wrong like too high. All you have to do is get i think it was like an 11mm socket and unscrew the wiper and push it down, then hold the wiper while you screw the nut back in. Simple easy maybe 2-3 min of work
    Intake | Emblems Dipped | Tail light/ Fogs / Signals Blacked out | 7" inch display | 2 12" Clarion Sub woofers | Interior Light Conversion | Foot well lights | MS3 Style Spoiler | Rally Armour Mudflaps | EzLip | Plasti-Dipped Hood/Grill | Evil "M" Badge

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe there is only a "cap" you pop off at the base of each wiper blade. Under the cap is the nut, loosen, adjust, and voila!!
    U Mad Bro?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kilo4321 View Post
    I believe there is only a "cap" you pop off at the base of each wiper blade. Under the cap is the nut, loosen, adjust, and voila!!
    stupid question but how do you pop off the cap?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    stupid question but how do you pop off the cap?
    flat head screw driver, its just a little tab thing.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

be very careful popping off those caps... it's easy to put a knick on the wiper arm which will eventually cause rust!
    use a 12mm socket to loosen the wiper arms... push down at the hinge to pop them off the linkages so that you can reposition, tighten the nuts and test

there is a spec for where the wipers are parked:
    for the passenger side, it is 32mm from the edge of the plastic cowl to the end of wiper blade (measured at centre towards passenger side)
    for the driver's side, it is 30mm

I use a masking tape and make the reference markings on it and adjust the blades accordingly
    you may have to work the wipers to test their position, then adjust as necessary
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These things are a bitch....

Note to everyone... NEVER keep your auto wipers on in the winter. If something liek this happens it can strip the inside of the wiper arm...

Learned that the hard way one day when it was icy and started my car. Fortunately tho I got it fixed under warrenty.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could try adjusting but here's the problem - the wipers go up and down properly - meaning that when they go down, they go past the high parking spot to where it is actually supposed to park, but then always go back up to the high spot again.

So if I adjusted the arms so it parks lower, wouldn't the wipers hit the plastic cowl when I use them?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoXy View Post
    These things are a bitch....

Note to everyone... NEVER keep your auto wipers on in the winter. If something liek this happens it can strip the inside of the wiper arm...

Learned that the hard way one day when it was icy and started my car. Fortunately tho I got it fixed under warrenty.
    I hate my auto wipers with a passion. I want intermittent back! Lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tried to adjust the arm down, but just as I thought the wiper started hitting the plastic. Its not the arm position that's the problem, it's the wipers always popping up an inch before parking instead of parking at the bottom of the wipe. Seems like an electrical problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    So I tried to adjust the arm down, but just as I thought the wiper started hitting the plastic. Its not the arm position that's the problem, it's the wipers always popping up an inch before parking instead of parking at the bottom of the wipe. Seems like an electrical problem. Any ideas?
    The wiper motor has a set of contacts in it that trigger direction change, parking position, etc. Probably one of them is bent or otherwise messed up.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    The wiper motor has a set of contacts in it that trigger direction change, parking position, etc. Probably one of them is bent or otherwise messed up.
    Makes sense
    BUT - both wipers have this problem, it's just more apparent on the right wiper because it has to travel further. So the same contact is damaged in both motors?
    Or could there be potentially something else that controls the parking position of both wipers (ie: some kind of relay, which i was told may be the problem)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One motor for both sides, there is a linkage joining everything. I pulled the diagram today... contacts are inside of the motor, so they are likely not bent. However, a couple of the arms in the linkage are pre-bent (so they don't hit each other). So I see could the possibility of one them being forced out of shape if the wipers were frozen to the windshield. The linkage is under the front cowl... mostly plastic push clips holding it, plus you would need to remove the wiper arms.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last 3 I saw with this problem was an accident car. It had overcharging issues and the wipers wouldnt go back in proper place. The overcharging led back to the underhood wiring harness as the fuse box was rather damaged from the accident. Replaced that harness the overcharging went away and the wipers went back in to place. Not saying you need a harness but try a battery reset as we did remove that to replace the harness
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    One motor for both sides, there is a linkage joining everything. I pulled the diagram today... contacts are inside of the motor, so they are likely not bent. However, a couple of the arms in the linkage are pre-bent (so they don't hit each other). So I see could the possibility of one them being forced out of shape if the wipers were frozen to the windshield. The linkage is under the front cowl... mostly plastic push clips holding it, plus you would need to remove the wiper arms.
    Oh ok that makes sense then. I don't suppose you had a guide or pictures or something that would help me figure it out? I don't mind trying myself as long as I don't break anything, but I'm not too handy with cars so pictures of what I'm supposed to be looking for always help.

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    The last 3 I saw with this problem was an accident car. It had overcharging issues and the wipers wouldnt go back in proper place. The overcharging led back to the underhood wiring harness as the fuse box was rather damaged from the accident. Replaced that harness the overcharging went away and the wipers went back in to place. Not saying you need a harness but try a battery reset as we did remove that to replace the harness
    thanks for the idea, I had already reset the battery for something else already but it didn't have an effect on my wiper problem

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the park sensor that is going....had the same issue with my 2012 already..... its the board that's attached to the Wiper motor, it tells it where to stop......or, the main linkage that connects to the wiper motor was altered, loosen it and adjust (adjusting fro the wiper arm will not cure this issue).

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then it sounds like the motor has to be replaced?