Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvements after first oil change?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvements after first oil chan

I do on average about 450-500 mostly city but in the summer I was doing about 550-600. Can't wait for that warmth!

Quote Originally Posted by funkdupspeed3 View Post
    my best tank was 604km and that was with driving around til there was no bars left lol. My sky only have 6000kms and hoping the mileage improves in the spring/summer. I average about 475-500km/tank this winter. Ive had my first oil change and have not moticed a real difference as of yet. I bought a sky to save on fuel. At this rate, i shouldve kept my speed lol

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvesments after first oil cha

I finally hit 8k and had the first oil change over the weekend; but it didn't matter.

I was averaging about 700km a tank since April (which is far better than any other car I owned). Seems to have gotten better once the weather started getting warmer.

Less time needed for the car to warm-up and less ethanol ingredient in the fuel - maybe?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda 3 skyactiv owners notice any fuel economy improvements after first oil chan

I've only had my car maybe a month now, but it had 76000 on it when I got it, I'm about to roll 80000 and these are my numbers so far.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/reddie1337/3-skyactiv

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

CanadianBob (05-21-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm averaging 6.9L/100km with 60% highway and 40% city.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

169? The stop & go traffic must have been insane.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been driving about 5,000 km since my first oil change and haven't noticed any significant improvements. 650-750 km per tank usually

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the first few tanks my numbers stabilized. Hopefully they start downwards again after some more use.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always fill up at a 1/4 tank, and my best tank so far was 686.6 km (mostly highway). I filled up 38.4 L, so my mileage was 42.1 MPG or 5.6 L/100 km. If I continued to run the car to empty, I could've squeezed out another 300 km at those fuel economy numbers. Pretty impressive. Fuel economy is affected by so many factors, some of which are not in your control. It's pretty obvious what you can control though - speed, hard acceleration and braking, etc.

For you speeders, consider this the next time you're on the highway. Assuming you're driving 25 km to your destination, you'll cut just 2 minutes of your travel time going 120 km/h versus 100 km/h, but you'll use about 20% more fuel. If you did that every day, the cost would add up quickly. It's not worth the time savings at all, even though you "feel" you're getting there a lot faster. Source: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...echniques/7513

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanB View Post
    I always fill up at a 1/4 tank, and my best tank so far was 686.6 km (mostly highway). I filled up 38.4 L, so my mileage was 42.1 MPG or 5.6 L/100 km. If I continued to run the car to empty, I could've squeezed out another 300 km at those fuel economy numbers. Pretty impressive. Fuel economy is affected by so many factors, some of which are not in your control. It's pretty obvious what you can control though - speed, hard acceleration and braking, etc.

For you speeders, consider this the next time you're on the highway. Assuming you're driving 25 km to your destination, you'll cut just 2 minutes of your travel time going 120 km/h versus 100 km/h, but you'll use about 20% more fuel. If you did that every day, the cost would add up quickly. It's not worth the time savings at all, even though you "feel" you're getting there a lot faster. Source: http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/effici...echniques/7513
    I'm not so sure. This past weekend, I did a trip to Niagara and Wonderland both starting from Oakville and returning each day. I drove around 115 on the highway with 4 adults in the car. I used less than half a tank to go 425 KM, which is better than my regular average driving around when it's just me. I was quite surprised that I got that driving faster and with more people in the car.

I understand that cars work better at different speeds, but I feel like my Skyactiv with 6 spd, if I leave it in 6th and cruise at 100, the car has way more load on it when it goes up a hill (Cruise set). If I am driving at a higher speed, it doesn't have to work as hard or place as much of a load on the engine, in turn you use less fuel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I'm not so sure. This past weekend, I did a trip to Niagara and Wonderland both starting from Oakville and returning each day. I drove around 115 on the highway with 4 adults in the car. I used less than half a tank to go 425 KM, which is better than my regular average driving around when it's just me. I was quite surprised that I got that driving faster and with more people in the car.

I understand that cars work better at different speeds, but I feel like my Skyactiv with 6 spd, if I leave it in 6th and cruise at 100, the car has way more load on it when it goes up a hill (Cruise set). If I am driving at a higher speed, it doesn't have to work as hard or place as much of a load on the engine, in turn you use less fuel.
    It's possible. I'm not so sure either. I find the digital fuel gauge to be inconsistent though. I use it as a guideline only. I'm averaging 6.9 L/100 km, so I average 66.4 km per bar (12 bars on the fuel gauge). Right now, I have just over 100 km on my trip odometer, but my fuel gauge is showing full bars. That's definitely BS because I haven't done any highway driving on this tank yet. I should be down at least one bar, if not two. Even if it was all highway driving on this tank so far, the gauge would still be inaccurate displaying full bars. As I mentioned in my previous post, my best tank was 5.6 L/100 km mostly highway driving; I would get 81.8 km per bar at these numbers. Even at this mileage, my fuel gauge should be down one bar.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tracked the bar somewhat with my scan tool (shows fuel percentage) and the bars don't always add up, I normally get 100 k to first bar, even driving city. It all depends on driving style. I find that the first bar normally disappears around 85% (when the percentage is consistently under 85%) the percentage jumps around because the fuel is constantly moving when driving. I find 3/4 and 1/2 are normally right around 75% and 50% respectively. So I don't think the gauge is lying. It also depends on the evap system letting you fill up, if you fill slower, you can get more gas in the tank before the pump auto shuts off. (Pressure doesn't build as quickly that way, and I'm not saying it's good to fill the charcoal canister with gas, just saying it can be done)

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tracked the bar somewhat with my scan tool (shows fuel percentage) and the bars don't always add up, I normally get 100 k to first bar, even driving city. It all depends on driving style. I find that the first bar normally disappears around 85% (when the percentage is consistently under 85%) the percentage jumps around because the fuel is constantly moving when driving. I find 3/4 and 1/2 are normally right around 75% and 50% respectively. So I don't think the gauge is lying. It also depends on the evap system letting you fill up, if you fill slower, you can get more gas in the tank before the pump auto shuts off. (Pressure doesn't build as quickly that way, and I'm not saying it's good to fill the charcoal canister with gas, just saying it can be done)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found that if I go all out empty (gauge says 50km or less on the current tank) and its fill up time - the gas pump stops around 47-48 litres. I wait a second and continue (a few times) and push it to about 52-53 litres.

This gets me shy of 800km on a full tank (like 790 ish). I fill up every two weeks roughly because thats how many km I put on in that time - consistently.

The first bar in the fuel gauge doesn't change until after 300km. After that, I get 250km in the first half and a little less in the second.

Best fuel mileage I have ever seen in a 4 cylinder.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianBob For This Useful Post:

greyseason (10-06-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bump the thread but I have to chime in. Having owned my 2012 Sky for almost 3 weeks I am getting Fuelly numbers in the range of 8.5 to 8.9 L/100km (only 3 fill ups so far). Those numbers are terrible IMO and I don't know what's wrong. I am running winter tires at about 31-32psi all around, I don't drive it hard, and I rarely use the front defrost (ie. A/C). My commute is about 60km daily with the morning commute being about an average speed of 90km/h and in the evening it's a bit slower (this tank I've been doing 409 to 401 to 400 to 407 and then taking hwy 7 from Keele). Right now I'm at about 360KM with about 6 bars remaining (2 before the 1/4 tank level). Most of the driving is just myself (150lbs) so there isn't any weight in the car. Does this sound reasonable for winter? I filled up last Sunday and have been driving very conservatively.

The car has 53,000KM (I bought it at 51617) so the only thing I'm thinking is the air filter may need to be replaced. I've meant to check it but between work and it being too damn cold I haven't had the chance. When I had it in at Airport Mazda (I wanted to make sure I had fresh, synthetic oil they didn't say anything so maybe it's ok.
    Last edited by Dreamliner; 02-14-2015 at 07:27 PM.

2012 MZ3 SkyActiv - Graphite Grey Mica

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
    Sorry to bump the thread but I have to chime in. Having owned my 2012 Sky for almost 3 weeks I am getting Fuelly numbers in the range of 8.5 to 8.9 L/100km (only 3 fill ups so far). Those numbers are terrible IMO and I don't know what's wrong. I am running winter tires at about 31-32psi all around, I don't drive it hard, and I rarely use the front defrost (ie. A/C). My commute is about 60km daily with the morning commute being about an average speed of 90km/h and in the evening it's a bit slower (this tank I've been doing 409 to 401 to 400 to 407 and then taking hwy 7 from Keele). Right now I'm at about 360KM with about 6 bars remaining (2 before the 1/4 tank level). Most of the driving is just myself (150lbs) so there isn't any weight in the car. Does this sound reasonable for winter? I filled up last Sunday and have been driving very conservatively.

The car has 53,000KM (I bought it at 51617) so the only thing I'm thinking is the air filter may need to be replaced. I've meant to check it but between work and it being too damn cold I haven't had the chance. When I had it in at Airport Mazda (I wanted to make sure I had fresh, synthetic oil they didn't say anything so maybe it's ok.
    Six bars remaining should be half a tank.
    The PSI in the tires will also help because if you look in the door it calls for 36psi all around.
    8.5L/100k in the winter isn't terrible on these cars.
    If you use floor and defrost that will also kick the AC on, without any lights.
    @Dreamliner

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/20...4873/fuelchart

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not doing fuelly at the moment but I'm getting less than 400km/tank right now, mostly very short city trips. The weather is killer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Six bars remaining should be half a tank.
    The PSI in the tires will also help because if you look in the door it calls for 36psi all around.
    8.5L/100k in the winter isn't terrible on these cars.
    If you use floor and defrost that will also kick the AC on, without any lights.
    @Dreamliner

http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/20...4873/fuelchart
    I am one bar below half a tank, so a total of 5 bars (I got confused and thought each quarter was 4 bars, not 3). Yes, I am well aware that the A/C kicks on when the defrost modes are used and I try to use those modes only when necessary and for short periods. When I get a chance, I'll up the pressure in the tires to around 34-35psi and see how it feels. I don't like to put my pressures too high and I don't like the hard ride it gives.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am one bar below half a tank, so a total of 5 bars (I got confused and thought each quarter was 4 bars, not 3). Yes, I am well aware that the A/C kicks on when the defrost modes are used and I try to use those modes only when necessary and for short periods. When I get a chance, I'll up the pressure in the tires to around 34-35psi and see how it feels. I don't like to put my pressures too high and I don't like the hard ride it gives.
    The 2012 Mazda 3 manual also has this verbiage about the recommended psi for snow/winter tires on page 4-10.

Snow Tires
    Use snow tires on all four wheels
    Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
    while driving with snow tires. Inflate
    snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
    more than recommended on the tire
    pressure label (driver's door frame), but
    never more than the maximum

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    The 2012 Mazda 3 manual also has this verbiage about the recommended psi for snow/winter tires on page 4-10.

Snow Tires
    Use snow tires on all four wheels
    Do not go faster than 120 km/h (75 mph)
    while driving with snow tires. Inflate
    snow tires 30 kPa (0.3 kgf/cm2, 4.3 psi)
    more than recommended on the tire
    pressure label (driver's door frame), but
    never more than the maximum
    I put about 33-34psi in my snow-tires on Monday (I need to check the pressure after they sit for a few hours). As for the manual stating 30psi, that's what I believe the tire pressure label recommends for all-seasons. The part about 4.3psi more than the label is confusing (how can 30psi be 4.3psi more than recommended)?

This morning I filled up and fuelly indicated my mileage to be 8.5L/100km.
    Last edited by Dreamliner; 02-18-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put about 33-34psi in my snow-tires on Monday (I need to check the pressure after they sit for a few hours). As for the manual stating 30psi, that's what I believe the tire pressure label recommends for all-seasons. The part about 4.3psi more than the label is confusing (how can 30psi be 4.3psi more than recommended)?

This morning I filled up and fuelly indicated my mileage to be 8.5L/100km.

Oh, it's the different units that is confusing. They say inflate snow tires 30kPa (kilopascals I believe which they say is equivalent to 4.3psi) more than the plate on the drivers door frame says. I don't have a 2012 sky but the manual on page 10-11 shows the tire size as P205/55R16 89H and recommended inflation pressure of 36psi. So, basically they are trying to say inflate your tires to about 40-41psi for snow tires.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    Oh, it's the different units that is confusing. They say inflate snow tires 30kPa (kilopascals I believe which they say is equivalent to 4.3psi) more than the plate on the drivers door frame says. I don't have a 2012 sky but the manual on page 10-11 shows the tire size as P205/55R16 89H and recommended inflation pressure of 36psi. So, basically they are trying to say inflate your tires to about 40-41psi for snow tires.
    Ah, 30hPa not psi. Based on Google 4.3psi is equal to that. However, I will say that at 40-41psi your going to be banging around like crazy when you hit bumps. Even at 35psi I find the ride is a bit too solid for my liking. Generally my rule is 33-36psi year around (A/S or Winters). Of course, the higher the PSI the less resistance so that probably explains how people get 5.7L/100km. Feeling like I've got solid steel for tires isn't worth the extra 1-2L extra.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, 30hPa not psi. Based on Google 4.3psi is equal to that. However, I will say that at 40-41psi your going to be banging around like crazy when you hit bumps. Even at 35psi I find the ride is a bit too solid for my liking. Generally my rule is 33-36psi year around (A/S or Winters). Of course, the higher the PSI the less resistance so that probably explains how people get 5.7L/100km. Feeling like I've got solid steel for tires isn't worth the extra 1-2L extra.
    Hmm, I'm running at 39-40psi and the ride seems fine though I did come from a old vehicle with worn suspension. And of my fuelly numbers don't look good either so perhaps the tire pressure doesn't contribute that much?
    5.7L/100km sounds pretty optimistic looking at the fuelly data for 2012 mazda 3's.
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/3/2012

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drive about 70km each way to work from Pickering to Oakville across the 401 in pretty awful traffic. I also keep my winter tires at around 39-40psi. Have been getting a pretty consistent 7.0 l/100km in my 2012 sky.

I have found that adding any significant amount of city driving kills my mileage though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCobb View Post
    I have a very high fuel consumption, so I want to switch to a more economical option. What do you advise?
    https://ladadate.com/
    Im sure finding a lady date and not driving decreases fuel consumption

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234