Thread: 2006 Mazda 3, Next Car Not a Mazda

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2006 Mazda 3, Next Car Not a Mazda

Problems, Transmission runs very hot and requires all too often oil service. Seems to be common
    Struts wore out early. Seems to be common
    Friends cam-shaft went in his tribute with a 2.3.
    Alternator went recently.
    Gas mileage poor.
    Mazda rated poor by JD power and associates for reliability

I like the car and have not had a lot of problems. I just expected less problems than my past vehicles that were domestics.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 Mazda 3, Next Car Not a Mazda

one more issue, seems like there is something going on under the paint. I have a lot of spots showing through the paint that are perhaps early signs of rust.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can attest to the transmission running hot, when I bought my 06 M3 initially and took it in for the first oil change the transmission fluid was burned! That said, I don't know how you can hold someones random cam shaft dying against mazda as a whole, that's like saying no other vehicle has ever had a cam-shaft fail. I was getting 8.9L/100km according to the trip computer, which isn't bad. As for being rated poor by JD Power, I'd like to see some evidence for that. In JD Powers IQS for 2012, Mazda is above average, tied with BWM with 97 PP100 (problems per 100 vehicles). Industry average is 102, lowest was Lexus at 73. I'd hardly call that a poor.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3black View Post
    one more issue, seems like there is something going on under the paint. I have a lot of spots showing through the paint that are perhaps early signs of rust.
    Sounds like rail dust or similar. Is your car white? Are the spots orangey in colour? Lots of people think they're rust spots, clay barring the car will completely eliminate this "problem" since it's on top of the paint, not under it.

Ride
    Peugeot SS
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear ya OP.
    NO CREW

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, it was a lexus dealer in London who showed me the JD power listings showing Lexus at the top and Mazda wayy down at the bottom. Apparently car salespeople are not to be trusted ; )

As for the motor issue, I only know a few people personally with them and have to set the odds in that....realm or data set I guess. Another had problems with his instrumentation panel going dark .(co-worker...It was a big issue for him but I did not really follow it).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are driving a 2006 things like that are bound to go on them. I lost my alternator on my 04 Chevy Optra 2 years ago, so I replaced it, but only once. I have yet (knock on wood) to replace anything major in my car but I am sure give it a few more years (mine is a 2008) I will have to. I don't find I have to change my oil that often...quite the contrary I actually go much over and it runs fine and my oil is still pretty clean.

Struts from what I have heard is a common issue, but there are going to be weak points in any car poor struts on this model, bad electronics on that model, bad engine the next.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had much luck with my 2006 Mazda 3 either.
    -Lower left arm, replaced
    -Brakes+rotors replaced
    - new water pump/belts
    - new tires

This car is burning a hole in my wallet, and I just want rid of it now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Struts and suspension also, replaced. This is all within the last 9 months.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davmcn View Post
    -Brakes+rotors replaced
    - new water pump/belts
    - new tires

Most of those are wear items........
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If those are all just wear items, it looks like the previous owner before me just never did any up keeping of the car and now i'm stuck with that.

Ride
    2015 F250 XLT 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for an 06 pads and rotors as well as tires would just be regular matinance it wouldnt matter if it was a mazda or any other make of this age they are wear items

-Brakes+rotors replaced
    - new water pump/belts
    - new tires

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 Mazda3, 202,000 km right now. Nothing is wrong with it, except for the rust, and that it won't die. I've been wanting to get a new car, but it just keeps going and going. I'm the third owner, and for the past 70,000 km, the alternator went, the struts went, and the common engine mount went. That's about it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have owned my 06 from new and have found it to be a very reliable and efficeint vehicle. I have the manual transmission and this vehicle has great speed and excelleration. Handling is off the charts, great manueverability for city and highway traffic. Fuel economy is better than advertised total rating is 7.9L per 100K (that is city and highway combined). A very happy vehicle!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh everyone has their issue. The comment complain here is rust but I bet you you can google any car with the word rust and you'll find tons of posts about problems. Even the cars with 12 year rust warranty have hits on the internet. Likely Mazda still has more issues but it's not a problem restricted to them.

As for other reliability issue you have a 2006 and frankly those things aren't that bad. We brought a new Nissan Sentra SER in 2008 and within the first year my dealership got 15k worth of warranty work from that car. It goes:

1) Entire steering assembly (column and rack) replaced within first month due to a shuddering of the car and noise when turning wheel towards full lock at low speed
    2) Fuel pump replace (integrated with fuel gauge) as fuel gauge would not show full even if the fuel has spurted out of the filler
    3) Master brake cylinder recall. I actually got low fluid warning. Took 3 weeks for the part to come in so they had to rent me a car for 3 weeks
    4) Left wing mirror replaced because they fitted an unheated mirror (the car's suppose to have 2 heated one).
    5) Upholstery coming off on the rear bench. Entire bench replaced.
    6) A constant squeak coming from the rear when you go over bumps, takes turns. This they never fixed. Stripped the rear of the car and tighten down everything and never found the cause. Only spraying of body lubricant stops the noise for a while

Would I buy a Nissan again? Well maybe if the feature and the price is right. Yes I got what they would call a lemon in the USA but the car is fine after all the fixes. The only problem they couldn't fix is the squeaking. My family still have the car and my brother and sister in law uses it as their 2nd car while my parents are away.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I owned a 97 tercel, and it was probably the best car that ive ever owned. Yes it did have problems such as...

1) The suspension was going on it (which is because i had an overly large friend and their friend was even bigger.) i guess these cares weren't meant to take the weight.
    2) One of the power steering lines went on it (which is because i was an idiot and always cranked the steering way to far and hard i guess).
    3) The Gas tank was leaking out the seam on the back. (i couldn't fill it more the half way because I was worried of people throwing cigarettes out their window and making my car blow up.

Aside from changing the power steering line and the gas tank i had no real problems to really complain about.
    MODS: Red L.E.D interior lights, L.E.D reverse lights. More to come!!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If those are all just wear items, it looks like the previous owner before me just never did any up keeping of the car and now i'm stuck with that.
    should have purchased a new car then.. hard to really say what the old driver may or may not have done on the vehicle. only way around that is to get a new car and then you know every service completed. my 2010 3 with 72,000 km so far. oil change every 8k, the 3 annual services and brake maint, trans flush at 24k and again at 72k. and brakes are still 6-7mm left. at this rate they wont need replacement until 120k+

mind you between the 2006 and now 2013 has had a fair number of changes over the years as well so its always something to think about. but if the cost of the car repairs is not more then a new cars finance cost and insurance difference between them then really its not that much more expensive. say you financed a new car and paid $318 a month. if you are not paying more then $3816 for your yearly car maint then its not more expensive then your yearly payments on that new car. + the insurance difference between + the maint on that car ( say $400 + hst per year + for the first 2-3 years) so you need to take that into account as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless one gets a lemon used car, of a reasonable age, it is almost always going to cost less to maintain and buy than to buy a new one and maintain it.

However, there's more to buying a car than just the raw cost of what you paid/is paying. Having an unreliable car is stressful (I should know I got to know my nissan mechanics more than I would like) and a waste of your time (which should have a value to it). And also if you have been tracking the latest development in crash testing new generation of cars gets safer each year as the crash testing get more challenging. Case in point would be how badly the new camry and most mid sized cars did on the small overlap test. And how badly the current Mazda 3 did on rear seat side impacts.

So personally, while I would like to save the bucks by getting a used car I don't think saving 10k, 20k or even 50k is worth putting myself and people I love in a car that doesn't have the latest safety features.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gees, some ppl like to complain for nothing haha. lost of mine are wear and tear parts. and most, i changed myself.

257000 kms. 04 with the 2.3L engine

- clutch got replaced 10k after i got the car (at 40k, figure whoever owned the car before didnt know how to drive standard)
    - rear rotos and pads (car got towed with the parking brake on)
    - front pads cause i wanted to, still stock front rotors. they need to be changed as they are warped.
    - thermostat.
    - shocks all around
    - bushings in the rear
    - drive shaft has been redone
    - front wheel bearings
    - rear motor mount
    - pass motor mount
    - one of my front lower control arms needs to be changed (was told this last week when i went for an oil change)
    - engine is leaking oil by the timing chain gasket (getting that fixed this summer)
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gotak View Post
    Unless one gets a lemon used car, of a reasonable age, it is almost always going to cost less to maintain and buy than to buy a new one and maintain it.

So personally, while I would like to save the bucks by getting a used car I don't think saving 10k, 20k or even 50k is worth putting myself and people I love in a car that doesn't have the latest safety features.
    exactly. it may cost more but the peace of mind is way worth it. for the money in repairs i spent in my old 2002 ford focus. unless it was a car i had to have i would buy it brand new. or with low to next to no km less then 24,000km.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this sour grapes about used cars is making me slightly worried. Bought myself an '06 three weeks ago.....would hate to think i got a lemon. It is always a risk when you buy used, but more often than not it works out. My sister bought a 2007 Rav4 two years ago with 64000k and it hasn't had an issue at all. Aside from new tires and a change of the gas tank sensor, there has been no problem.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it makes you feel better I bought my 07 2 years ago and other then routine maintenance I've never had to do a thing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterm15 View Post
    If it makes you feel better I bought my 07 2 years ago and other then routine maintenance I've never had to do a thing.
    To tell you the truth i'm not overly worried. There are a couple of things that DO need to be done to my car, but nothing overly worrisome. The dealership i did my oil change at a couple of weeks ago said the car was in tip top shape...aside from the three things i need to do. And at the end of the month when i get some cash together i'll be visiting Booster, who has given me a nice price on those things.

And honestly the whole reason i joined this site was to help me through any issues i have with the car. If i hadn't found this place i'd be a bit more paranoid. With this place i'm more at ease. From friendly advice and answer from people (ie. peter, booster, carbon, etc), to great discounts from our sponsers.

Ride
    2007 Mazda 3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to own a new Nissan that had loads of problems in the first year of ownership that Nissan said it was a know issue and were working on it. They never found solutions to the problems. I have owned a 2005 Mazda for 4 years and a 2007 Mazda for 2 years now. In the 2007, my AC compressor went which was a pain. However, the good news is there are forums like this one to help in fixing your car and getting advice and deals. It is sometimes a good thing when something needs repair because you can replace it with something better. Shocks gone, no problem install some Konis and lower it. It can suck though when it happens all at once but staying on top of maintenance and checking under the hood frequently lets you see where problems may be occurring and helps to budget!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be fair and reasonable here.

It's so easy to blame a manufacturer for a crappy vehicle but most people buying used never actually (seriously) consider inspecting it properly and have an idea of some sort of maintenance record. I have seen people treat their cars like absolute crap and not maintain it properly. This is a bigger factor in your luck with used, not just the brand being Mazda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast