Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 Mazda 3, Next Car Not a Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by zmz3 View Post
    Let's be fair and reasonable here.

It's so easy to blame a manufacturer for a crappy vehicle but most people buying used never actually (seriously) consider inspecting it properly and have an idea of some sort of maintenance record. I have seen people treat their cars like absolute crap and not maintain it properly. This is a bigger factor in your luck with used, not just the brand being Mazda.

Amen! That is why i made sure to get a copy of the Car Proof report. On top of making sure a mechanic checked it out. Same when i helped my sister pick out her Rav4. Made sure all the bases were covered. You have to do your due diligence when you buy a used car, don't expected the dealer to do that for you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterm15 View Post
    If it makes you feel better I bought my 07 2 years ago and other then routine maintenance I've never had to do a thing.
    I'm the same way owned my 06 for 6 yrs and haven't had any problems at all.Regular maintenance goes a long way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I had less problems with my car than average Mazda owner...or maybe not. 2005 2L Mazda 3, just passed 154K today.

Engine coolant flush ~90K (maintenance)
    Rear pads and rotors replaced at ~90K (wear item)
    Front pads and rotors at ~130K (wear item)
    Brake fluid flush at ~130K (maintenance)
    Passenger motor mount failed at ~130K (required repair)
    Spark plugs replaced ~135K (wanted to get that done but they were still good)
    Transmission flush at ~140K (maintenance)

This is all the repairs/maintenance I've done, not including oil changes. (running synthetic since 100K)
    Last edited by Hotsky; 11-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Ride
    2017 Ram sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On my 3rd motor but hey, at least I got no rust lol
    2007 MS3 - Cobb AP - Cobb TI - Cobb intake - 3" catless DP - stage1 tune - Autotech hpfp - RX8 rims - weathertech mats -

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I can't stand the shortcomings of the Ford lineage that this car has. I went and scoped out the 2014's, and everything feels rather cheap. I'm out next time around.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    To be honest, I can't stand the shortcomings of the Ford lineage that this car has. I went and scoped out the 2014's, and everything feels rather cheap. I'm out next time around.
    you think the mazda went cheap.. go check out the ford. i dont know what it is but i feel the quality on the focus just dropped over the years since i owned my 02. the st is nice but thats an expensive car by itself, and there is so much tech in those cars with the ford sync that i cant wait to hear about people once they need to spend money on replacement electrical items. mind you.. what mazda shared with ford at the time the 06 was built wasnt much. they share blocks, some engine parts and calipers. some other nicks and nacks but nothing inside i am aware of, or that i have seen a fomoco stamp on. so it wasnt a ford issue youd have a problem with. it was just the 06 mazda 3.. but in 7 -8 years and fast forward to the 2014 and there is huge leaps and bounds over the 06 model and the 2010 model. but to each there own. im sure with the next car youd own you will have issues with it to things you dont like and wish you had or was done another way. i love my 2010 3 but i sure wish some slight changes were made and hopefully they are better by the next time i come around to replace it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford prefers a modular design so the different cars can share the same components. Mazda prefers to have tight coupling between components (SkyActiv) so they can optimize the car. For example, they optimize the gas engine rather than bolt on a turbo. The Ford stuff is being incrementally removed.

You can always try a Honda Civic (I had 2006LX). It's a satisfactory car but rather boring and predictable.. except 2012.
    2016 Mazda3 GT sedan, 6-spd auto+sport mode+paddles, Luxury Pkg, 18" dark alloy wheels, deep blue mica

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check this out. 2014 Mazda 3 compared to other cars. It was ranked no. 1.

http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/...ct-cars/?all=1

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2006 also and this is what I can attest to..

- Transmission runs perfectly.
    - I run Pennzoil synthetic oil and I've had no issues.
    - Struts are still as good as new.
    - Alternator is fine.
    - Gas mileage, I'll admit, sucks.. but it's usually in the city where it's bad. Highway driving I can get almost 800km to a tank + the reserve.

It all depends on how you drive your car to; if you run it really hard, odds are you're going to break shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3black View Post
    Problems, Transmission runs very hot and requires all too often oil service. Seems to be common
    Struts wore out early. Seems to be common
    Friends cam-shaft went in his tribute with a 2.3.
    Alternator went recently.
    Gas mileage poor.
    Mazda rated poor by JD power and associates for reliability

I like the car and have not had a lot of problems. I just expected less problems than my past vehicles that were domestics.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well I tell you when mine goes you bet ill be owning another 3. Bought mine brand new in August of 07. In that time I had to change the clutch (75k never knew how to drive a standard when I bought it and was 17. I ripped on it) rear shocks went on it but was replaced on warranty, regular maintence. Car now has 238k on it and I've changed the brakes 3 times, transmission will need replaced this summer, front struts will need replaced, front wheel bearings will also need to be done. But other then that I haven't had to do anything major to it. It runs like a champ to this day and I try to keep it up as best as I can.
    They say I'm an addict but I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs. I'm an addict because I can't live without bass. Car audio is my addiction. And it will never change.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this thread as much as everyone who freaks out when an 06 has rust. No one realizes that the cars are 8 years old. Accept that you're going to run into problems with a car that old. Also, I think the 3 was ahead of its class back when, so everyone thinks they are not as old as they actually are. Therefore, problems seem terrible, but the cars not 4 years old, its 8. /rant

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine's an '06 and the rust just started.. hoping to fix it in the spring time.. a little TLC and it'll be as good as new.. great f'ing car though!

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloops View Post
    I hate this thread as much as everyone who freaks out when an 06 has rust. No one realizes that the cars are 8 years old. Accept that you're going to run into problems with a car that old. Also, I think the 3 was ahead of its class back when, so everyone thinks they are not as old as they actually are. Therefore, problems seem terrible, but the cars not 4 years old, its 8. /rant

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a 2006 this past December, put in new pads + rotors and new passenger strut. Still got one thing to deal with - airbag light in gauge not turning off.
    Pics of my 2006 Rally White GS Sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm driving an 06 2 point slow! Honest answer I love the car! I just started noticing rust on the third light this year! Not bad compared to others I have seen! Motor wise. It's been great! Just general tlc. I have to do the alternator this summer but again just have to maintain the car by the way mine is basic basic the most power I've got is power locks!
    IG: 2pointlow

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an 06 Sedan 2.3 S Model, bought it 3 yrs ago with 85,000 highway clicks and have put on another 110,000 clicks. Has been the most reliable ride I've had in a long time. Nothing major needing work except regular stuff, front wheel hub, engine mount, front breaks and that's about it Most of my mileage is highway. I was hoping for much better mileage as this is the smallest car I've ever owned. It's going to my son though for university and sure will serve him well. I'm looking to go bigger, but I've loved the reliability and simple interiors on these cars I might just move up to a newer model when I hand over the keys.
    KYB'S AND PROKITS, MS REAR SWAY,RX8's

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can I say haven't had to do anything more than regular maintenance to my vehicles. Bought a 2003 Protege new, a 2005 RX-8 new (still own), 2010 3 used. Really enjoy the way that these cars drive.

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car has just under 100,000km and the only really surprising thing is that I had to replace the automatic transmission fluid at about 85,000km because it was burned. I don't think I've ever had to do that so early, but it's not terribly expensive to change. I'm hoping to make 200,000km without any major expenditures, fingers crossed on that. Overall I like the car and the interior is in very good shape. I think I'm going to go for something with a bit more power next time but I think a new Mazda is going to be my all-purpose backup plan for the foreseeable future, you get a lot for your money.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flunk View Post
    My car has just under 100,000km and the only really surprising thing is that I had to replace the automatic transmission fluid at about 85,000km because it was burned. I don't think I've ever had to do that so early, but it's not terribly expensive to change. I'm hoping to make 200,000km without any major expenditures, fingers crossed on that. Overall I like the car and the interior is in very good shape. I think I'm going to go for something with a bit more power next time but I think a new Mazda is going to be my all-purpose backup plan for the foreseeable future, you get a lot for your money.
    Transmission fluid should always be changed ~80000km. It's normally the service interval for factory fluid.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12