Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question (OEM) 2013 Mazda 3 - New full-size Navigation Unit

Hi Guys,

Wondering if the new nav unit (official - not aftermarket), will plug straight into an older 3 (2010, 2011, 2012) and just work?

Steering wheel bluetooth button?

And curious if anyone has a price for it?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: (OEM) 2013 Mazda 3 - New full-size Navigation Unit

Does the new unit still use the stupid SD card or does it have a new way to update the software?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GSXi View Post
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if the new nav unit (official - not aftermarket), will plug straight into an older 3 (2010, 2011, 2012) and just work?

Steering wheel bluetooth button?

And curious if anyone has a price for it?

i would suspect no and expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have read it uses "TOMTOM" for the GPS software and yes it is on a SD card...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    i would suspect no and expensive.
    Oh I would agree expensive, since the original 6CD in dash oem head unit is over 1400 from the dealer.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just my personal pref. I'm more inclined to use any 7" tablet (Nexus 7, Tab 2, etc.) with google maps than purchase a new head unit. Never been a fan of other third party nav compared to google maps. Never have to worry about updates. Plus you can use apps such as torque lite, dash command, etc. If you got data to burn on your smartphone, just tether and the web's your oyster (fb, twitter, netflix, and so on). Just place a car mount for install. Easy mod Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly understand why someone would appreciate an in-dash head unit with nav.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by r4mi5awi View Post
    Just my personal pref. I'm more inclined to use any 7" tablet (Nexus 7, Tab 2, etc.) with google maps than purchase a new head unit. Never been a fan of other third party nav compared to google maps. Never have to worry about updates. Plus you can use apps such as torque lite, dash command, etc. If you got data to burn on your smartphone, just tether and the web's your oyster (fb, twitter, netflix, and so on). Just place a car mount for install. Easy mod Nevertheless, I wholeheartedly understand why someone would appreciate an in-dash head unit with nav.
    +1, except the fact that not all Data plans are made the same...even the ones with data to burn. If someone were to go across boarder often, then that may not be a feasible option. First time I went to NYC by myself, I used my iPhone from time to time to not get lost. Came back to almost a $500 cell bill.
    If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that got 1,000 MPG - Bill Gates

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks sickk damn ! I think it would be at least $1000 with install at a dealer

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dietsprite View Post
    Looks sickk damn ! I think it would be at least $1000 with install at a dealer
    Dream on, I bet you could double that amount and still not have enough money. The regular 6 CD changer head unit is over 1400 Bucks alone.

Pat.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default (OEM) 2013 Mazda 3 - New full-size Navigation Unit

Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post
    Dream on, I bet you could double that amount and still not have enough money. The regular 6 CD changer head unit is over 1400 Bucks alone.

Pat.
    Does there HO not see how out of line this is with aftermarket? Like I get that they are a stealership/this is OEM and charge as much as they can get away with, but you will get the number 1, top of the line, aftermarket deck for 1400 bucks??
     photo pickingupladieslikeagentleman_zpsd51e5355.gif

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mathew.poulos View Post
    Does there HO not see how out of line this is with aftermarket? Like I get that they are a stealership/this is OEM and charge as much as they can get away with, but you will get the number 1, top of the line, aftermarket deck for 1400 bucks??
    ok no need for a "stealership comment" the parts are priced based on cost to build and the tech it took to get it integrated into the vehicle. yes i agree some oem parts are expensive i wont try to defend that. but you need to look at the whole what does it offer, what did it cost to get the tom tom unit packaged with the radio and the tech and modules to make it all work and run. yes you can get an aftermarket unit for cheaper.. from a company that only does dash units and does not build cars. so its easier to make take a tablet like device. put it in a plastic dash kit, hook up the buttons and build a wire harness for it.. but get them to build a car and you will wonder why you need to pay $50,000 for your samsung galaxy road car that comes with less options then a base honda civic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok no need for a "stealership comment" the parts are priced based on cost to build and the tech it took to get it integrated into the vehicle. yes i agree some oem parts are expensive i wont try to defend that. but you need to look at the whole what does it offer, what did it cost to get the tom tom unit packaged with the radio and the tech and modules to make it all work and run. yes you can get an aftermarket unit for cheaper.. from a company that only does dash units and does not build cars. so its easier to make take a tablet like device. put it in a plastic dash kit, hook up the buttons and build a wire harness for it.. but get them to build a car and you will wonder why you need to pay $50,000 for your samsung galaxy road car that comes with less options then a base honda civic.
    If I understand what your saying correctly your telling me I am paying more for my Headunit because they build cars not electronics? Isn't the head unit part of the car?

If its so easy for other companies to do it why not contract it out to them?

Stealership isn't a slam on dealers it's a pun thrown around when ranting about prices, no offense ment by any means

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand what your saying correctly your telling me I am paying more for my Headunit because they build cars not electronics? Isn't the head unit part of the car?
    If its so easy for other companies to do it why not contract it out to them?
    Stealership isn't a slam on dealers it's a pun thrown around when ranting about prices, no offense ment by any means
    i understand its a "pun" but i work for one and feel we do everything we can to help people and yes prices are high for some items and less for others. but im sure if you call ford and ask them for a cost on there radio with the ford sync its going to be even more money. i dont like paying for an expensive tv at futureshop. but if i want it. i pay it. dont call them a bunch of crooks for making money on something i want or need to have, just more defensive about the term is all. so if the op wants the radio if it was possible it would work. there is a cost ( pay to play ) otherwise.. should have purchased the car model that came with that OEM unit or go with aftermarket.

agree it would make more sense if it was possible to contract it out. maybe thats being done hard to say as it is a tom tom unit.

so all i was trying to say was yes i get it is expensive. yes i do agree that it could make more sense if possible to contact it to someone if not being done. but there is more then just a gps with software wrapped in plastic and stuck in your dash. parts cost money because of the cost to get them to the car and the R&D that went into it. as R&D doesnt generate money until the end product is sold and its expensive to get there, but you get what i mean.

i would love to be able to provide the price of the radio but even on our parts system we dont list the 2013 3 or 2014 6 so the parts software update with those should be coming this or next month.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i understand its a "pun" but i work for one and feel we do everything we can to help people and yes prices are high for some items and less for others. but im sure if you call ford and ask them for a cost on there radio with the ford sync its going to be even more money. i dont like paying for an expensive tv at futureshop. but if i want it. i pay it. dont call them a bunch of crooks for making money on something i want or need to have, just more defensive about the term is all. so if the op wants the radio if it was possible it would work. there is a cost ( pay to play ) otherwise.. should have purchased the car model that came with that OEM unit or go with aftermarket.

agree it would make more sense if it was possible to contract it out. maybe thats being done hard to say as it is a tom tom unit.

so all i was trying to say was yes i get it is expensive. yes i do agree that it could make more sense if possible to contact it to someone if not being done. but there is more then just a gps with software wrapped in plastic and stuck in your dash. parts cost money because of the cost to get them to the car and the R&D that went into it. as R&D doesnt generate money until the end product is sold and its expensive to get there, but you get what i mean.

i would love to be able to provide the price of the radio but even on our parts system we dont list the 2013 3 or 2014 6 so the parts software update with those should be coming this or next month.
    Since you work there and I know that from previous post is why I specifically said I ment no offense, that being said.,
    I don't under stand how mazdas R&D on this is that of 1000% more of other aftermarket manufacturers. And i do understand Mazda is not making head units for their bread and butter but if they don't need to invest in GPS by using Tom Tom why am I charged up words of 2500$$? It's one of a few cash grabs is all I'm saying, there are things at a dealer you can't go wrong with but I am just voicing one opinion on one specific part

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Supply and demand.

These HU's are specifically made for the car, with the probability of very few made outside of that aspect.

Aftermarket HU's are made with the intention of replacing a cars stereo. In any car.

If kenwood or pioneer were to make an aftermarket HU specifically for each vehicle, we would be paying through the nose. That is why there is a universal fit. Only the dash kit makes a difference. Keep in mind a dash kit ( say about 40-60+ bucks ) is only like 5 cents worth of plastic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterm15 View Post
    Supply and demand.

These HU's are specifically made for the car, with the probability of very few made outside of that aspect.

Aftermarket HU's are made with the intention of replacing a cars stereo. In any car.

If kenwood or pioneer were to make an aftermarket HU specifically for each vehicle, we would be paying through the nose. That is why there is a universal fit. Only the dash kit makes a difference. Keep in mind a dash kit ( say about 40-60+ bucks ) is only like 5 cents worth of plastic.
    Your point at the end is actually my point, it's a marketing flaw on all ends, ken wood, jvc, Sony anyone could make a double din compatible for ALL models for no money, you make one really good deck then add however many 2 cent dash kits to it you want.

You proved my point, cash grab!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your point at the end is actually my point, it's a marketing flaw on all ends, ken wood, jvc, Sony anyone could make a double din compatible for ALL models for no money, you make one really good deck then add however many 2 cent dash kits to it you want.

You proved my point, cash grab!!!
    ???
    Universal fit is NOT OEM.

The average customer would look at that as "cheap" and could potentially not purchase the car because of it. I know I would.

It's the same reason people pay 400+ for an aftermarket OEM looking deck ( not universal fit) that seems to be of pretty crappy quality.

And let's be serious here. Everyone has to make money. It's dimes to make beer, yet we pay $1.20 minimum for a bottle. It goes through many hands before reaching us and that costs money.

Best example I can give ( as I work in that industry) is a table top. You buy a glass table from ikea. It's $100. You break that glass it will cost you at Lear double. Why?

The glass is shipped from Germany or china ( glass + shipping ). It then goes to a main supplier on train crates and is shipped to local suppliers ( markup+ shipping) then I order it ( another markup) get it polished and tempered ( labour+ electricity ect ). I then pick it up and diliver it to you ( yet another shipping cost). This takes a $2 piece of glass( to be made in china) and turns it into a $250 piece.
    Last edited by peterm15; 01-18-2013 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???
    Universal fit is NOT OEM.

The average customer would look at that as "cheap" and could potentially not purchase the car because of it. I know I would.

It's the same reason people pay 400+ for an aftermarket OEM looking deck ( not universal fit) that seems to be of pretty crappy quality.
    Most Metra kits look flush actually, you can send that to china so fast have added to your high quality double din you already have(in the instance of a jvc/ken wood who
    Have overseas factories), invest a few thousand in kits to get the measurements and your laughing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying the dealer is to blame, it's just "how it is"

End rant/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most Metra kits look flush actually, you can send that to china so fast have added to your high quality double din you already have(in the instance of a jvc/ken wood who
    Have overseas factories), invest a few thousand in kits to get the measurements and your laughing
    I added to my post above.

A few thousand kits is barely worth doing. By then it would probably cost about the same to make the entire OEM HU.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added to my post above.

A few thousand kits is barely worth doing. By then it would probably cost about the same to make the entire OEM HU.
    Ok end thread//

We had a talk at a meet a while back you work in a glass business (200%) markup in order to protect against damage

I work in telecommunications 30-40 points at best! It's two different worlds arguing about something we don't work in.

Feel free to clean up rants mods...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok end thread//

We had a talk at a meet a while back you work in a glass business (200%) markup in order to protect against damage

I work in telecommunications 30-40 points at best! It's two different worlds arguing about something we don't work in.

Feel free to clean up rants mods...
    Lmao. Ya. It's the way it goes. And you have a damn good memory.

Keep in mind though from production to final sale it's a good 400%

I get what your saying man. I'm just argumentative tonight. I do full heartedly disagree with an oem dash kit though. Lol. You brought up a lot of good points. Well continue this next meet. Lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well continue this next meet. Lol.
    Yes sir, till next time lol!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how much is it...I'm soooo tempted...Im sure we don't have these in Australia

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spoke with JD at Whitby Mazda. The cost is $1,899 installed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast