Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid flush/change?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transmission fluid flush/change?

Hey everyone i have 2010 Mazda 3 automatic. With 44559 kms. 4 months ago when i went for oil change i was told that i need transmission fluid flush and brake fluid flush as it was contaminated. So my question is there a diff between just draining the fluid and replacing it with a new one or is it same as "flush"? I was charged $100 for brake fluid and $200 for trans fluid.
    thx

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission fluid flush/change?

a drain for brakes would empty the res but not bleed the calipers and lines, same with transmission if you drain the 4 or 5 L in the pan it wont fully flush out the 8-9L in the rest of the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$200 charged for transmission service sounds like a power flush of all 9L to me.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    a drain for brakes would empty the res but not bleed the calipers and lines, same with transmission if you drain the 4 or 5 L in the pan it wont fully flush out the 8-9L in the rest of the system.
    what is recommended at my stage?

so am guessing i got flush done since it cost me $100 and $200? are these reasonable price for flush?

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A transmission flush is actually pretty simple. I did a change on a friends care last week.
    It's a 10mm socket to remove the undertray/splash guard.
    8mm hex socket to remove the plug.
    Drain oil from pan, plug back up.
    Put 3 qt back in.
    Find the pump that puts it through the radiator (it's right beside the oil pan) and there will be 2 hoses, on goes to, one comes back from the radiator. Attach a hose to the outgoing one that drains into a bucket.
    Start car, let run until the fluid that comes out of the bucket is red, while constantly refilling tranny.
    When red, turn off car, reattach hose, pat self on back.
    Worth $200?
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    A transmission flush is actually pretty simple. I did a change on a friends care last week.
    Put 3 qt back in.
    Find the pump that puts it through the radiator (it's right beside the oil pan) and there will be 2 hoses, on goes to, one comes back from the radiator. Attach a hose to the outgoing one that drains into a bucket.
    Start car, let run until the fluid that comes out of the bucket is red, while constantly refilling tranny.
    Worth $200?
    thx for replying but do i needed the full flush or just change of fluid?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaboose View Post
    thx for replying but do i needed the full flush or just change of fluid?
    if you have paid $200 i would assume you have done the flush already. if not ask who did it if they flushed it or just drained and filled it. i dont think you need to do anything if you paid $100 for a brake flush and $200 for trans flush.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow guess what so when i went back to get my car i was told that "transmission pan gasket is broken (Found transmission fluid
    seep)" so they ordered the part and it was covered under basic warranty. So i would have to go back for transmission fluid flush so for now i just got brake fluid flush done. Just curious how gasket got broken? Also should i got full power flush done or just change the fluid? not sure what is recommended. thx

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Put 3 qt back in.
    Worth $200?
    Better than a drain but not the same.
    Phone: 647-439-4485

AUDIO | SECURITY | ACCESSORIES | HID & LED LIGHTING | VIDEO & MULTIMEDIA | ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSIS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to know how such a new vehicle (2010 w/ 44559km) gets contaminated brake fluid!

Please tell me/us which dealer/mechanic this was.

Hey everyone i have 2010 Mazda 3 automatic. With 44559 kms. 4 months ago when i went for oil change i was told that i need transmission fluid flush and brake fluid flush as it was contaminated. So my question is there a diff between just draining the fluid and replacing it with a new one or is it same as "flush"? I was charged $100 for brake fluid and $200 for trans fluid.
    thx

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    I would like to know how such a new vehicle (2010 w/ 44559km) gets contaminated brake fluid!

Please tell me/us which dealer/mechanic this was.
    Sherwood Park Mazda here in edmonton. I asked the "Service consultant" guy at the front desk and he bs some story and then also same guy when he told me abt broken gasket he made up a clear lie. So i was waiting by sofas and he came up to me and he was like u came at the right time as today is the last day for ur warranty and he pointed to me at the invoice paper which showed the todays date as in the day i brought the vehicle. So anyways he was like we will replace the broken pan gasket as its included in warranty i was like what? how is it possible when i brought the car i didnt have any trans fluid leaking. Anyways as i dont knw much abt car i could argue with him but i knew he was bsing as he lied to me abt the warranty so i went to front desk and called him out by saying this is not the warranty data u pointed to me and he basically couldnt anythig. I wish i could fix my own cars. Hate being lied to.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw its the "Basic Warranty" which is good for 36 months and not 28 months and 20 days as in my case.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also i could have asked them to show me how my brake fluid is contaminated but am sure they would have made up some story so in the end theres no winning with these guys as in the end we always lose (consumers)

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also i could have asked them to show me how my brake fluid is contaminated but am sure they would have made up some story so in the end there's no winning with these guys as in the end we always lose (consumers)
    Hard to BS if you actually saw it and saw what new fluid looked like. They should have asked you before doing any work on it because if the brake fluid is actually getting contaminated, how is changing it fixing the problem. It's just giving you more time to deal with it. How are the contaminants getting into the system?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdown View Post
    Hard to BS if you actually saw it and saw what new fluid looked like. They should have asked you before doing any work on it because if the brake fluid is actually getting contaminated, how is changing it fixing the problem. It's just giving you more time to deal with it. How are the contaminants getting into the system?
    They did tell me in sep when i want for oil change that my brake fluid is contaminated and it requires immediate attention as discussed here: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...d-contaminated
    i asked exactly that and he said it happens its normal - cuz of the weather etc. I could tell he didnt knw much and he was bsing me. I dont i guess for next time i might just change my dealer or not go to them at all and find some other local shop. I wish i was living in toronto. thx for all ur help so far guys.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was no follow through on that thread as to why the fluid was contaminated if it actually was.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody has answered this questions.
    I have 45000 kms
    Do i need to get my transmission flushed or drained? I was told that its brown in colour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody has answered this questions.
    I have 45000 kms
    Do i need to get my transmission flushed or drained? I was told that its brown in colour.
    you dont have to get it flushed (a drain/fill is pretty good), but its prob better for your transmission to keep it more clean. regular maintenance on your car is a good habit, even if your before the actual set time. take care of your car, and it will take care of you.

as for the rest, it sounds like ur getting jerked around by the dealership staff to try and get more out of you. sounds like, "o, u need a new air filter, its gonna cost you 100+ $'s." --> yeah okay buddy.
    Last edited by Kiyomi; 01-23-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was told the other day by my dealership that i needed to get my tranny flushed. I'm at 83,000km. The lady said at the service desk said the mechanic claimed the fluid was discoloured...starting to look reddish, and it would cost me 225.

I called Jimmy, who unfortunatly doesn't do flushes anymore, and he said "but it's supposed to be red!" LOL...anywho he said he'd do a drain and fill for me.

I am curious though....should i flush?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maz3Dan View Post
    I was told the other day by my dealership that i needed to get my tranny flushed. I'm at 83,000km. The lady said at the service desk said the mechanic claimed the fluid was discoloured...starting to look reddish, and it would cost me 225.

I called Jimmy, who unfortunatly doesn't do flushes anymore, and he said "but it's supposed to be red!" LOL...anywho he said he'd do a drain and fill for me.

first flush, then yes. auto or manual?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MZ3-Kiyomi_17 View Post
    first flush, then yes. auto or manual?
    how come u dont recommend flush for me? its my first? is it cuz am at 45000 kms?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how come u dont recommend flush for me? its my first? is it cuz am at 45000 kms?
    you just said you got a full transmission flush. isnt it too late? but ill indulge. if i had been you, i would have gotten a drain/fill at those kms. personally. my car is manual and my parents and I drive spiritedly and the car gets tracked every so often. drain/filled my transmission twice already with full synth fluids and the cars got 60k on it. both times, oil was very dirty. plus, now that i know where the bolt is and seen it done, ill be doing it myself next time to save some $, its really easy on a manual.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MZ3-Kiyomi_17 View Post
    you just said you got a full transmission flush. isnt it too late? but ill indulge. if i had been you, i would have gotten a drain/fill at those kms. personally. my car is manual and my parents and I drive spiritedly and the car gets tracked every so often. drain/filled my transmission twice already with full synth fluids and the cars got 60k on it. both times, oil was very dirty. plus, now that i know where the bolt is and seen it done, ill be doing it myself next time to save some $, its really easy on a manual.
    no if u read above i mentioned my dealer couldnt do it as "pad gasket" was broken so they ordered the part and i would be going some other day. I just got brake fluid flushed. so at what kms is drain or flush recommended as i cant find it the manual? or do we just go by whenever its dirty? How much is drain/fill at ur place?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maz3Dan View Post

Yes.

And it's supposed to be red. Not supposed to be dark brown /black.
    Click to enlarge!

www.leenguyen.ca

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no if u read above i mentioned my dealer couldnt do it as "pad gasket" was broken so they ordered the part and i would be going some other day. I just got brake fluid flushed. so at what kms is drain or flush recommended as i cant find it the manual? or do we just go by whenever its dirty? How much is drain/fill at ur place?
    off the top of my head, i cant remember the exact numbers so i cant tell you for sure. I provided my own bottles of oil. service by jimmy i think was around 40$. the oil cost me around 100$ for 3 litres of motul 75w-90. just a drain/fill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast