Thread: Brake fluid flush or drain and refill?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brake fluid flush or drain and refill?

I have 2009 Mazda 3. Should I get the brake fluid flushed or drained and refilled?

One dealership (closest) does drain and refill ($89) another flush ($129). I hear drain & refill does not take out fluid in the break lines. It is cheaper at non-dealer shops such as lube shops . Any recommendations in Brampton, Mississauga or Georgetown?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brake fluid flush or drain and refill?

The only way to do a proper brake fluid exchange is to flush it out and refill. I would only have that done by a mechanic and not some lickity lube place.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you considering changing-out your brake fluid? Have you had it tested? Brake fluid DOES NOT need changing, EVER, unless it gets contaminated or accumulates moisture. Otherwise your throwing money away. ...Also, sometimes, if not done right, changing out the fluid introduces contaminates or air, increasing problems. Best to have it simply tested first.

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not sure what the lube shops cost but i would stick to the dealer, as if going to a lube shop not really sure if they would use the correct fluid or do a proper service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Brake fluid DOES NOT need changing, EVER, unless it gets contaminated or accumulates moisture.
    Perhaps not on an '09 Mazda, but I would not want 10 year old brake fluid in my car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are you considering changing-out your brake fluid? Have you had it tested? Brake fluid DOES NOT need changing, EVER, unless it gets contaminated or accumulates moisture. Otherwise your throwing money away. ...Also, sometimes, if not done right, changing out the fluid introduces contaminates or air, increasing problems. Best to have it simply tested first.

_3
    I didn't know brake fluids can be tested. Where can I get it tested? How is the fluid tested? What would be a reasonable fee for testing? My car has done 55k and 4 years and dealers told me to change it. Thanks.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can buy brake fluid litmus test strips (maybe at Crappy Tire) or if you got some money you can buy this,

http://www.otctools.com/products/brake_fluid_tester

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johns 08 3 GT View Post
    You can buy brake fluid litmus test strips (maybe at Crappy Tire) or if you got some money you can buy this,

http://www.otctools.com/products/brake_fluid_tester
    My service manager said they had one of those at GM many moons ago and it was rather.. incorrect from time to time and even a new car and new fluid would fail. the test stirps are a bit better but when in doubt play the safe card and replace it based on condition / time / mileage. for $129 + HST to protect the other components as well is a decent investment for me if it will save a pump or module at $1000 +

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    I didn't know brake fluids can be tested. Where can I get it tested? How is the fluid tested? What would be a reasonable fee for testing? My car has done 55k and 4 years and dealers told me to change it. Thanks.
    You can try to find test strips as mentioned, (I couldn't find any), or you can buy a brake fluid tester for like $20 at Princess Auto, or some places offer a free test like Napa auto centres/stores.

The dealer is just trying to upsell you unnecessary service. My 3 is 7.5 years old, 195k and I just recently tested the fluid and it was perfectly fine.

To John 08 3 GT; My last car was 15 years old and I never touched the brake fluid. So unless someone 'tracks' a vehicle (which can heat-up the brake fluid), or it has gotten contaminated somehow, it basically never needs changing. Remember the brake system is a 'closed system'.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try to find test strips as mentioned, (I couldn't find any), or you can buy a brake fluid tester for like $20 at Princess Auto, or some places offer a free test like Napa auto centres/stores.

The dealer is just trying to upsell you unnecessary service. My 3 is 7.5 years old, 195k and I just recently tested the fluid and it was perfectly fine.

To John 08 3 GT; My last car was 15 years old and I never touched the brake fluid. So unless someone 'tracks' a vehicle (which can heat-up the brake fluid), or it has gotten contaminated somehow, it basically never needs changing. Remember the brake system is a 'closed system'.

_3
    I have another vehicle, 9 years / 222K and its brake fluid is dark brown / black. I guess it is an indication that fluid has become contaminated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good rule of thumb is to change/flush/fill/bleed brake fluid whenever you do major brake work, ie changing rotors and pads. This typically happens every 3 to 4 years for most drivers. If you are still on your first set of brakes I would wait and do the fluid flush when the brakes are due. If the fluid color is dark, then get it changed. I totally disagree that brake fluid never needs to be changed.

If you are in/near Toronto, go see Jimmy at Street Performance for the work. It will be much cheaper than the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    A good rule of thumb is to change/flush/fill/bleed brake fluid whenever you do major brake work, ie changing rotors and pads. This typically happens every 3 to 4 years for most drivers. If you are still on your first set of brakes I would wait and do the fluid flush when the brakes are due. If the fluid color is dark, then get it changed. I totally disagree that brake fluid never needs to be changed.If you are in/near Toronto, go see Jimmy at Street Performance for the work. It will be much cheaper than the dealer.
    You can disagree all you like, but it's true. You must read the complete sentence which ends with; "unless it has been contaminated". The brake system is a CLOSED SYSTEM and under normal driving conditions, the fluid has no way of deteriorating. If there is a break in the lines or system, or someone has left the reservoir cover off for an extended period, or the vehicle has been immersed in water then it is likely to get contaminated, otherwise it's very unlikely. 'The chances are much higher that by changing out the fluid unnecessarily, contamination can then be introduced to the system', contamination such as air,dirt or moisture...That is the motto most seasoned mechanics follow along with 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

To SIP; If the fluid is very dark or black or it has bubbles, it's a good sign that it has been compromised.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 02-01-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Ride
    2015 Genesis AWD V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,632 Times in 1,175 Posts
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of believing what the dealerships tell you, go to a trusted mechanic to determine what is really needed at this time. As someone mentioned, dealerships will always try to push some type of work that is "recommended".

Here is a link that I shared with a member from my Gen group because he had the same question your have a couple of weeks ago.

http://protechautorepair.com/wp/385/

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, my mechanic said the same and mentioned that for dealers brake service and replacing the fluid is very good way to make more money. The newer cars have long-lasting fluids including breake fluid too.

It seems that the best way to test it once iis to use a Brake Fluid Tester like this one:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1361558280544