Thread: Will new 2014 Mazda3 have big effect on resale of 2010 Mazda3?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will new 2014 Mazda3 have big effect on resale of 2010 Mazda3?

According to Motor Trend we might see a new Mazda3 before the end of the year. It appears that it will be the end of anything other than "SkyActive" which is a step in the right direction.

My 2010 Mazda3, although reliable and fun to drive, is absolutely TERRIBLE on gas. By terrible, I mean the same real-world fuel economy as many mid-size SUVs and 6-cyl cars... I've averaged a pathetic 12.9 L/100km (according to my own tests, says 13.2 on the built-in computer) which is awful for a car that only has 160-something HP and lb-ft of torque.

It's also too small for me now - I'm a proud new father, and my child's infant seat forces me to push the front passenger seat so far forward that my wife, at 5' 2", can just barely squeeze her knees in front of the glove box. Add in the dog and the stroller and the car is full before we even go shopping!

Anyway... I was going to wait another year to trade in my 3, until I read the article above.

I know a lot of people who read this forum work in the auto sales business, and I was wondering - would I expect a dramatic drop in value when my Mazda goes from "current gen" to "previous gen"?

I have my eyes set on something a lot bigger, a lot more powerful/faster, at least as fun to drive with BETTER fuel economy and a sticker price of about $45k... anyone care to take a guess?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Will new 2014 Mazda3 have big effect on resale of 2010 Mazda3?

Sorry I should have mentioned - my car is a 2010 GT w/ Leather but not "GT-E"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jord81 View Post
    would I expect a dramatic drop in value when my Mazda goes from "current gen" to "previous gen"?
    generally speaking yes, you'd definately start to see the value slide as car makers usually like to push sales and special offers to start moving the newest gen out of the showroom creating less demand for used older gens.

you'd start to see a lot of "well for the price of this, I could spend a bit more and get a brand new one"

however, if you are on the buying side and are looking for a previous gen, probably one of the best times to buy would be when they change gens.
    2007 Mazda 3 GS sedan - Arctic White / Tan cloth - SOLD
    2018 Tesla Model S 75D - Multi Coat Red

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your family has grown already, you're already in the position where you need to move into something bigger. Might as well sell/trade now as necessity is the key reason for selling anyways no?

Cars depreciate no matter what so the earlier you sell, the higher the value.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    If your family has grown already, you're already in the position where you need to move into something bigger. Might as well sell/trade now as necessity is the key reason for selling anyways no?

Cars depreciate no matter what so the earlier you sell, the higher the value.
    You're right that necessity is the motivation but it's more of a "want" than a "need." It's easier to justify the purchase (to myself, and then more importantly, to my wife) if I see that the car is about to take a hit in value.

The earlier you sell, the higher price you pay per km. Depreciation is fastest in the car's early life. My car is a 2010 with 35,000kms on it, so I'd be paying dearly if I sold now.

In the end, it's quite a dilemma!

Ride
    Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it doesnt have an effect on the value just because of the different generation. it will be worth less when the new model comes out as compared to if you sold it now just because of age and km. So to say its worth less strictly because theres is a new generation out isnt totally true. Used vehicles will always have value and will be worth more when they are newer since it is easier to obtain financing for a newer car as compared to an older vehicle (if you require financing).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pereira11 View Post
    it doesnt have an effect on the value just because of the different generation. it will be worth less when the new model comes out as compared to if you sold it now just because of age and km. So to say its worth less strictly because theres is a new generation out isnt totally true. Used vehicles will always have value and will be worth more when they are newer since it is easier to obtain financing for a newer car as compared to an older vehicle (if you require financing).
    This^^^

Its a mazda 3...its not increasing its value thats for sure.

Sooner you act the more $ you get.

Buy a truck enjoy the awd and space for the family!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It'll definitely take a hit! Get your Infiniti JX when you can before the next gen is on dealer lots