Thread: Highway Traffic Act - Tuner Edition

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Highway Traffic Act - Tuner Edition

So in my time here on the forum, i keep seeing people ask "Is this Illegal?", "Will this pass Emissions?", "Will i get pulled over if (insert topic here)?" and its astounding how much people lack simple knowledge of the Ontario HTA. Once in awhile people post references to HTA laws, but theyre scattered all over the forums and people dont search for them themselves on the internet. So ive taken a few hours out of my boring work day to compile a list of -Some- of the HTA/Emission laws that i find are the most asked about, or seem the most concerning. Mods feel free to move/edit/sticky as necessary, or even delete.

The information is listed in order in the following categories;
    1-LIGHTS
    2-WINDOWS
    3-EXHAUST/NOISE
    4-EMISSIONS

And it begins...

HTA Ontario – "Tuner edition"
    Ref http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm

LIGHTS (HID’S, COLOR, OUTPUT, ECT..)

Light requirement (sect 62 para 4)
    (4) Any lamp required under subsection (1), (2) or (3) shall, when lighted, be clearly visible at a distance of at least 150 metres from the front or rear, as the case may be.
    - Tinted tail lights? Make sure they’re visible from at least 150m.

Attachment that affects lamps prohibited (sect 62 para 7)
    (7) No person shall drive upon a highway a motor vehicle if either or both of the lamps that are required on the front of the vehicle by subsections (1), (2) and (3),
    (a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
    (b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
    - Coated headlights of fog lights? Be careful, you can be ticketed according to the HTA!

Strength of front lamps (sect 62 para 9)
    (9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela.
    -If you have HID’s and their light output is greater than 300 candela they are illegal and you can be ticketed, although cops seem to be extremely lenient and leave nearly all of us with HID’s alone.

Intermittent red light restricted (sect 62 para 14, 14.1 & 16)
    (14) Subject to subsections (14.1) and (15), no person shall use a lamp, other than the vehicular hazard warning signal lamps commonly known as four way flashers, that produces intermittent flashes of red light.
    Red and blue lights to the front restricted

(14.1) In addition to the lighting requirements in this Part, a police department vehicle may carry lamps that cast red and blue lights, but no other motor vehicle shall carry any lamp that casts red and blue lights to the front.
    Green flashing light restricted

(16) The following persons may carry on or in his or her vehicle and operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of green light:
    1. A firefighter,
    2. A prescribed class of volunteer medical responder,
    -The points above speak for them selves.

WINDOWS (STICKERS, TINTS & VISIBILITY)

Equipment obstructing view -Signs, objects, etc. (Sect 73 para 1, 2 & 3)
    73. (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway,
    (a) with any sign, poster or other non-transparent material or object placed on the windshield or on any window of such motor vehicle; or
    (b) with any object placed in, hung on or attached to the motor vehicle,
    in a manner that will obstruct the driver’s view of the highway or any intersecting highway
    -It is illegal to have any stickers on your front windshield where it is not transparent and you can not see through it. Also, it is technically illegal to have any view obstructing objects hanging from your rear view mirror. Normally the latter is normally given when an officer feels like racking up additional tickets for you, as this is never the sole reason for being pulled over.Colour coating obstructing view prohibited

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view of the highway or any intersecting highway

Colour coating obscuring interior
    (3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle
    -Para 2 & 3 above dictate the restrictions on window tinting, and stickers on the front side windows of the car. This is where the officer’s discretion comes on establishing wether or not the tinting is too dark to be deemed safe for visibility.

EXHAUST, EXCESSIVE NOISE

Noise, smoke, bells and horns
    Muffler (Sect 75)
    75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle.
    Unnecessary noise (Sect 75 para 4)

(4) A person having the control or charge of a motor vehicle shall not sound any bell, horn or other signalling device so as to make an unreasonable noise, and a driver of any motor vehicle shall not permit any unreasonable amount of smoke to escape from the motor vehicle, nor shall the driver at any time cause the motor vehicle to make any unnecessary noise, but this subsection does not apply to a motor vehicle of a municipal fire department while proceeding to a fire or answering a fire alarm call.
    -Want to modify your exhaust to be louder and faster? Be warned: at officer’s discretion, you can be ticketed for an exhaust that is deemed too loud, or louder than factory (muffler delete, resonator delete, headers, Down pipes, cat delete, and straight through exhausts are all a concern here). Also even revving your Stock engine at a red light like an idiot can get you a ticket.
    -Like to use Seafoam? The “smoke” generated from the first few minutes of driving it can also get you a ticket.

EMISSION LAWS 2013
    http://www.elaws.gov.on.ca/html/regs...0361_e.htm#BK0

TEST REPORTS
    1.2 No person shall create, distribute or use a document that is a false report
    -Speaks for its self

CATALYTIC CONVERTERS

1.5(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter.
    (4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,
    (a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or
    (b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.
    - Essentially if you remove, gut, or bypass any OEM Catalytic converters it is illegal. If your car came from factory with 2 Cats, it better have 2 cats on it to meet current emission laws.7. (1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, including an on-board diagnostic system designed to identify motor or emissions control system problems and regulate motor or emission control system operations
    -Pretty much states that aftermarket tunes are illegal, because you are modifying the parameters that control emissions

There you have it. Only a fraction of what is actually in the HTA, but the links are also provided.

Last edited by loki; 09-30-2016 at 01:36 PM.
    U Mad Bro?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kilo4321 For This Useful Post:

YepYep (07-12-2023)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Highway Traffic - Tuner Edition

I vote sticky for putting everything in one place.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

helpful thanks kilo!

also

Quote Originally Posted by kilo4321 View Post
    (3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle
    -Para 2 & 3 above dictate the restrictions on window tinting, and stickers on the front side windows of the car. This is where the officer’s discretion comes on on establishing wether or not the tinting too dark to be deemed safe for visibility.
    just roll down your window before cop gets there, and turn on cab lights...They are much nicer and easier on you if they feel you are making an attempt to make them feel safer. If they feel you are trying to hide from them they get touchy.

*edit* also vote sticky
    Last edited by geobur; 05-16-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Sticky

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geobur For This Useful Post:

SpeedyBread (11-11-2015),YepYep (07-12-2023)

bitch flakes....yummy greyseason's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

vote sticky. good work
    Skyactiv Powa

Corksport | Nextmod | Garage16 | Work | Razo | Tein | Audio Heaven | Broadway | Eurolight | Sony | Kicker | Alpine |

"everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greyseason View Post
    vote sticky. good work
    Thanks guys. I figured the information contained would be small enough to motivate anyone to read the parts of it that pertain to the most common mods that are done, rather than skim through the entire HTA like i did lol.

*** Also .. Mods, can you please edit the title to "Highway Traffic Act - Tuner Edition" had a mis-type. thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thread!

Coated headlights of fog lights? Be careful, you can be ticketed according to the HTA!

Typo: s/b "or fog lights", I believe. But I think the coatings (e.g. Laminx) on fogs should be okay, as they wouldn't be included as part of the required lamps. But I could see eyelids being a ticket opportunity.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread stuck, though may move sections pending review/
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the good post. Iv noticed too many threads asking simple questions pertaining to this information... I still think all motorcycles should be recalled and have a sound dampening muffler installed... I hate motorcycles...
    2010 GS sport: HIDs, SRI, MS3 Axle back, Tinted windows, Yellow fogs, Red tails, RA Mudflaps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisinski View Post
    Thanks for the good post. Iv noticed too many threads asking simple questions pertaining to this information... I still think all motorcycles should be recalled and have a sound dampening muffler installed... I hate motorcycles...
    Amen to that. Nothing worse than a Harley going by and just feeling your teeth chatter.

Noob
    Ride
    Toyota Starlet Glanza
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ya they really need to look into that muffler noise that comes from motorcycles...as soon as a car sounds loud u get a ticket for having a loud muffler pure BS!

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geobur View Post
    just roll down your window before cop gets there, and turn on cab lights...They are much nicer and easier on you if they feel you are making an attempt to make them feel safer. If they feel you are trying to hide from them they get touchy.
    Good point in all cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Typo: s/b "or fog lights", I believe. But I think the coatings (e.g. Laminx) on fogs should be okay, as they wouldn't be included as part of the required lamps. But I could see eyelids being a ticket opportunity.
    [/I]
    I would agree. My interpretation is that fog lights are not considered the primary forward facing lamps. Otherwise turning off your fog lights should not be possible (like day time running lights)

I believe the lack of blue or red lights on the front could be interpreted as not allowing red or blue tints on the front lamps as well.
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

15. The Following User Says Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

SpeedyBread (11-11-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@rockbottom good post for coated headlights or foglights Thanks for the information @kilo4321

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 416GXM3 For This Useful Post:

rockbottom (09-29-2016)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we all see them, the coated tail lights that basically black them out. Lets say you hit one of these cars from behind and it may even be your fault (Although you have a delayed reaction) should you get the police involved? Would be pretty easy to get out of...but of course I don't have first hand experience.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...if i read this all correctly...

No banners on front windshield , if so must be translucent.

Keep away from flashing green and blue and red.
    Same goes for darker tail lights (visible at 150 meters and keep front headlights properly aligned (dont blind peeps) and aimed lower.

Keeps the Cats on (OEM or better) .
    Position the O2 sensors before and after the Cat even with upgraded exhaust/headers (I was told in theory this will not set off a CEL if fuel mixture / burn is within OEM ECU parameters.
    I will upgrade Cats this 2019 summer and get back to you on this ....and Obviously a Tune will change OEM parameters but unless they actually impound and spend some time downloading logs
    and examining and comparing to oem .... bottom line its too costly and too much resources to check all that... so make sure your CEL is off or your tune turns off 2nd/ down flow O2 sensor).

Keep the the beautiful exhaust noise and revs down when the cops are around...But seriously any high-end sportscar oem exhaust is just as loud if not louder ... ( i actually got into a high rev
    shouting match with a Audi RS7 (560hp twin turboed heavy tank) ....his was louder ... but mine sounded prettier). Oh ya.. my biggest addiction....revving it up or downshifting in tunnels
    (there are few really good sounding tunnels to rev it up in .. my fav so far 401 & Kennedy and 401 at Bayview) ..

Btw ... no set decibel levels for vehicle exhaust note.
    Unnecessary noise bylaw is basically a carte blanche...at the officers discretion at what is unnecessary noise per location.

Dont get pulled over... watch your speed (no more that 25 -30 over speed limit on the highway ...less on residential street)
    Dont give them a reason to dig deeper into you cars mods and examine.

Cheers
    Happy New Year

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Highway Traffic Act - Tuner Edition

So we're coming up on April 1, 2019, and we'll find out how much of a joke the Emissions Testing was in Ontario I suppose.

My sticker expired on Jan 7 of this year. E-Testing will end on April 1 of this year, and I'm due for a sticker, and an E-Test.

I've heard from different sources that I'll still need to pass the testing. I've also heard that if I wait until April 1 I won't have an issue.

So we're just a few days away to finding out what will actually happen. Should be interesting! I've had the car in the garage all winter, and doing an e-test is going to be a hassle. Hoping that April 1 will not make me a fool.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

S.F.W. (03-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Following for curiosity.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

shift8 (04-03-2019)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

subbed. Mr. Lube told my friend the same thing, wait a few days until after April 1st.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confirmed that you will not be asked about Drive Clean after April 1, 2019 even if you were previously due.

Walked in, asked for my sticker, obtained without question. I was due in January (car has been in storage for winter).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (04-03-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    Confirmed that you will not be asked about Drive Clean after April 1, 2019 even if you were previously due.

Walked in, asked for my sticker, obtained without question. I was due in January (car has been in storage for winter).
    Good to know....
    Mine was also due for emission test this year...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is good to know that. It helps.