Thread: Things stopped working after changing stereo

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Things stopped working after changing stereo

I had changed the stereo on my 2007 Mazda 3 a couple of times before, but this time I have a really annoying problem.

When I turned the car on after installing a new after-market GPS/stereo system, the unit wouldn't turn on, and the LCD display above it wouldn't either. I checked the connections and everything was OK. I looked up where the "radio" fuse is under the glove box (44) and it was fine. I also noticed that the inside/overhead lights weren't turning on either, so I checked the "illumination" fuse (82) and it was fine as well. I'm guessing that's the right fuse, since I didn't find anything else in the list of fuses that sounded like it was for the indoor lights. Later I realized that the remote keyless entry wasn't working either. I'm not sure how these three things are connected but they all stopped working after I changed the stereo.

I had swapped the stock stereo for an after-market one and vice versa a couple of times, and the only thing I did differently this time was removing the lower storage bin right in front of the shifter, so I could run an iPod cable down through that and store it in there. I think I might have had a wrong connection at the back of the stereo at first, but I changed it to the right one and verified everything was OK before trying again, and still nada. I put the old stereo back in and that didn't help either.

Short of pulling all the fuses and checking one by one, I'm not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things stopped working after changing stereo

did you check the fuses with a test light or did you "eye ball" them? make sure you use a test light, the slightest crack in a fuse will not let enough amps through to power your cd player, also there is a constant 12v radio fuse and an accessory 12v radio fuse, make sure you check both. try disconnecting your dimmer/illumination wires also.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend and I just looked at them and they seemed fine, but I guess I could have a machine verify for me as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X2 for testing the fuse, seen many fuses that looked intact not work

Don't bother getting out a tester just swap the fuse for a second with another one

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I'll give that a shot too. Does it make sense that the radio fuse would lead to those other things (lights, keyless) not working too, or does it sound like I burned multiple fuses in one go somehow?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, the "room" fuse (under the hood, not under the glove box) was burned, and when I replaced that, the remote entry, lights, and radio started working!
    Odd that they're all connected to that one fuse (and the "radio" fuse or a fuse with "lock" didn't have anything to do with it), but I'm glad it's working now. Thanks for the suggestions.