Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TM3 Home Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by 2010maztre View Post
    wow, that looks great @Default User wish i could do some reno's i bought my house new
    Thanks
    I swear this is the last fix-er-upper. My next house is definitely going to be a new build.

Weekend warrior update...

"Buy a chandelier" they said...
    ..."it will look beautiful" they said

Open the box to see this:

Gotta hang every glass piece ONE BY ONE FAAAACCKKKKKK

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced two basement windows today. The old ones had wood frames and were rotting. Got the cheapo Jeldwen windows from home depot for $120 a piece and had both installed in less than 1.5 hours.(Including removing the old ones)

It's nice to actually have fresh air flowing around down there

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was the worst day to paint... It was so hot and humid

​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Is that 34J? .
    I was about to paint my garage door today but decided against it because of the heat and weather.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    ^^ Is that 34J? .
    I was about to paint my garage door today but decided against it because of the heat and weather.

Hahaha

What can I say... I love blue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Hahaha

What can I say... I love blue
    Typical Greek LOL

My buddy's parents painted their garage door like the Greek flag...their basement was custom painted from a life size photo of the view from their home back in Pylaros (I think that's how you spell it) and the floors, wall and ceiling in their four season room was (you guessed it) white and blue.

Edit - I guess you closed on your new home. Congrats again

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Typical Greek LOL

My buddy's parents painted their garage door like the Greek flag...their basement was custom painted from a life size photo of the view from their home back in Pylaros (I think that's how you spell it) and the floors, wall and ceiling in their four season room was (you guessed it) white and blue.

Edit - I guess you closed on your new home. Congrats again

Lol... I only painted my room blue

yes I got the keys last week.

right now I am finishing the upstairs ... I'm almost done then I will move in.

After that I got to fix a few things in the basement... I got to the end of October to do it (buddy is renting basement November 1).

only thing I can't decide if I should keep the laminate floor in basement or carpet the basement (laminate is the cheapest you could buy and it was porly done)
    Last edited by aris; 08-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice paint job!

I hate painting along the ceiling, any tips?
    2007 Mazda 3 GS sedan - Arctic White / Tan cloth - SOLD
    2018 Tesla Model S 75D - Multi Coat Red

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajin929 View Post
    nice paint job!

I hate painting along the ceiling, any tips?

Cutting in?
    Maintain the angle of the brush throughout the entire brush stroke. The point is to keep the shape/footprint the bristles are making on the wall the SAME throughout the entire stroke.
    Use full length strokes. Don't dab paint here and there 3 or 4 inches at a time. One brush, dipped in paint, can do 2 or 3 feet before you need to dip again. Maintain the angle for the entire 2 or 3 feet.
    If you see misses or parts where you aren't completely straight, fix them after. Continue the stroke!!
    If you notice the brush is leaving blank spots, but the line in the corner is still solid and looking good, continue cutting in. The section away from the very corner is easily fixed after.
    Use normal lighting, so either from the window or ceiling.
    After you dip the brush in paint, don't start right in the corner, it's easier to start out an inch or two and then go into the corner after you get the first globs of paint off the brush.

Cut a wide enough strip to allow for the roller afterwards. If you don't come down on the wall enough, you risk running the roller into the ceiling (done that so many times :p). 4 inches is good.

If you really suck at keeping a straight line, you can use tape. Do NOT press the tape super firmly into place, just make sure the edge is sealed. Peel the tape off immediately after you finish one section (one side of the room). If you leave the tape on while the paint dries, you're asking for trouble.

Clean up any drips/runs immediately. It's NOT easy to sand them down after it dries.

If you notice that you can see through the fresh paint to the colour underneath, that's fine. Why do you think we apply paint in multiple coats?
    The darker the colour, the more coats you can expect to need. Especially with reds, yellows, purples, and blues. If it says "deep base" or "ultra deep base" on the side of the paint can, you can expect at least 2-3 coats depending on the existing colour. I had a purple wall, on brand new drywall, take 8 coats at one job.(including white primer).
    Piling more paint on to try and make it look solid is a very bad idea.

If you're not following with the roller before the cutting in dries, blend the edge of the cutting in by using a mostly dry brush. If you leave a solid line, let it dry, and then roll over it afterwards, the line will show through.

Source: I'm a painter.
    Last edited by m_bisson; 08-28-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome tips, thanks man!

i think the issue I run into is I don't load the brush/roller with enough paint and it shows brush stroke or bubbly texture after the roller.
    i need more practice to hone the technique

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to start digging for the patio this weekend (hopefully no rain)...

So I was planning to go 12" down. Fill with 8" of HPA and 2" crushed rock/sand plus the concrete slabs.

Any tips?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lift with your legs, not your back Thank you, thank you, I'm here all night.

Anyone know any good roofers? Looking to re-do the roof on the garage. Would like to DIY it, but being home only 48 hours every week makes it kind of hard. Also having the opinion of someone in the know to if the roof can even support someone with the wider spaced rafters......a few of which are a little rotten.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    Cutting in?
    Maintain the angle of the brush throughout the entire brush stroke. The point is to keep the shape/footprint the bristles are making on the wall the SAME throughout the entire stroke.
    Use full length strokes. Don't dab paint here and there 3 or 4 inches at a time. One brush, dipped in paint, can do 2 or 3 feet before you need to dip again. Maintain the angle for the entire 2 or 3 feet.
    If you see misses or parts where you aren't completely straight, fix them after. Continue the stroke!!
    If you notice the brush is leaving blank spots, but the line in the corner is still solid and looking good, continue cutting in. The section away from the very corner is easily fixed after.
    Use normal lighting, so either from the window or ceiling.
    After you dip the brush in paint, don't start right in the corner, it's easier to start out an inch or two and then go into the corner after you get the first globs of paint off the brush.

Cut a wide enough strip to allow for the roller afterwards. If you don't come down on the wall enough, you risk running the roller into the ceiling (done that so many times :p). 4 inches is good.

If you really suck at keeping a straight line, you can use tape. Do NOT press the tape super firmly into place, just make sure the edge is sealed. Peel the tape off immediately after you finish one section (one side of the room). If you leave the tape on while the paint dries, you're asking for trouble.

Clean up any drips/runs immediately. It's NOT easy to sand them down after it dries.

If you notice that you can see through the fresh paint to the colour underneath, that's fine. Why do you think we apply paint in multiple coats?
    The darker the colour, the more coats you can expect to need. Especially with reds, yellows, purples, and blues. If it says "deep base" or "ultra deep base" on the side of the paint can, you can expect at least 2-3 coats depending on the existing colour. I had a purple wall, on brand new drywall, take 8 coats at one job.(including white primer).
    Piling more paint on to try and make it look solid is a very bad idea.

If you're not following with the roller before the cutting in dries, blend the edge of the cutting in by using a mostly dry brush. If you leave a solid line, let it dry, and then roll over it afterwards, the line will show through.

Source: I'm a painter.

Nice right up

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: TM3 Home Owners Association

Put this up on RFD, thought I'd consult you gurus as well:

First and foremost, I apologize for the crude MS paint drawings. I wanted to check to see if what I have planned is sound, so please bear with me. I've already reached out to the "call before you dig" people but wanted to make sure I had my bases covered before I start. The project serves two purposes: to re-grade a poorly filled builder job and make a patio area. The ground is mostly hard clay in Milton (thus the sump pumps) so I can see this being pretty intense labour. If someone has a reasonable recommended supplier for stones/slabs and dumpster bin rental in Halton/Mississauga, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice

So my questions thus far are:

* I think I saw someone down the street use a gas-powered tiller to loosen up a few inches of his front yard. Would this work with clay or do I have to pick-axe it?

* Is there a faster way to dig other than to rent a bobcat?

* Is there a suggested angle/rate that the finished patio stones should slope away from the house?

* If I am raising the point at which the HPA/crushed stone reaches on my foundation, will I need to put a membrane on it to prevent moisture from soaking into the concrete?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kitchen is all done... Fridge and stove come in on Tuesday... Upstairs is all done

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    Going to start digging for the patio this weekend (hopefully no rain)...

So I was planning to go 12" down. Fill with 8" of HPA and 2" crushed rock/sand plus the concrete slabs.

Any tips?
    How about laying landscape fabric under the stones to prevent weeds from poking out?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    How about laying landscape fabric under the stones to prevent weeds from poking out?
    It's in my eloquent MS paint drawing Putting down some Geocloth is in the plan!

Edit: I wonder if I can get away with using tarp...
    Last edited by SilentJay; 08-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the fabric!!!
    I just did a patio and that fabric is awesome stuff. I had weeds with stems 1cm thick and I did a test: Cut the weeds down, but leave the roots. 2 layers of fabric + a couple inches of gravel. The weeds cannot poke through to the surface. Well, it's been 3 weeks so far.

I also skipped the sand and used pea gravel. It's still easy enough to level the patio stones, but I have zero ant problems... My backyard is especially bad for ants. If you don't have ants I guess you can use sand without any problems.
    Last edited by m_bisson; 08-28-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the fabric!!!
    I just did a patio and that fabric is awesome stuff. I had weeds with stems 1cm thick and I did a test: Cut the weeds down, but leave the roots. 2 layers of fabric + a couple inches of gravel. The weeds cannot poke through to the surface. Well, it's been 3 weeks so far. I also skipped the sand and used pea gravel. It's still easy enough to level the patio stones, but I have zero ant problems... My backyard is especially bad for ants. If you don't have ants I guess you can use sand without any problems.
    Good tip. What is the product name of the fabric you used?

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most expensive one per sq/ft at home depot... contractor grade something something.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most expensive
    You've already lost me... lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That said, if it's not pouring outside (like the forecast says), we'll be starting this on Saturday morning. TM3 members more than welcome to come by and help, cold beer and food will be available

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too owneth a house!
    ProDJtege //
    gone: Black 2002 Protege LX 2.0L [LEDs, modified intake, P5 side-skirts & OEM front lip]
    gone: Black 2008.5 GT 2.3L, mostly stock + LEDs + K&N filter + black painted calipers & hubs + Hawk HPS brake pads + synthetic 5w20 oil + STB + Flex 5-wire ground kit + Flex Big3 kit + 23% NR-charcoal tint
    Current: 2017 Dark Grey Subaru Forester 2.5i Ltd w/ tech + 23% NR Charcoal tint

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    That said, if it's not pouring outside (like the forecast says), we'll be starting this on Saturday morning. TM3 members more than welcome to come by and help, cold beer and food will be available
    How did it go?

The gas powered tiller should've worked on clay - but you would've had to water it down as much as possible AND mcGuyver up a harness so that you can actually hold it back as not to let it skip over te surface.

And yes - double up on the weed fabric - do not use a tarp - as the water cannot penetrate.

BTW - Aleve works great on aching muscles and back pains.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    How did it go?
    The gas powered tiller should've worked on clay - but you would've had to water it down as much as possible AND mcGuyver up a harness so that you can actually hold it back as not to let it skip over te surface.
    And yes - double up on the weed fabric - do not use a tarp - as the water cannot penetrate.
    BTW - Aleve works great on aching muscles and back pains.

I guess I'll tell you how it went next week, as we haven't done it yet

Apparently you can get rear-tine tillers that are made to break up hard clay without the skipping problem. I just need to find out if home depot rents those out.

Page 2 of 99 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast