Thread: TM3 Home Owners Association

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TM3 Home Owners Association

Seeing a lot of threads and posts about members buying / getting their own place.

As tuners at heart - I'm sure there are others that can't keep their home the way they purchased it. Personally - I just HAD to make it "my own", and I'm sure there are others out there too. So i thought it would be cool to collect all the thoughts and ideas into one post.

So we got the keys and 15 minutes after opening the door - we started demo. Tearing up tile and concrete, pulling off laminate and hardwood, linoleum and carpet. We also dropped a few walls and did a main floor laundry conversion.

The main floor and upper level is completely redone to our liking. Right down to new electrical outlets and light switches. The basement (soon to be Man Cave) was finished - but out-dated. I will tackle this (and the garage) once I move in LOL.

We decided to stray from the typical warm and cozy soft khaki and cream colors - and went with grey neutrals and dark floors.

Renovations have hit the one month mark now. And I'm still living at the in-laws until everything is complete. Been going to the site everyday after work - working like a psycho - 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week. We did hire contractors for the specialty jobs, but for the most part it's been myself and a few buddies.

Here's a few "Before and After pics"

We pulled off the carpeting, changed the spindles and posts and installed oak stairs and risers.

Main floor powder room got overhauled - new vanity, sink, hardware, toilet and mirror. And yes - that's wall paper.

Got rid of this useless study room and re-converted it to a main floor laundry room.

More pics to come once finishing touches are complete. Changing the floor and wall colors means changing registers and window treatments.

Looking forward to comments, suggestions, questions and ideas. Hope to see pics of your homes and renovation remodels

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TM3 Home Owners Association

I hear that, when we got our house we ripped all the carpet out (what carpet there was, not very much, one room, the hallway upstairs and the stairs), replaced it, painted everythiong, did most the of baseboards and all the nasty curtains and shit went. It was gross.

Personally I like what you've done but I would never have wood stairs. I have them for my basement and like it but not the upstairs ones, kids are forever tripping themselves on them and feel a little carpet can do wonders to break a fall and prevent a chin gash. yeesh! Seen it and its unplesant lol

I want to do more stuff but waiting on the fundage, I'm happy with most things now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive reno'd two condos now in the past 7 years. As much as I love doing renos and enjoying the money made, I need to divert my funds to more fun things for a while.

Place looks great in the pictures. Well done!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by FoXy View Post
    I hear that, when we got our house we ripped all the carpet out (what carpet there was, not very much, one room, the hallway upstairs and the stairs), replaced it, painted everythiong, did most the of baseboards and all the nasty curtains and shit went. It was gross.

Personally I like what you've done but I would never have wood stairs. I have them for my basement and like it but not the upstairs ones, kids are forever tripping themselves on them and feel a little carpet can do wonders to break a fall and prevent a chin gash. yeesh! Seen it and its unplesant lol

I want to do more stuff but waiting on the fundage, I'm happy with most things now.
    Completely agree. The thought of the almost-20 year old sweaty feet stains grosses me out. So we pulled the carpets.
    Problem is - I hate vaccuuming the stairs. And once I pulled the carpet off - it was a no brainer.
    The kids will just have to slide down the banister so they dont trip on the steps LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jsquared View Post
    Ive reno'd two condos now in the past 7 years. As much as I love doing renos and enjoying the money made, I need to divert my funds to more fun things for a while.

Place looks great in the pictures. Well done!!
    Funny you mentioned the money made...the equity I gained off of my first home was what prompted me to sell and and start this new adventure.
    6-figure equity gain in just under 5 years :wow

Reason I stopped tuning my car and decided to tune the house;
    House Tuning : Pay $6,000 and reno your kitchen yourself - and make $20K in equity.
    Car Tuning : Pay $5,000 for rims - and sell it on kijiji for $2000 after 1 season

I do miss playing with my cars though
    But youre right - enjoy life, man. After these renos - I'm not touching a thing. Money goes to family-fun stuff (like In-Car DVD players and shit LOL)

I'm trying to resist contacting my real estate agent to do an evaluation on the new house (before I clutter it all up) - as I dont think my body can take much more of this, let alone all over again. But if I hear another 6-figure gain.... (which apparently, is slightly possible because I got the house way under market value in pretty bad shape)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoXy View Post

I agree with you on on the steps, when we moved in our boards were in pretty rough shape and we carpeted the steps.

I kind of like, but that's probably because our house does not have any carpet other than the basement (rest is laminate and tiles). I wish the bedrooms have carpets, but the previous owners had a dog and two kids so I can see why they put laminate in
    2010 Mazda 3 GS (daily driver)
    2008 Mercedes-Benz C230 4MATIC Sport + Premium Package (wife's car)
    1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX (parted and wrecked)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Seeing a lot of threads and posts about members buying / getting their own place.

As tuners at heart - I'm sure there are others that can't keep their home the way they purchased it. Personally - I just HAD to make it "my own", and I'm sure there are others out there too. So i thought it would be cool to collect all the thoughts and ideas into one post.
    i have nothing to add, but i must say the things you've done look great. everything's been done to taste, and nothing too "in your face" has been done.
    Last edited by Mr Wilson; 08-04-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in the house rental business I can appreciate what you've done to your house. Lots things you can do to increase the value of it or in our case the rent you can charge as well. Its expensive, hard work and stressful but should make some good return on it should you move!
    Organizer for 519 Meets - Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW!! I need to get my bathroom condo redone....anyone interested and need a job? =p
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some solid updates. I need to put down some patio stones in the back and put up a backsplash. Any pro's work for beer?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ogata View Post
    WOW!! I need to get my bathroom condo redone....anyone interested and need a job? =p
    condo's are a PITA. I helped my buddy do a condo last year. Property management had all these regulations about the service elavator and using power tools / table saws, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentJay View Post
    Those are some solid updates. I need to put down some patio stones in the back and put up a backsplash. Any pro's work for beer?
    Thanks - backsplash is pretty easy. My first backsplash job - i used youTube as a reference LOL

But patio stones are even easier - a good tip though is to prep the area properly - about 2-3 weeks in advance, and get a good weed barrier.
    Sloping the grade is the hardest part.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

condo's are a PITA. I helped my buddy do a condo last year. Property management had all these regulations about the service elavator and using power tools / table saws, etc.

Thanks - backsplash is pretty easy. My first backsplash job - i used youTube as a reference LOL

But patio stones are even easier - a good tip though is to prep the area properly - about 2-3 weeks in advance, and get a good weed barrier.
    Sloping the grade is the hardest part.
    WHAT?! Patio stones easy? Maybe my problem is that the stones I used weigh about 80lbs a piece.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    WHAT?! Patio stones easy? Maybe my problem is that the stones I used weigh about 80lbs a piece.
    Landscaper checking in calling you weak sauce.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't relish the thought of having to dig up the yard, with all that heavy arse clay...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you feel about saving over $X,xxx of dollars though?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Landscaper checking in calling you weak sauce.

I just don't relish the thought of having to dig up the yard, with all that heavy arse clay...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! Really like how you did the stairs and bathroom. Can't wait to see what you do to the kitchen and man cave...It's alot of work but worth it in many ways, including monetarily if you do most yourself. I'm in the process of renovating my condo. The unit is 23 years old and never had a friggen thing upgraded or done by previous owners, even the walls still had constructors primer lol. New paint, hardwood floors, tiles, mouldings, kitchen cabinets, appliances, bathroom, ceiling lights, switches/receptacles, closet doors, doors, etc. etc. Four months in and almost done. :-)

Your lucky though that you have a place to stay while your doing the renovations, I've had to live in my place while doing so and yes condo management can be a PITA.

I do all my power sawing out on the balcony

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 08-03-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love it but the gf is skeptical. We aren't even doing anything intricate... I don't mind laying the stones down myself but need help digging :/ any pros want some quick cash and some tm3 karma?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rent a Tiller at Home Depot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

house mods > car mods anyday.

if DIY just make sure you do a neat, professional looking quality job.

i've seen too many recently reno'd houses where the homeowner tried to it themselves and it looked like shit, and get butthurt when buyers aren't willing to pay the return they expected.

simple things like perfectly mitered/coped mouldings and casings, smooth wall patchwork and even paint with clean lines can make or break things.
    2007 Mazda 3 GS sedan - Arctic White / Tan cloth - SOLD
    2018 Tesla Model S 75D - Multi Coat Red

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say the job you did on the stairs looks amazing DU! I'm planning on doing the stairs as well - the previous owner pout in dark hardwood, but the stairs are a much lighter wood - almost beige. Did you sand/restain? I always thought it was a simple process of painting...but its looking more like a few days work of diy

2007 Black Mica GS Sedan
    Mods: 6000K Lowbeam| 3000K Fogs | VG Antenna | Open Mouth Grille | Chrome Door Sills | LED Tails/Third Brake Light/Sidemarkers | SSG Front Lip/Kenstyle Sides/Rear Flares | Nokya Yellows | Rota Torque | Eibach Prokits

Thanks
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should totally get a group of TM3ers together who are willing to put in some labour at each others' houses

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    I must say the job you did on the stairs looks amazing DU! I'm planning on doing the stairs as well - the previous owner pout in dark hardwood, but the stairs are a much lighter wood - almost beige. Did you sand/restain? I always thought it was a simple process of painting...but its looking more like a few days work of diy
    It was a complete gut. The original build called for carpet on the stairs and after pulling it off - it was clear that 3-4 of them HAD to be replaced anyways.

I did stain the banister to match the steps though.

Also - to do a flawless stain job - you would have to remove the spindles and posts. Stain is pretty difficult, as application thickness / layers will show differently with every pass. So it's VERY hard to get a smooth consistent finish.

Not saying it can't be done - as I refinished the stairs at parents home. But I wasn't completely satisfied with the outcome.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should totally get a group of TM3ers together who are willing to put in some labour at each others' houses
    +1

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I decided to update the enSuite in a day AND on a tight budget

Vinyl peel&stick tiles ($30/case)
    Grouted (leftover from foyer job)
    Stain the vanity ($15)
    New toilet ($110)
    New sink and faucet ($80)
    Mouldings (leftover from flooring job)
    Paint ($25)
    Misc decorative pieces ($30)

Now - I was never a fan of the idea of "Peel & Stick" tiles - but I like the idea of them not being as hard and cold as ceramic/stone tile. Which means nice cozy, room-temp tiles when getting out of the shower. And with these ones specifically being "groutable" - they have the look AND feel of real ceramic tile. For the price - I thought I might as well try it. Worst case scenario - ill rip it out and re-do it again.

A reno job for about $300 and completed in a day and a half - not too shabby LOL

Before

After

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, that looks great @Default User wish i could do some reno's i bought my house new

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast