Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TM3 Home Owners Association

Looks awesome @Booter22
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Looks awesome @Booter22
    Thanks. its been a lot of work but worth it for sure. by the time it will be done should be 1.5 year of full renos from when we started our basement and then moved upstairs. and we have 1 bathroom left not sure if we will start it in the spring or wait a few years to get a break.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWanker View Post
    @Booter22 - brilliant work! glad you did not use tempered glass for the staircase railing.
    my wife wanted to use horizontal air craft cable type set up but at the time the stair guy said it was not advised and safe if there are kids they can climb up it and possibly go over the railing so after much thought ( as nice as it would have looked) it made sense to go with what works and is safe.

the best thing i would say is dealing with all the contractors, and yes you dont hear that alot. our kitchen company came highly recommended from my best friend who recently used him and then his brother in law and another family member, we had also referenced them to someone who msged my wife online and now my inlaws are going to use them but even for small adjustments and fixes we had a drawer that was dragging, he came up had a look and said it seems like the box is just a hair to big so hes going to make a whole new one. they made a mistake on our bench under the window and had to remake that whole section when my wife asked what they were going to do with the wrong ones he said toss it out. we asked if we could have it for our now open closet and make a bench out of it and use it for storage ( plus it matched and carried some more of the back of the house style forward) so he gave us that for free. and was very flexable to work with us on time and our budget.

the fellow who did the stairs when asked about price was also funny and how we could pay him and asked right away as long as we dont work for the government we could work something out.

my brother in law did all of the wiring in the house and i mean everything. pot lights. all the lights/ new fixtures, wall outlets anything and everything ( and yes hes a licensed electrician) and he also did all of our new and or required plumbing adjustments. actually think we had more fights with him then anyone else but so far its been worth it. finally put in our main floor toilet i think we have had for over a year but just havent had time to do it and will hopefully be able to get the vanity installed this weekend so we can have another working bathroom ( not like we need it the house has full 3 piece baths and a 2 piece on the main floor so we have been ok)

we contacted a guy out near grand valley about a floor quote. turned out it was a little more then we wanted to pay but he said if you buy something else and install it to let him know so when we were going to do it ourselves we called him and he came by for free, and we asked about help to install it and how much. 2 days later he had someone there to install the floor and they also did our upstairs landing, all we had to do was be the runners. cut the board and he would put it in mark the next one and go.

dry wall hanger was a friend of my wifes who had his own business and mudder guys was a friend of his did us a favor and wicked price to do the whole house and fix up the basement and popcorn was removed i think was like 1500. my sister who just did a small basement room finish was quoted by her neighbor $2500 but he would do it for $1500.. so of course shes now calling our guy.

the doors. so we did front and back and a garage door. thought id have home depot come by. they quoted about $8000!, we had another friend of my wifes who has a door and siding company come by and do it for about half that.

once all is said and done i will link the contractors on here if anyone is interested. all in all we have been more then happy with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

aris (12-13-2018),SirWanker (12-13-2018)

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After over 18 months of bullshit, 3 contractors and a designer that bailed on us without responses, my living room is finally nearing completion! (just a small thing to adjust/fix)

2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shift8 For This Useful Post:

aris (12-14-2018),Jackal (12-14-2018),Kiewan (12-14-2018),SirWanker (12-17-2018)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    After over 18 months of bullshit, 3 contractors and a designer that bailed on us without responses, my living room is finally nearing completion! (just a small thing to adjust/fix)

loookin good

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

shift8 (12-16-2018)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) How much contraction and expansion is normal during seasonal transition?
    I've been noticing many nails from dry wall are starting to show. Not sure if it was already like that or I'm just starting to pay attention/observe to these small things (noob home owner, 2 years)
    Also have been noticing door frames expanding apart as well, at the top left and right corners where the horizontal and vertical parts meet. Also don't know if its changing or I'm just starting to notice.

2) Anyone ever hire a structural engineer?

I have some concerns with regards to the house that I would like inspected.
    -Sinking floor in one room
    -Reasons in 1)
    -Foundation cracks in basement, although they look more like settlement from what I've research.

would rather get these things checked out, than have a disaster later on.

3) Or would a home inspection be enough instead of a structural engineer?
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport - Celestial Blue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KL3 View Post
    1) How much contraction and expansion is normal during seasonal transition?
    I've been noticing many nails from dry wall are starting to show. Not sure if it was already like that or I'm just starting to pay attention/observe to these small things (noob home owner, 2 years)
    Also have been noticing door frames expanding apart as well, at the top left and right corners where the horizontal and vertical parts meet. Also don't know if its changing or I'm just starting to notice.

2) Anyone ever hire a structural engineer?

I have some concerns with regards to the house that I would like inspected.
    -Sinking floor in one room
    -Reasons in 1)
    -Foundation cracks in basement, although they look more like settlement from what I've research.

would rather get these things checked out, than have a disaster later on.

3) Or would a home inspection be enough instead of a structural engineer?
    1. Do you control the humidity levels in your house? This will greatly affect the way the wood drys out in the winter.
    2. I hope you don't need an engineer because that would mean a serious problem. Most knowledgeable residential contractors should be able fix the issue if it is related to the warped joists. Most foundation cracks are only questionable if you see moisture.
    3. Home inspection would be wise and they could recommend an engineer if needed.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    1. Do you control the humidity levels in your house? This will greatly affect the way the wood drys out in the winter.
    2. I hope you don't need an engineer because that would mean a serious problem. Most knowledgeable residential contractors should be able fix the issue if it is related to the warped joists. Most foundation cracks are only questionable if you see moisture.
    3. Home inspection would be wise and they could recommend an engineer if needed.
    Thanks for the response.
    1. I put a dehumidifier in the basement to dry out the air as advised by my cousin. Perhaps I need one on the second floor as well. Ecobee says its about 50% on the main floor.

2. No moisture visible, so thats a good sign.

3. Thanks, I'll look into it. Maybe a good idea for peace of mind as well. Perhaps I can also find "basement repair" companies to see if they can do an inspection. Basement is unfinished, so should be easy to inspect.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well after almost 2 years the renos are about done, we are almost done! whole main floor, took down a wall. kitchen island, new appliances, bathrooms, did the ensuite expanded that into a closet. man its crazy, new garage door, 2" thick insulated, new fence. baby room is done, office. only room left was 1 bathroom with the tub. but some small things left to do is a few floor transitions, and the back splash in the kitchen.

hows everyone else's projects going

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

Default User (12-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you keep on it while you have the motivation...

I got stoooopid and decided to take a week off of renovating.... that was 6 years ago

Floor transitions still need to be completed as well as painting the mouldings etc.

All those small jobs still on the “to do” list

LOL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

Flagrum_3 (12-22-2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Make sure you keep on it while you have the motivation...

I got stoooopid and decided to take a week off of renovating.... that was 6 years ago

Floor transitions still need to be completed as well as painting the mouldings etc.

All those small jobs still on the “to do” list

LOL
    That is soooo true.

Same here, did a shitload of work in a couple of months, took a break and years later still haven't completed some renos.

I kick myself. ; )

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the biggest problem with some of the floor transitions if getting something the wife is happy with as we don't have "transitions" for the main floor and upstairs so I need to get something to match, or make a piece that will fit between the two floors. the basement is a bit easier but with it being cold I don't mind it being a spring / summer project as they are not big things. someone else is doing the back splash so that's a when hes not busy and that's ok for us now, and my brother in law is going to come change the toilet and valves for me when I pick one up. otherwise father in law is going to finish the painting and were just about a month or so away from the baby being here so most of the little things are not "top" to do right now, which is perfect. allows me to get back to the gym a bit and play some need for speed heat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,620 Times in 803 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heads-up to all homeowners: check your hose attachments (even steel braided) from the pipe to faucets ( may it be powder room, main bathroom, kitchen sink, laundry) on a regular basis. Replace immediately if there's signs of blistering or cracking. Unless you enjoy waking up to the sweet sounds of water spraying helter skelter.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."
    ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
    "Creativity is intelligence having fun." ~ Albert Einstein

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SirWanker For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (10-15-2021)

Page 99 of 99 FirstFirst ... 4989979899