Thread: 2014 Mazda 3's Competition and other options

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Mazda 3's Competition and other options

If someone is in the market for a new car and is working with 20grand 2014 Mazda 3 GX seems like a no brainier to me. Unfortunately to get the GT one would have to spend 50% more at around 30 grand :/ I don't have the money to buy a new car right now unfortunately but if I had $30,000 to spend I'd probably look at all my options. So it got me thinking what is the GT's competition and why would someone go with Mazda over other cars.

What about;

Genesis 2.0L turbo at 274HP is about the same price, has speed 3 power and is rear wheel drive.
    Scion FRS 200HP and is supposed to be super fun to drive.
    Honda Civic Si 201 HP
    Honda Accord Coup V6
    VW Jetta Sportline or the TDI

So why Mazda 3?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda 3's Competition and other options

First item to point out, 4 of the cars you listed are Coup's, and you are comparing them to a 4 door car.
    Next compare like for like.
    If you want to compare the GT to an Accord, you need the V6 EX-L Nav, which has an MSRP of $37,000
    Want to look CivicSI sure thing...no leather, no NAVI, 17" wheels vs. 18" wheels, etc.

Should I continue ?
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First item to point out, 4 of the cars you listed are Coup's, and you are comparing them to a 4 door car.
    Next compare like for like.
    If you want to compare the GT to an Accord, you need the V6 EX-L Nav, which has an MSRP of $37,000
    Want to look CivicSI sure thing...no leather, no NAVI, 17" wheels vs. 18" wheels, etc.

Should I continue ?
    I don't think it's that unfair to compare Mazda 3 to coup's. 3 is not really an ideal family car anyways. I bet a lot of people here would've went with a coup if Mazda offered one! I for the life of me don't understand why they don't make them, IMO speed 3 should be a coup. Goes hand in hand with sports cars...

But anyways my bad about the Accord V6 I meant the 2.4L model.

As for the the upgrades, again I don't think it's a deal breaker more of a matter or opinion. Cheeseburger vs double burger. For example when I got my 05 Mazda 3 I didn't really care that it was a base model (auto, air, wheel audio controls - I don't care about other fancy crap anyways). I still would rather have that vs a loaded Focus or some other lesser car for example. And people mod their cars anyways.
    Last edited by Hotsky; 11-04-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    I don't think it's that unfair to compare Mazda 3 to coup's. 3 is not really an ideal family car anyways. I bet a lot of people here would've went with a coup if Mazda offered one! I for the life of me don't understand why they don't make them, IMO speed 3 should be a coup. Goes hand in hand with sports cars...

But anyways my bad about the Accord V6 I meant the 2.4L model.

As for the the upgrades, again I don't think it's a deal breaker more of a matter or opinion. Cheeseburger vs double burger. For example when I got my 05 Mazda 3 I didn't really care that it was a base model (auto, air, wheel audio controls - I don't care about other fancy crap anyways). I still would rather have that vs a loaded Focus or some other lesser car for example.
    I don't want to rehash the entire discussion read the 2014 thread starting here - http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...=1#post1126235 same discussion.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should've rephrased the question from 'why Mazda 3' to why not the competition? Don't get me wrong I love my gen1 and think gen3 looks great and I might end up getting one when I look for my next car, but I wanted to hear why people esp those who already got the new 3 did what they did?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Comparing a car to a certain price level is futile in the auto market. The options leave room to endless debate. You're better off comparing to the class/segment the car is classified in and was produced for. Furthermore engine and drivetrain layout. Also consider whether imports can be compared to domestics. A simple Google search will net you the top 4 or 5 segment leaders in terms of sales and price. I'm not even gonna start as arguments abound.

As per why Mazda 3? Personally its a segment leader in dynamic driving characteristics. Mazda's chassis development and suspension tuning is bar none better than the rest. Structural components and mechanics are astounding for the money (4 wheel disc brakes standard since 2010?! Macpherson struts/multilink rears, highest crash rating). Other automakers focus on revealing new creature comforts in the class. Rather I'm impressed more with components seen in higher segment vehicles.
    Last edited by r4mi5awi; 11-05-2013 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mazda 3 is not in the same class as pretty much anything you listed...someone looking for a 5 door hatchback will never consider the FRS or the genesis or the accord coupe...in the same way that someone considering a motorcycle will never consider a Mazda 3. If you are going to compare the GT model, you will have to compare to top of the line of the other cars. Probably the only car you mentioned that could be compared to the Mazda 3 is the Jetta, but given their high maintenance cost I wouldn't consider it. I believe fair comparisons would be:

1. Nissan Sentra
    2. Kia Forte
    3. VW Golf/Jetta
    4. Chevrolet Cruze
    5. Dodge Dart
    4. Honda Civic
    5. Mitsubishi Lancer (not the Evo or RAlliart)
    6. Subaru Impreza (not the WRX or STI)
    7. Hyundai Elantra/Veloster
    8. Toyota Corolla

I'm sure I am missing a few but these are all entry level compact cars. Cannot compare compacts to coupes/mid-size sedans. One would have to be blind or clinically insane to buy any of the cars that I listed above rather than the new Mazda 3

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one needed a compact family car. That's why even though I'd love one of the coupes you mentioned, I got a '12 hatch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$30G will give you a bigger playing field if you start to consider used cars.

So the bigger question is - why pick a NEW Mazda3 when I can get a 1-2 year old _________.

Honda reliability is becoming a thing of the past - both Honda and Toyota are relying on their old reputation in a way to compensate for their mediocre styling and tier overpriced econoboxes.

Hyundai is gaining market but I'm still old school thinking that it still a Hyundai and all their cars run like the Accent

An FRS would be sweet if I was a 22year old bachelor (it a 43 year old divorcee stuck in a mid-life crisis.)

The VW is a solid choice - but I would only buy it new - and sell it right before warranty is up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 30G id get a used genesis 2.0t for like 15 grand and a nice g35x 2007-8 for winter
    personal preferences right there

but im not in that situation, and my choices would probably change but atm, thats what id like

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could throw the Focus ST in there, I paid $30k and that included a sunroof (800), navi (600) and climate control+sony audio(1400).

Ride
    C400
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ST is a nice choice too!

IMHO, depending on the size of the family, if it's just a 2+1 kid, I think the 3 is an excellent choice. At least for my scenario, my car will become the baby carriage soon lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the bigger question is - why pick a NEW Mazda3 when I can get a 1-2 year old _________.
    I was thinking of that but didn't want to make it more complicated.

Comparing a car to a certain price level is futile in the auto market. The options leave room to endless debate. You're better off comparing to the class/segment the car is classified in and was produced for.
    But why does any of that matter if you just look at the cars you like and can afford aka in your/same price range?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    But why does any of that matter if you just look at the cars you like and can afford aka in your/same price range?
    For instance - I can buy a BRZ/FRS - but it ain't gonna happen for a family of 4

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYHN
    0.000212524463 gigawatts

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For instance - I can buy a BRZ/FRS - but it ain't gonna happen for a family of 4
    Just get your wife to get an SUV
    Last edited by Hotsky; 11-05-2013 at 10:12 PM.