Thread: Car Stereo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Car Stereo

I was thinking about puting a 12\" sub in my M3 even though the sound is half decent, but once you\'ve had a sub you cant go without one. I dont want to change the head unit though, I like the steering wheel mounted controls and it matches the interior, I dont think an aftermarket deck would look as good. Anyway My friends told me a sub hooked up to a factory deck will sound like shit, is this true? I know they make a piece that goes on the deck to give you RCA\'S. So has anyone done this yet, and how does it sound?

Steve M3 Sedan GT W/GFX & Rear Lip Spoiler (Titanium)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'Car Stereo\'

Sometimes a sub makes all the difference. If you do get a sub, install it first and then see if the sound is still shit.

When I test drove the 3, I had no problems with the sound system at all. Granted there probably are better, but from what i heard when I put my CD in, I\'m content with the stock system.

Mazda3 SOLD. Bye Bye XeBa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by M34ME

I was thinking about puting a 12\" sub in my M3 even though the sound is half decent, but once you\'ve had a sub you cant go without one. I dont want to change the head unit though, I like the steering wheel mounted controls and it matches the interior, I dont think an aftermarket deck would look as good. Anyway My friends told me a sub hooked up to a factory deck will sound like shit, is this true? I know they make a piece that goes on the deck to give you RCA\'S. So has anyone done this yet, and how does it sound?

My dad installed an 8\" Bazooka sub in his 98 New Beetle and stayed with the factory head unit and speakers. I think he\'s going to do the same thing with his 3...I\'m cringing just at the thought of it. From what I remember, eventhough it was only a Bazooka sub, the mid bass was overpower and it had little if no low end at all. I think the same thing will happen when it does the same thing to his 3.

If you\'re going to change something with the 3\'s sound system (or any car for that matter) add an amp, change the speakers and then add the amp...change them in that order. I changed everything but the head unit and IMO it sounds phenomenal.
    flickr

"boom goes the dynamite"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bluntman

If you\'re going to change something with the 3\'s sound system (or any car for that matter) add an amp, change the speakers and then add the amp...change them in that order.
    You Lost me... i\'m assuming one of those should be Sub?
    sw0rdfish
    Mazda 3 GT w/ GFX
    Mississauga

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sw0rdfish

If you\'re going to change something with the 3\'s sound system (or any car for that matter) add an amp, change the speakers and then add the amp...change them in that order.
    You Lost me... i\'m assuming one of those should be Sub?
    Sorry, I must have lost myself! D\'oh. It should have read:

\"...and then add the sub (with its own amp)...change them in that order.\"

1. amp
    2. main speakers
    3. sub with mono amp

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Factory Speakers in the door sounds pretty good, I was thinking of hooking up a cap to each speaker which allows no bass on any speaker a cap is installed on. Then I was going to throw in a mono bass amp and a 12\" sub (sealed). I have tried taking the bass of the speakers and putting the treble up to +3 and thought they would make good highs. All I need is the bass line. Any comments on that idea?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by M34ME

The Factory Speakers in the door sounds pretty good, I was thinking of hooking up a cap to each speaker which allows no bass on any speaker a cap is installed on. Then I was going to throw in a mono bass amp and a 12\" sub (sealed). I have tried taking the bass of the speakers and putting the treble up to +3 and thought they would make good highs. All I need is the bass line. Any comments on that idea?

Capacitors don\'t limit the frequencies to the speakers. Car audio systems typically have one capacitor for the entire system, not one for each speaker. The only thing that can limit the frequencies directed to a particular speaker is a crossover, active or passive.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capacitors don\'t limit the frequencies to the speakers. Car audio systems typically have one capacitor for the entire system, not one for each speaker. The only thing that can limit the frequencies directed to a particular speaker is a crossover, active or passive.
    Capacitors in series with the speakers will limit frequencies, I have some installed my 3. I have InstallEdge 200Hz \"SpeakerSavers\" which is basically a 200uF capacitor that forms a highpass filter/crossover with the door speaker (the formula is freq = 1/(2*pi*resistance*capacitance) ). If you look on any co-axial car speaker and you\'ll always see a small tiny capacitor attached to the tweeter.

Anyways here\'s pics of my amp+sub (pics also posted on m3f)

Its a rockford fosgate 12\" punch stage 2 sub with a rockford fosgate 300w (150w@4ohm) mono amp.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to hear the difference, go to the meet on Saturday. Bring a few CD\'s with different types of music - rap, rock, dance, techno, etc. Maybe even an Enya or Yanni CD. If you still have stock speakers, first play a song in your car and then play the same song in another car.

Before I had my audio installed, I raised the volume on the base system up to my \"maximum\" playing level (my ear drums are already pissed off at me from my previous car\'s sound system) and I found that it was clear enough for my tastes (never found the need to crank the volume up to the max). Thus, I didn\'t find it necessary to install an amp for the 6 interior speakers. However, I did change all 6 speakers in the car. Then I added a mono amp and hooked up 2 12\'s to it. I\'m very satisfied with it overall.

However, if what you want is for your neighbours to always know when you are coming home, then you might want a 5 channel amp instead of the mono amp!
    Northside - Markham

Mazda3 GT sedan - Sunlight Silver
    GFX, auto, mp3, Kenwood audio system, 38% tint

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'m very happy with the stock audio system as well. But even if I wanted to swap out the speakers and add a sub, I don\'t have the finances to do all of that. Besides, 3M, Tints and Xenon is on top of my list before upgrading Audio.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of the stereo I installed in my Mazda 3? It is three audiobahn 10\" subs in a custom made sealed enclosure, designed and made by me. Powering the subs is a cadence A7HC amp that can put out around 1400 watts rms at 1 ohm. I still need to save some money for a set of components and another amp to run them, although the stock speakers sound a lot better now because they are hooked up to my deck with built in cross overs.

I posted some pictures of my deck on other forums that a local shop installed for me but here are some more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, man! That\'s pretty good, leaving the original unit in. Is it still functional?

A wannabe thief most likely will pass over your car without a second glance and won\'t realize that you have an upgraded system.

If I were only young again ...... oh well, since I can\'t handle the decibels anymore, there was no sense spending more money than I needed. And I can\'t stress how important it is to keep your audio system looking stock ... it happened to me, almost all of my friends and a few of my relatives where our cars were broken into for the stereo equipment. So, kudos to you!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where\'d your trunk space go?!? :p

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOLZ, who needs trunk space??? :p

Unless, of course, you\'re married and have kids!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can\'t believe I forgot to peak at this at the meet... June 26th, I want to see this bad boy. Hopefully Titanium-3, you\'re comming.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Soulcrusher

LOLZ, who needs trunk space??? :p

Unless, of course, you\'re married and have kids!!!
    Me Me Me... single, no kids but play goal for ice hockey. Don\'t want no van or 4X4 or SUV... so the 3 Sport was perfect! Equipment bag, leg pads, and goal sticks slide right in perfectly! No additional passengers allowed in the back seats tho.