Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clunking/Rubbing Sound (Extreme Temps)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Clunking/Rubbing Sound (Extreme Temps)

Quote Originally Posted by komodo View Post
    ^See that's useful information.
    "It's normal" isn't right because it's not normal. I've driven many different vechicles from the cheapest to some of the most expensive and this isn't normal. People are in denial they don't want to accept that there is an issue with the car.
    When ppl say it's "normal", they mean that this issue won't cause your car to swerve off the road all of a sudden or make the car drive any worse. Car still operates fine, it just makes a noise.

I hate it when ppl come on to these forums, don't get an answer that they expect and make a huge fuss about it. Just because it isn't what you expected, doesn't mean the answer is any less useful. If you don't like what someone else tells you, go do something about it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    There's room it's just really tight I had the same issue play with it a little and it will work
    Quote Originally Posted by horto View Post
    that's what she said...

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fywdyl View Post
    When ppl say it's "normal", they mean that this issue won't cause your car to swerve off the road all of a sudden or make the car drive any worse. Car still operates fine, it just makes a noise.

I hate it when ppl come on to these forums, don't get an answer that they expect and make a huge fuss about it. Just because it isn't what you expected, doesn't mean the answer is any less useful. If you don't like what someone else tells you, go do something about it yourself.
    *like*

Sure I had a clunking sound yesterday. It was damn cold. The car still worked fine otherwise. After sitting in the garage overnight it no longer made that clunking sound.

When temperatures get this low, not everything works exactly as it would. I could go out and grease up the rear shocks and see if that made a difference. But it's too damn cold to bother about that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried numerous things to get rid of the noises, they just come back...in the cold a bit of weirdness is to be expected. Most of the time it's just from rubber bushings shrinking and getting hard at low temps that cause the extra clunking/scraping/creaking/etc. Grease helps to some degree but there's a lot of bushings on these cars that aren't serviceable.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The noise most are describing (creaking and groaning over bumps) comes from the front sway bar bushing. You can either grease them or replace with a universal bushing on the early gens. Gen2 is best to grease it as the sway bar and control arm share mounting hardware this was done on purpose to allow greasing of the bushing with just supporting the front of the car and removing the wheels. If the noise doesn't bother you just leave it.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@komodo you want useful information about shiets going wrong during extreme temps? let me tell you, your dick shrinks when it's -40C out. Does it mean your dick is no longer operational? no, you can still piss just like any others. Now, you may have issues having an erection. The useful information here is that your dick may or may not operate normally in extreme temp. But there is no need to tell your mother that you dick shrink and no longer have a normal erection. BECAUSE YOUR MOM, who has seen enough dicks, will tell you, "SON, that shit is NORMAL, and if you want to have a normal erection, just wait til it gets to operating temperature.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackyMS3 View Post
    @komodo you want useful information about shiets going wrong during extreme temps? let me tell you, your dick shrinks when it's -40C out. Does it mean your dick is no longer operational? no, you can still piss just like any others. Now, you may have issues having an erection. The useful information here is that your dick may or may not operate normally in extreme temp. But there is no need to tell your mother that you dick shrink and no longer have a normal erection. BECAUSE YOUR MOM, who has seen enough dicks, will tell you, "SON, that shit is NORMAL, and if you want to have a normal erection, just wait til it gets to operating temperature.
    I just choked on my lunch...that was epic!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JackyMS3

You have wat too much time on your hands.
    I feel sorry for you, if having an intelligent conversation is troubling for you.
    I will explain anyways. Because you need help.

I like to know why somethings are the way they are. So if something is not working the way I expect it to I try to understand why. If somebody says it's normal but provides no information then that's not good enough. And raises doubt in my mind as to whether they know what they are talking about or just parroting what they heard on the internet.

Now I will explain "normal" to you also. Just because something maybe common to a certain model of car doesn't make it normal. Just means that issue is known to exist on the car. Doesn't negate that it is an issue. There are may reasons that the bushings or whatever is making the noise. Could come down to improper installation (quality issue). Wrong size/material (design/manufacture). Moisture could be getting into where it shouldn't. Or any combination of. Either way it isn't normal in the industry for a relatively new vechicle to be making these noises. Or even old vechicles in my experience.

You can convince yourself otherwise but you're just in denial.

May not be a safety issue but it is a problem. No machine is perfect.

Ride
    Jeep Wrangler
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha..

Instagram : optiklenz13 / focalpointconcepts

www.optiklenz13.com
    FPC10

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JackyMS3

I feel sorry for you, if having an intelligent conversation is troubling for you.

I like to know why somethings are the way they are. So if something is not working the way I expect it to I try to understand why. If somebody says it's normal but provides no information then that's not good enough. And raises doubt in my mind as to whether they know what they are talking about or just parroting what they heard on the internet.

Now I will explain "normal" to you also. Just because something maybe common to a certain model of car doesn't make it normal. Just means that issue is known to exist on the car. Doesn't negate that it is an issue. There are may reasons that the bushings or whatever is making the noise. Could come down to improper installation (quality issue). Wrong size/material (design/manufacture). Moisture could be getting into where it shouldn't. Or any combination of. Either way it isn't normal in the industry for a relatively new vechicle to be making these noises. Or even old vechicles in my experience.

Buys a 250+ hp sports wagon for under $30,000. Complains about quality.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh the lulz.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JackyMS3

If it was a big issue I am sure Mazda would have corrected it. That is what people are saying...just because it doesn't happen on other vehicles doesn't mean the same circumstances aren't happening, just might mean the are not happening exactly the same to make a noise. Say for instance moisture is getting in there, maybe moisture gets in there on other vehicles but doesn't make a sound...is the moisture still there? Yes is it making a difference? no

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time I heard the sound. I was freaking out but then I realized it was -30 outside.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@JackyMS3

In fact I really do have too much time on my hands because I actually thought of something that may happen to everyone here, well except for the ladies. Anyhow, I understand what you mean by "normal" trust me my dick shrink too, and it does freak me out sometimes, especially when the sac is so close to my body I thought them balls were invisible. You always say it's not normal for the car to do this and that.. have you ever question yourself, is the weather even normal? My friend's brand new truck wouldn't start 2 weeks ago, he wouldn't tow the truck to Ford and say Bro, my eco boost is fack, wouldn't start and that's not normal. Well, for fack sakes, it's -40 outside, what you should do is tow this piece of shit back home and let it thaw, try again in a day or 2. Fact is, the car was made properly. The squeaking noise is only for the pussies to complain, I mean the real pussies that continue to complain after everyone told him it's facking NORMAL to squeak at -40 temps. No safety concerns cuz trust me if there is any safety concerns, we would have all died. Allow me to address your concerns here. Improper Installation? X. Quality Issue? X. Wrong Size? X. Wrong Material? X. Wrong Design? X. Wrong Manufacture? X. Moisture? X. Combination the above? X.

I don't know what old vehicle you drive, my old accord that my wife drives wouldn't even start, and the cabin is so noisy, EVEN on a NORMAL day, it's FACKED. Next think you are going to complain is.. What is the car using more fuel? Why is there sound coming out from the dashboard when cold? Why is my car rusting? and Bro, it's a piece of shit Mazdaspeed that we are driving.. sell the bitch and by a 435. Oh wait.. you can't cuz with the price of 435 you can by 2 pieces of mazdaspeed 3 shits and still have 10 grand left.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epic posts!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By JackyMS3 logic just because a whole bunch of people said "X",it becomes unquestionable. Doesn't matter if it was explained. Just accept it. Be a sheep like JackyMS3 or else you're a *****. I guess ignorance is bliss for you.
    Such a internet tough guy you are.

In the end the wolf doesn't care what the sheep thiks of him.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The forum has spoken! SILENCE!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 things...firstly LOL
    secondly LOL!

that is all

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By JackyMS3 logic just because a whole bunch of people said "X",it becomes unquestionable. Doesn't matter if it was explained. Just accept it. Be a sheep like JackyMS3 or else you're a *****. I guess ignorance is bliss for you.
    Such a internet tough guy you are.

In the end the wolf doesn't care what the sheep thiks of him.
    @komodo

Majority of the ppl here have found that it's not worth the time/money/effort to resolve this issue. That's all. They are not giving in or accepting defeat or whatever.

I'm sure you understand that this is a free forum and unfortunately, this is the best answer we've been able to come up with and have settled for. If you ask us anything else (e.g. how to do a MAF cal with an AP), there will be plenty of guys on here that can explain that to you.

If you decide to invest more time to discover a fix this issue, please come back and share it, because I'm sure that 99% of the ppl that "don't care" would get this fixed right away, but as of right now, things have been tried (greasing the bushings etc) but still hasn't produce the desired results.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already tried to get mine fixed, even mazda has looked at it. Front sway bar bushings were replaced this past fall, it's no better this winter. I might try replacing my front endlinks at some point to see if it has an effect. Mine is front end, not rear end noises.

Long and short, it's a crap shoot as to whether greasing or replacing certain suspension components will fix it or not. So as said a dozen times already, it's not really worth trying to resolve it as it only affects the car a few days a year and you'll probably never actually fix it and it doesn't actually hurt the car in a significant way.

Ride
    C400
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I've already tried to get mine fixed, even mazda has looked at it. Front sway bar bushings were replaced this past fall, it's no better this winter. I might try replacing my front endlinks at some point to see if it has an effect. Mine is front end, not rear end noises.

Long and short, it's a crap shoot as to whether greasing or replacing certain suspension components will fix it or not. So as said a dozen times already, it's not really worth trying to resolve it as it only affects the car a few days a year and you'll probably never actually fix it and it doesn't actually hurt the car in a significant way.
    Well so did I, i brought my old genwon back to the dealership, changed it greased it, the sound came back. I sold the car bought the genpu, the sound still persisted. We are trying to save ppls time by saying its normal. I mean Jackyms3 pretty much nailed it in explaining that its a well known issue. You can bring it back to the dealership complaining to mazda canada or whatnot, the sound will still come back. If anyone wants to look into this clunking noise, i mean go right ahead.

Btw, jackyms3 is a joker man, gotta love it. I almost choked myself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the noise issue..There is another TSB for the top trans mount, the rubber rips apart and this causes a clunking noise.
    Also the front sway bar bushings arent very good either, they squeak and can clunk if worn enough.
    A clunking noise while turning is most likely strut bearings, as when the bearing seizes the top of the spring can't turn, the spring is forced to twist and pops back and forth, this causes a clunking noise. Anyone who has owned a Chevy Cavalier knows exactly what i'm talking about lol.
    There is also another one for the noise only coming from the right side, and this one calls for a subframe bushing to be replaced.

I've listed all the TSBs for clunking noise from the front. It can also be a worn out CV shaft (inner joint) this can cause a clunking noise, when going over bumps or turning a certain way. Thats everything I can think of, and everything I've encountered. I've never had a Mazda3 for a weird noise I couldn't diagnose.
    2008 Mazda 3 GT - Daily Driver
    1985 Mazda RX7 - Carby 13B, lotsa mods, built myself

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some clunking on my speed3 going over small bumps / squeeking in the winter. Based on my research i'm pretty sure its my sway bar bushings too. I'm going to be replacing my front and rear bushings with oem and use anti-seize as a lubricant. Probably wrapping the swaybar with teflon tape as well. The install is a total pain in the ass so I'm going to try to do it right the first time and hopefully it will last long.

Here's the part numbers if anyone needs it:
    B37F-34-156B (speed3 front sway bar bushing)
    B34S-28-156A (speed3 rear sway bar bushing)

I'll post an update once I've had them installed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12