View Poll Results: Which would you rather own?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • MK7 VW Golf TDI

8 27.59%
  • 2014 Mazda 3 S GT

21 72.41%

Thread: 2014 Mazda S GT Hatch vs. Mk7 VW Golf TDI

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Mazda S GT Hatch vs. Mk7 VW Golf TDI

All,
    I am in the market for a new car in march. I am a college student at a military academy (USN) and am looking for a fuel efficient car to drive to my house and significant other's house over 250 miles away on weekends.
    After plenty of research, I have narrowed my choices down to the MK7 Golf TDI and the new Mazda 3.
    I absolutely love driving and take any opportunity to get behind the steering wheel, and hope that you all could help me in my decision for my first car.
    I plan on financing this car and driving it until it dies.

After seeing the MK7 Golf at an auto show today, I am stuck in a rut! I love the interior of the Golf and find it very "business smart," clean, and comfortable, while the Mazda's does seem a bit cheaper, more snug, and technical. I can even fit behind myself (6'2") in the golf, something that is not so comfortable in the 3. I do not like the road noise associated with the Mazda or the lack of a speedometer in the S models, but I love their drive, steering, pep, and the HUD. I am concerned about the low fuel economy numbers discussed on this forum about the new 3 and the not-so-great figures on fuelly. Compared to the TDI, this is a major weak point of the 3 in my book.

... Or, are the rumors about VW true? Will the savings on gas from a TDI be spent directly on the crazy maintenance fees? Several people I talked to today at the auto show had TDIs and reported no issues at all, but the internet seems to say that those cases are rare.
    What is the likelihood of a Mazda Diesel coming to the market in North America and when? Should I wait for the VW golf / golf wagon? Cargo space in both of these cars is a concern of mine as I am upgrading from a 2003 Ford Expedition that was passed down to me (which got 10mpg - hence my lust for high mpg), and got used to having ample space to use.

Thanks for all of your help. Your opinions and advice is very valuable to me.
    Very Respectfully,
    ~Madewell

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda S GT Hatch vs. Mk7 VW Golf TDI

2014 GT fully loaded every option hatch OR base MK7 golf GTI BASE...

Both around same price take your pick? more options in the MZ3 of course. the MK7 has more power

EDIT: not sure about TDI
    Last edited by Canadianbacon; 01-25-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Given you'll drive +250 miles weekly. TDI is a no brainer. It's tried and true as one of the only, if not only, diesel car that's been in the NA market the longest. I was exactly going to mention the maintenance issues. Research the current gen's gripes and common problems to get an idea of how this new one will fare in terms of long term reliability. Remember, not last year's model, the first model year of the current gen (4-7 years ago).

VW/Audi were synonymous with unpredictable reliability and electronic gremlins. So much so I'll never buy anything from them ever again. I purchased a brand new 2002 A4 B6 1.8T in 2001 and owned it for 9 years. Maybe things are different now.

My only other advice, which is what sealed the deal with me, is with VW I recommend you actually get maintenance done at the dealership and nowhere else, unless you know a specific VW/Audi shop. The VW/Audi group uses A LOT of propriety wear and tear parts, from windshield wipers to oil filters, that you can't simply find at a Walmart/Auto zone/Pep boys. Almost everything has to be OEM. Going outside the dealership network, almost everything will be special order. Never cheap out with these cars. So no ease of maintenance, cost of ownership will be higher.

So $90-100+ oil changes at dealerships, expensive I know. Better than going to jiffy lube or Midas and getting your car wrecked because they didn't use specific oil/oil filter/coolant/trans fluid etc. The fact you want a TDI, actually especially that its a TDI, and you will own it for the long haul is something to be on top of.

Either than that I'd say it's a good car and they last long if taken care of meticulously, so good luck!
    Last edited by r4mi5awi; 01-26-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

r4mi5awi,
    Thank you for your feedback!
    So are you saying that the maintenance problems may be fixed by the MK7? Or is that hoping too much?
    The 250 mile trip will cease after 2 more years when I hit the "fleet" and will only be driving the car when on land. Sure, there will be an expected 20-40 minute commute for training purposes here and there, but it won't be as demanding on the car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you mean reliability fix I'm not sure. There's no maintenance problem, that's just how those cars are maintained. In the short term, you'll never make your money back on the TDI if you will be driving it for two years then seldom occasionally thereafter. You have to decide between reality and outlook. If you are thinking of owning this car for the long haul, a car to raise a family with, +5 years then that's a different story.

If I were you, I'd go one model lower on the Mazda. The money you save compared to purchasing a TDI not only will be significantly lighter on your wallet, but will take care of maintenance costs, insurance, gas and possibly incidentals/emergency for the first two years. Or you can put a larger down payment.

Always factor in the cost of ownership when purchasing a vehicle. Many buyers forget and find themselves complaining about how hard their life is... (Mercedes, BMW drivers etc.)
    Last edited by r4mi5awi; 01-26-2014 at 12:42 AM.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally am in the same boat for my fiancé. I'm looking at getting her a new Jetta TDI or 3 sedan. The choice is not so clear cut. I have a Speed3 as a summer car and a 2000 Jetta TDI as a daily driver. Maintenance I found to be comparable really. If you get the dealer synthetic option at Mazda for your 3 it will cost the same as the TDI oil change. The only thing is the premium synthetic is required in the VW. I also think the TDI has longer oil change intervals although I haven't been able to confirm this yet. I change the oil in my Jetta every 10K although I'm on my own maintenance schedule. I think the newer ones are different.
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking for a car for my fiance this past summer she ended up getting a '09 Golf City. I'm not really into to to be honest, she gets about the same mileage as my 05 Mazda 3 (about 600K in summertime with mostly highway on 45L).

The only thing is the premium synthetic is required in the VW. I also think the TDI has longer oil change intervals although I haven't been able to confirm this yet.
    Whats premium? IIRC it has to meet 502 specs. Castrol Edge/Syntec is not anymore echepsive than Mobil 1 which is why I use in my car. BTW I couldn't find a oil change interval so I called VW they said every 15K.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least in the event if he's SOL it'd only be 2 grand to replaced the engine (with a used one).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an MK6 Golf TDI and went with a GS SkyActiv 3 now. My commute is 100kms daily and found that build and car quality on the VW is much superior to the Mazda, but you are also paying for it. $3000 more just for the TDI over the 2.5L at the time. My Mazda3 GS was much less than either, so instead of paying more up front to save money on fuel, I opted for the cheaper Mazda3 with very good fuel consumption. Getting a GT model would be closer but the TDI would still be more $$$. I would love to get back into a VW, but I'm okay with the Mazda3 for now.
    2013 Mazda3 SkyActiv
    2014 Mazda CX-5

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Mazda Gt will be more of a fun car to drive vs a TDI, but if your really worried about fuel get the TDI.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CelestSpeed3 View Post
    . If you get the dealer synthetic option at Mazda for your 3 it will cost the same as the TDI oil change. The only thing is the premium synthetic is required in the VW. I also think the TDI has longer oil change intervals although I haven't been able to confirm this yet. I change the oil in my Jetta every 10K although I'm on my own maintenance schedule. I think the newer ones are different.
    not sure about the vw. but the 2014 will already take synth oil for the 3. our cost in oakville is $53.95 +HST for mazda 0w20 and $81.95 + HST for castrol if you want better quality synth. the diesel 3s will hopefully show up. but as we were told the cx5 or 6 might show up this spring it sounds like even that is going to be delayed. so not sure when a 3 or if a 3 may ever come. i think which ever car you would buy as long as you do the maint when the sched says so or when you are told something needs doing you do it. either choice will last you a long time. problem is all on the web those people who have terriable stories about how expensive car bills and failed motors and trannys.. never do say they went 10 000 km over there oil changed 5 times or never changed the trans fluid when they were told 50,000 km ago it was black, smelled burnt and should be replaced. so take that with consideration from someone who works at a dealer. because its always what isnt said with stories on the web.

i would write out a list of needs to have and like to have. see which car offers more. go one step further and call the dealers and see if you can find out the first 5 years of scheduled maint and ask what extras you may see as well. ( brake flush, trans, steering, what brake replacements cost, tires even, cabin filters ) then you can see as well which car may cost more just for scheduled services. base that on cost of the car and see what you can afford.

that and does the VW TDI still require Urea? another thing that ive heard for there diesels they need to pass emisions where the mazda version will not ( which i believe is part of the hold up for arrival with emissions and all)

lots to think about @Madewell

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Madewell View Post

I can even fit behind myself (6'2") in the golf, something that is not so comfortable in the 3.
    Why would you even consider a car that is not comfortable to you? That right there would put Mazda 3 out for me without even going into more details.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some people aren't comfortable fitting in a Porsche 911 but hey, they sure won't stop from buying one :p

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can even fit behind myself (6'2") in the golf, something that is not so comfortable in the 3.
    Why would you even consider a car that is not comfortable to you? That right there would put Mazda 3 out for me without even going into more details.
    I doubt he'll be driving from the back seat lol. IF it's your car normally other people sit in the back

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Push forward the passenger seat for taller individuals. Problem solved. Both are great cars.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsky View Post
    I doubt he'll be driving from the back seat lol. IF it's your car normally other people sit in the back
    exactly

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 5 years of owning my car I only once sat in the back seat, it was a little tight but I was actually surprised that it was that comfy. I'm 6ft tall btw...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a car that lasts well until it dies, get the VW. It has 12 year corrosion (rust) warranty, and had 4 year / 80,000 kms standard warranty. The Mazda has 3 years/60,000. And I can guarantee the Mazda will develop rust much, much sooner. Hopefully not as quickly as the 1st generation 3, which had some serious rust issues. Cheap metal is cheap metal.

The VW is a stronger car, with arguably better materials and just feels overall more solid.

The Mazda is a blast to drive, but the VW GTI is even better. I know you're thinking of base TDI, not GTI (and we don't have TDI GTI here, like they do in Europe).

Drive both and see what you like more. Getting the forum to decide for you is not the way to go

P.S. this is coming from someone who drives 2014 Mazda3 GS (6-speed manual)

Ride
    2018 Kia Sorento SX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yeah the 250+ Miles gave it away. TDI.... You mentioned that you are uncomfortable just sitting in the 3. To go that many miles in an uncomfortable car? No thanks lol

Believe me, the new mazda's are just rust buckets like the rest of them. They'll start rusting from that new head unit first... guaranteed.
    Last edited by Stathakos; 02-10-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One should never ignore the rust issue on Mazdas. Hoping that they solved the problem and finding out later that they didn't will be a costly mistake. Annual oil spray is rather inexpensive and proven to work if applied correctly.

On the other hand, VW has a a great rust protection record even if no oil spray is ever done.