Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Kiewan's 2.0L

Quote Originally Posted by jay93 View Post
    I have look through their Facebook page and saw a few colors. A few I liked. I wonder if they have some sort of color chart with out me having to drive there LOL but mostly what I want is to fix the terrible curb rash on my wheels. Make them purrrrty again.

Check the link Ryan posted in the ST group buy for the different coloured powders they use. Fbook pictures are still the best.

My Mazda 6 wheels were slightly curbed and the OEM finish was chipping off one wheel. Now I can't even find which rim had the imperfection. The media blasting smoothed them out very well. You should be OK as long as its nothing too deep.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bit of a update:

The car has been on new wheels for a few weeks now and rides so much better than it did on my soon to be square steelies. I have had them repaired properly now since they were taken off the car.

The car now has gloss black Mazda 6 wheels and a set of Hankook I Pike RS's. The tires perform very well on snow (Toronto flurries and Huntsville feet), and grip very nicely in really cold weather. I like being able to drive confidently now knowing that my stopping distance is reduced by a lot.

The rims are currently covered in salt, but I have been spraying the car down every week at the coin op on Vic Park. The powder coating wont be babied at all and I am curious to see how well they hold up over the coming winters.

Tire connection also did a great job with price, install, rescheduling a appointment on my request and even re balancing my old steelies for my aunt's car.

Very happy with the results.

Few recent pics

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great! I have Hankooks on my MZ3 and it's great in the winter. Rims look awesome.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been through a few different brands of winter tires and the I pikes are by far the best. Good grip and comfortable. Good choice
    IG: 2pointlow

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jay93 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (01-10-2015)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have not tried hakipelettas (sp?), please retract that statement.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloops View Post
    They might not be the very best but they are damn good. Much better than the budget pair I had bought when I was a student.

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been through a few different brands of winter tires and the I pikes are by far the best. Good grip and comfortable. Good choice
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitloops View Post
    Actually, I've had both sets, and I slightly prefer the IPike's. Although the Hak's I was using were a bit older than the IPike's, so that could've been a factor in their performance as well. Both very solid winter tires though.

Back on topic for this ride thread though.. those powdercoated rims look great. Nice blackout look you got going for winter

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FD22 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (01-11-2015)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bit of a winter update regarding the CS skid tray

I am really liking it on unplowed side streets as I bottom out everywhere and It is quite loud as I'm scraping along.

My car was on the hoist yesterday, so Jimmy and I were checking it out. He thought of me when another Mazda 5 hit a piece of metal on the road, taking out the transmission, much like that what that trailer hitch did to my oil pan. We found that it only has a few scuffs and is holding up just fine.

My Only complaint is that it sticks down about 3 or 4 inches, reducing ground clearance so I would not recommend it for anyone who is riding lower than sport lines or prokits.

I am extremely happy with it so far as it has taken the brute of a few snowfalls now, and countless pieces of snow/ice that fall off of peoples wheel wells.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That tray sounds like an awesome idea. But I feel as I will make sparks on the asphalt everywhere I go.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That tray sounds like an awesome idea. But I feel as I will make sparks on the asphalt everywhere I go.
    There is a manhole cover that I always scrape near my parents house. Sparks at night freak out dog walkers. Its a really strong piece and should be fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    There is a manhole cover that I always scrape near my parents house. Sparks at night freak out dog walkers. Its a really strong piece and should be fine.
    Thanks for the review.. Adding this to my list of things to do.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Update time.

I have been contemplating the direction of the car over the last few months. I have grown tired of the purple wheels, and want to go in a more subtle direction. I have accepted that I am past the point of no return (resale wise) so I'll be keeping it till I can comfortably afford something else/ when she dies. Major $$$ priorities lay elsewhere right now and a small portion shall be spent on proper maintenance and new wheels for my end game of this car. Minor body work to fix surface rust in all the usual Mazda places are also in my future..

pics of car as it sits right now:

Because I am keeping it, I am treating it/myself to new wheels as I have to replace my tires soon anyways. I can sell the purple gen1 GT wheels with tires and recoup the cost of the new (used) wheels, and a bit of powder coating costs.

New direction:
    I have bought a pair of RX-8s off another member which are to be powder coated Ebony chrome with stripping technologies.

Ebony chrome:

I dont know if I would like to finish the rims in this exact shade, or go a bit darker.

I have been in contact with the guys at ST for a while now and we have decided on Ebony Chrome shot over a black base is a viable option instead of the bright silver that they are normally done with (still debating). The Rims will be Finished with acrylic clear coat (high gloss) and opti-coated with Hamza later on.

The rims should retain the same awesome metalic effect, but look a bit darker. Almost like this combo from another member:

I have not decided if I should do the regular Ebony chrome shown in the first picture, or go a bit darker with the black base to achieve something closer to the second example.

So I would like feedback on the two following topics:

1) Should I finish the rims in regular Ebony chrome, or go with a slightly darker variant of Ebony chrome? Leave your opinion on which looks better on RX-8s on a black car.

2) I am also looking for some recommendations on summer tires for 225/40/18. I have done some initial research but would like to look Into more options, then compare, compare, compare ...

Looking for some performance, good handling in the wet, and good value for a moderate price range. Looking for a tire that wears better than my current Coopers.

$500-650 CAD

I currently have Cooper zeon RS3-Ss which perform very well, drive quiet, are great In the rain, but wear terribly...

I Have been looking at Neuton NT 5000s, referred to me by a coworker who switched from Nankang NS2s

Also looking at Hankook Ventus V12 Evos which are at the higher end of the $ range. I have Hankook snow tires and am very impressed thus far so I looked into their other offerings.

These are on my short list, but please suggest your preferred tire for these parameters.

I am not getting M. Pilot super sports or something like that. Car is not tracked so they are not necessary at all . Spirited driving up north on country roads, and quick downtown city driving is about all my car sees nowadays.

It'll be an exciting month or so for my old car. It's been interesting so far.

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Kiewan; 08-11-2015 at 11:35 PM.

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would personally go for the slightly darker finish. Seems like it would flow a little better with a dark color like yours.

In terms of tires, not sure about the other ones you mentioned, but I can definitely chime in on the V12's. As with you, no tracking or anything for me either, but since getting them this last Spring, I am quite happy with them. Road noise is very minimal, grip for everyday driving and time to time a little spirited driving is great as well. Both in the dry and wet. Can't comment too much on wear as of yet, but no noticeably excessive/odd wear or anything as of yet. I was able to get them for a pretty good price here in Michigan, but I do recall them being noticeably pricier in Canada. Would definitely be in the upper end of your range.

Looking forward to the changes in your wheel setup. I'll miss the purple, but I think the RX8's in that color will give it a great look. That subtle OEM+ look.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FD22 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (08-12-2015)

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree, I would go with Ebony chrome as-is. Don't make them too dark, especially on a black car. IMO it seems so uninspired.

I don't have a wide range of experience with tires, but I bought a set of Nexen CP672 92H from Simply Tire this year. They have been excellent for normal and spirited road driving, no issues in the wet. Much much quieter than the Coopers I had before.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aitch For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (08-12-2015),p-o-g-i (08-12-2015)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I disagree, I would go with Ebony chrome as-is. Don't make them too dark, especially on a black car. IMO it seems so uninspired.

I don't have a wide range of experience with tires, but I bought a set of Nexen CP672 92H from Simply Tire this year. They have been excellent for normal and spirited road driving, no issues in the wet. Much much quieter than the Coopers I had before.
    This is what I have been debating for a while now. Have been leaning more towards the regular shade lately, and I'll check those tires out.
    Thanks for the review on the Hankooks @FD22. They have been looking very good so far and I'll keep your experience in mind when comparing them with others.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a vote for a lighter shade?!?!?
    What can I say... I like chrome

When my tires bald I can guarantee you that my rims won't be black anymore :p
    I just haven't powder coated them as I didn't want to pay to remove the tires, and the tires are relatively new.
    resident "Bouncer"; all-around nice guy ...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p-o-g-i View Post
    Is there a vote for a lighter shade?!?!?
    What can I say... I like chrome

When my tires bald I can guarantee you that my rims won't be black anymore :p
    I just haven't powder coated them as I didn't want to pay to remove the tires, and the tires are relatively new.
    Too bright for me

I have decided on their regular ebony chrome. They should be very bright when the sun catches them with the acrylic clear coat and look darker than OEM in the shade. I am mostly interested in that metalic finish though. Here's hoping they look good.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

Aitch (08-13-2015),p-o-g-i (08-13-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of those 2 BMW rims posted. The one on the left looks lighter and I like it better. Idk if they're the same colour. Maybe the camera makes one look lighter than the other but my vote is the lighter one on the left.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they're the same, it shows how they change depending on the lighting.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I think they're the same, it shows how they change depending on the lighting.
    Depending g on what time they were done, ST moved from an iPhone camera to a DSLR.

I am Having the bald tired removed tomorrow. Drop off is sometime next week after hours, will confirm tomorrow and pickup next Saturday if all goes to plan.

I explained my work hours situation and they said " we can accommodate you". Good service so far and the communication has improved each time.

Will post many many pics when they are done

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I picked these up at the 401 dixie mazda meet yesterday with the new TM3 discount.

Have decided on ebony (regular bright) chrome with some purple accents left on the car (interior pieces, emblems, washers on license plate ect.).

It was definitely a hard choice on wheel colour but i want to go more subtle. Will post lots of pics when the rims are on with tires.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Update.
    Rims went on yesterday, the shine nor metallic finish comes across in pictures. I like them a lot.

Picked then up from ST on Friday after waiting on the shipment of acrylic clear cost to come in. They had just come out of the oven so I hauled a** to Cambridge.

I kept a bit of purple in the lugs but its definitely a lot more subtle

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

jonjon72 (08-30-2015)

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good man. As you say, in sure they look much nicer in person as well.

Unless I missed it, what tires did you end up going with then?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh yeah. Nankang NS2 R's through tire connection. Just because they were ridiculously cheap. They grip very very well, same road noise as the coopers I had. No wheel hop, and I can take on/off ramps at silly speeds now
    I Will get nicer tires in a season or two when $$$

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice nice. I've heard decent things about those tires as well.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to FD22 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (08-31-2015)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast