Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Motor Mount: Without the vibe ;)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rear Motor Mount: Without the vibe ;)

A few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and install the rear lower torque mount from the electric ford focus. Since we all share the same platform, but the electric motors have more torque, ford obviously beefed up the engine mount to handle the toruqe, so this is a nice "upgrade" to our stock mount. The biggest draw to this mount over simply buying an aftermarket mount, is that it costs well under half the price of any other mount and IT WORKS. These cost roughly 45 dollars in the USofA and roughly 65 here in canada (don't know why It's more but oh well). This mount is praised on the ST forums, and I can see why...

Ford Part No: CM5Z-6068-A

Here is a pic that compares the ST mount to the E-focus Mount (E focus is at the top)

And a video to show the difference in flex:

As you can see, even on the ST, the stock mount sucks and obv allows for the trans to slap around.

I'm sure a few people already know about this mod, but this is more to outline "What you should buy if you want a RMM, but are going to whine and complain if your car vibrates after you install one". THIS IS YOUR MOUNT. THIS IS WHAT YOU BUY. THIS WILL STIFFEN UP YOUR TRANS, QUICKEN UP YOUR SHIFTS, HELP WITH WHEEL HOP, AND NOT MAKE PENNIES DANCE IN YOUR CUPHOLDER. THIS IS YOUR MOMENT

/that is all

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austinSedz For This Useful Post:

arsin225 (07-28-2016),Vallord (09-26-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rear Motor Mount: Without the vibe ;)

you have it install on your 3 or Focus?
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what did it cost you?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by austinSedz View Post
    A few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and install the rear lower torque mount from the electric ford focus. Since we all share the same platform, but the electric motors have more torque, ford obviously beefed up the engine mount to handle the toruqe, so this is a nice "upgrade" to our stock mount. The biggest draw to this mount over simply buying an aftermarket mount, is that it costs well under half the price of any other mount and IT WORKS. These cost roughly 45 dollars in the USofA and roughly 65 here in canada (don't know why It's more but oh well). This mount is praised on the ST forums, and I can see why...
    @Booter22 Bolded $65 in the OP

Ride
    2018 Kia Sorento SX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

looks like it could probably fit. The stock RMM looks like its similar to the focus'

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Focus ST and I've been trying to get the dealer to do the switch for free but I'm having trouble convincing them I 'need' it. Like the bang I get when I shift from 1st to 2nd was nothing, ugh.

It's good to hear that the ST and MS3 have some interchangeable parts (been having a hell of a time finding parts in Canada), I've been wanting to upgrade the crappy stock RMM but waiting on the Ford dealer sounds like a ongoing PITA. The E-Focus mount is generally a good cheap fix to the RMM problem, it will have increased NVH but should settle down, or you get used to it

COBB also makes a gorgeous RMM:

Last edited by coriolis; 03-20-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    @Booter22 Bolded $65 in the OP
    thanks. i was using my powers of selective reading

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torque solution RMM did the trick for me... Feels like stock!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered this RMM from Ridgehill Ford in Cambridge. $49 and will be in tomorrow. I've been through 2 oem mounts within the last year. I'll install once we have some warmer weather and report back. Sounds like a great solution for those looking to daily a near stock MS3.

Stay tuned!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jwoods_24 you ordered the focus e-mount right?

the focus e-mount looks like a cheapened version of the classic cp-e stage 1 mount. Will the focus e-mount fit the MZR (2.0 and 2.5L) powerplants on our 1st and 2nd gen 3's?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my limited reading on few forums, you need the mount and the matching bolt.

I want to hear more how this compares to other mounts of there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    @jwoods_24 you ordered the focus e-mount right?

the focus e-mount looks like a cheapened version of the classic cp-e stage 1 mount. Will the focus e-mount fit the MZR (2.0 and 2.5L) powerplants on our 1st and 2nd gen 3's?
    Yes it does, but at 1/4 of the price, it should be a substantial upgrade. IMHO, the focus e-mount looks to be much better than stock, and damn-near comparable to many other stage 1/2 mounts. (durometer rating?) It may not look the part, but it should perform well. I'll be picking up the mount this afternoon and will install as soon as the weather cooperates.

I'll be installing on a 2010 MS3. Not sure about fitment, especially on an MZ3. I'll have details shortly!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@jwoods_24 please post images of the install if you can. I agree the solid bushing is better then our stock mounts MZ3 or MS3.

Did you just buy the mount or did you also order the bolt with it?

In terms of fitment, compare it directly with our stock Mazda mount - pics of this would be great.

This is definitely exciting as it could be a fantastic (and cheap) upgrade to the mushy stock mount, without getting the NVH of the classic cpe stage 1 (I am running the 75 duro one now)
    Last edited by sarujo; 03-22-2014 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed my mount on a Volvo, which also shares the same chassis as the focus ST and Mazda3. For those who arn't aware, the s40/c30/v50 shares the same chassis and therefor the same suspension (i'm running mazda BCracing coilovers), the same swaybars (im running a tri-point engineering swaybar), the same front and rear calipers as the mz3 (a ms3 caliper upgrade is pretty common, just like on the 3, and the ms3 calipers are the same as on the volvo s40awd), we also share the same RMM, since many volvo guy's have toyed with cobb and CPE mounts on their cars as well as many other things.

For the gentleman with the ST, you share the same front calipers as the MS3 and s40awd, sp mazda BBK's are compatible if u can find rotors with the right bolt pattern, which is also the same rotors as the s40awd, you have the same hub bore and bolt pattern as all P1 volvos post 2007, and the same RMM, suspension, swaybars, endlinks, etc etc. You can also fit exhausts from s40/c30 with slight modification to pipe lengths on the tips and where it joins the downpipe.

It's all the same car.

While I havn't fitted this mount on a mazda, i've seen mazda mounts fitted to my car, so if the ford mount fits my car, and the mazda mount fits my car, then the ford mount should fit the mazda

I just wanted to share this info with the forum, since you guys dont seem to have this info posted up here, and it's really the best bang for your buck as far as motor mounts go. A nice improvement, for about 1/4 the price. I definitely don't regret the purchase and I wanted to spread the word

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to austinSedz For This Useful Post:

coriolis (03-26-2014),greyseason (03-26-2014),n00bMeiSter (05-27-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, good to know. Sourcing parts for the ST have been a PITA!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just checking in to see if you were able to install that mount - any pics and feedback? We all would love to hear about it!

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods_24 View Post
    Yes it does, but at 1/4 of the price, it should be a substantial upgrade. IMHO, the focus e-mount looks to be much better than stock, and damn-near comparable to many other stage 1/2 mounts. (durometer rating?) It may not look the part, but it should perform well. I'll be picking up the mount this afternoon and will install as soon as the weather cooperates.

I'll be installing on a 2010 MS3. Not sure about fitment, especially on an MZ3. I'll have details shortly!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up an e-focus RMM a few weeks back for my 2010 Mazda3. I'd suggesting having the part number with you when you go to order as the parts guy couldn't find it buy searching without the number. I finally got around to installing it today. Direct bolt in, take about 15 minutes. You need both the MOUNT and the BOLT. Your gona need a 17mm and a 19mm socket and appropriate ratchet. Unbolt the stock mount and the bracket it bolts to. New mount in, bolt everything back together. BAM!! done.
    Went for a quick boot around town. It shifts a lot smoother, you don't get that slight bucking (nose dive) every time the clutch is in to shift. Very slight vibration at idle (only feel it when your feet are resting on the peddles). Better throttle response, all the typical reasons we put aftermarket mounts in cars. I'll post some pics once I figure out how.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Flying Dutchman For This Useful Post:

n00bMeiSter (05-27-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

figure out how to post pics

Stock mount

Play in the engine with the RMM unbolted, I was laying on the grond pushing by hand and this is the amount of play in the remaining mounts

remove the 3 bolts with the '10' on the heads

2014 Electric focus mount, $45 for the mount. (I didn't get the bolt, but you need it, I have to run to the dealership cause I cant seem to figure out what thread it needs =/ )

Bolted all back together, direct swap

Again, super easy, only takes a few minutes and you can feel the difference. You need to pick this up if you haven't already replaced your RMM.
    If you guys have any more questions, feel free to ask.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flying Dutchman For This Useful Post:

don77 (08-22-2015),n00bMeiSter (05-27-2014),sarujo (04-28-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Flying Dutchman thanks for the pics and update. Which 2010 Mazda engine and powertrain are you running? Which dealer did you get it for $45? And could you provide us with the part number for the bolt?

This looks great, having just removed my old cpe stage 1 RMM (back to stock on my 2010 2.0L) and while I am enjoying the quiet cabin again, the slop is starting to drive me nuts a week later...

PS: looks like quite a bit of rust under your ride for a 2010. I take it you have not done any rustproofing?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the pics and update. Which 2010 Mazda engine and powertrain are you running? Which dealer did you get it for $45? And could you provide us with the part number for the bolt?
    I've got the 2.0 and a 5 speed. I got it from a dealer up here in Pembroke, its Murphy Ford. I don't have the number for the bolt, I have to go back to the dealership and order it up, the bolt I used kinda works, but I don't want to leave it in there too long (its a random bolt off the hardware wall at work)

PS: looks like quite a bit of rust under your ride for a 2010. I take it you have not done any rustproofing?
    Its not as bad as the pics make it look lol The roads out here are junk, so me being lowered a bit (2inchs), and driving it at that height all year round, the bottom takes a beating. I'm going to clean up and paint a bunch of the undercarriage this summer and oil it myself (the shops out here are a rip off, my GF's car was 'done' and its as dry as mine...except the plastic, its all oil soaked -.- ). Hoping to build some armour too, but we'll see.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ fantastic! Looks like I will be picking up this mount very soon and I will order the bolt as well. From reading many other sites about this, I believe the only difference is the threads...one is fine and other is course.

Believe me, the roads down here in the GTA are crap after this winter! Thankfully my annual Krown'ing has been working out great.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm this could be worth a try.. even for my short commute.. let me know how it rides @sarujo if you do yours

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Booter22 for sure. Will be connecting with the Ford dealer(s) close to the office this week!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So any other mounts worth replacing as well? Or just rmm?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vibes are half the fun... this is no fun
    Mazdaspeedemon3's Ride

yo, i update my sig everyday with other peoples comments. son

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast