Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Spots on Mazda3 GX - Rail Dust

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rust Spots on Mazda3 GX - Rail Dust

I bought my Mazda 3 GX Sport brand new in 2010 from Ajax Mazda in 2010. It's Crystal Pearl White.

I purchased the Rust undercoating and we were told it had a Warranty.

After I washed my car this past weekend (for the first time since the January thaw), I noticed little tiny rust dots sporadically spread all over my car doors, the hatchback, and even the fiberglass bumper!

When I called the dealership, they told me, that I was supposed to bring in my car every 2 years for them to check it over and see if there were any issues. I never did that. I didn't know I had to. I never even received REMINDERS! Yet, I'll receive a reminder for an oil change all the time.

My dilemma is, I checked my glove compartment for the paperwork in the pouch for my car, and lo and behold, on the back of the warranty for my rust proofing, there was a sheet which had 'check tickets' one at 24, 48, 36 months etc.

I didn't use any of them, because I never took it in.

I'm going to be taking it in next weekend to speak to an assistant manager in hopes that they will honor the warranty and fix it. I'm so pissed off. It's so noticeable. I feel like I've wasted my money on the rust proofing.
    Regardless of whether or not I was supposed to bring it in, I still think it's a shoddy job. My boyfriend drives a 1996 Neon, and there are no such spots on his car except for the natural rust/corrosion on the corners of the door.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY TROUBLE WHEN THEY WENT IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER TOOK IT IN AT ANY TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED?

Am I pretty much screwed out of my warranty because I didn't practice due diligence (that I didn't even think I needed to practice?)

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RUST SPOTS on MAZDA3 GX - I HAVE RUST PROTECTION, HOWEVER....

Rail dust.... You need to clay bar your car and then wax.

their is many threads on this
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you have a uphill battle with the warranty if you ever have issues.

Fortunately, like Aris mentioned, you have rail dust. You can do it the hard way and clay bar your car or get a bottle of iron-x.

Canadian tire won't sell it but eshine and wisdom detail will have it. I believe they are both sponsors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiberglass rust?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mystix View Post

Fortunately, like Aris mentioned, you have rail dust. You can do it the hard way and clay bar your car or get a bottle of iron-x.

Canadian tire won't sell it but eshine and wisdom detail will have it. I believe they are both sponsors
    If you don't have the time or expertise to effectively get rid of the rail dust. You can contact one of the sponsors for a detail. At least on the bright side, it's not actual rust

Also, always a good idea to read all fine print, especially warranties. I too bought rust warranty back in 2012, read the fine print there and then and will take it in before this year is over.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RUST SPOTS on MAZDA3 GX - I HAVE RUST PROTECTION, HOWEVER....

Canadian Tire sells clay bar kits by Meguiars and Mothers.

If you do get anything from eshine or wisdom detail get IronX to get rid of that nasty rail dust.
    Last edited by Jackal; 04-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep hearing about people freaking out about rail dust, makes me laugh. One local guy the other day was just about to sand it down and use touchup paint at the advice of other members regarding his "rusting rock chip"
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cab0oze For This Useful Post:

jwoods_24 (03-31-2015)

Ride
    2018 Kia Sorento SX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    I keep hearing about people freaking out about rail dust, makes me laugh. One local guy the other day was just about to sand it down and use touchup paint at the advice of other members regarding his "rusting rock chip"
    omg..

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the OP, you should always read a fine-print for those warranties. I was not told that by the dealer as well, but found out later and have been taking it for inspection every other year (I was told I don't need to do every year). They don't remind you about it as this basically separate company (Sym-Tech in my case) and they don't have any stake in it.

Also you can tell them to touch-up spots during inspections if you see that some of it came of. That was the case for me for the skirts joining rocker panel with under-body. As for "rust" other already answered it; i.e. clay bar for the win
    Last edited by r4BBiT; 04-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    2010 Mazda 3 GS (daily driver)
    2008 Mercedes-Benz C230 4MATIC Sport + Premium Package (wife's car)
    1991 Honda Civic Hatchback DX (parted and wrecked)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed some rail dust on my car this weekend. From what I've read I should do the following..

Wash. Ironx. Clay. Seal and/or wax.

What would people suggest to use as a sealant or wax? I already own everything else but I always get confused between sealants.. Polishes.. Waxes. Some of the terms I find are used interchangeably by various companies so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip ironx, i have no idea what that is (aside from stuff that will strip metal and take stains out of clothes), but it is definitely not necessary.
    Clay or polish to remove the spot, seal or wax to protect (and no, i have no idea about the difference. AFAIK it is all the same, just varying degrees of durability/quality. If you're just shopping at CT, it is a total tossup. Just get whatever good brand is on sale and call it a day...

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Fiberglass rust?
    Yes, I can confirm my shower is rusting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default RUST SPOTS on MAZDA3 GX - I HAVE RUST PROTECTION, HOWEVER....

Quote Originally Posted by fruitloops View Post
    Yes, I can confirm my shower is rusting.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lmmorden For This Useful Post:

DumpInfo (06-12-2014),fruitloops (04-14-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    Skip ironx, i have no idea what that is (aside from stuff that will strip metal and take stains out of clothes), but it is definitely not necessary.
    Clay or polish to remove the spot, seal or wax to protect (and no, i have no idea about the difference. AFAIK it is all the same, just varying degrees of durability/quality. If you're just shopping at CT, it is a total tossup. Just get whatever good brand is on sale and call it a day...
    Why would you tell someone not to use a product if you have no idea what it does?

It depends on how bad his rail dust is. I noticed I had it all over my car and spent the entire day claying my car before I can opti-coat it. It took 3-5mins per section to remove the rail dust with a clay bar.
    Had I known about ironx, it wouldve taken 20mins.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mystix For This Useful Post:

aris (04-15-2014),Mr Wilson (04-15-2014),S.F.W. (04-15-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you tell someone not to use a product if you have no idea what it does?

It depends on how bad his rail dust is. I noticed I had it all over my car and spent the entire day claying my car before I can opti-coat it. It took 3-5mins per section to remove the rail dust with a clay bar.
    Yeah most things I have read up on say ironx is the first step in removal and to clay the second. Though I don't think mine are too bad.

Maybe I'll talk to one of the sponsors about getting the spots removed and veh all sealed and wax.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, well between polish or clay (both of which are important tools in your car detailing kit) you can remove these spots in seconds. I was just saying it wasn't necessary to go purchase a new dedicated product just for that... If you're a professional detailer and have room in your garage for a product for every different kind of paint contamination, then great, but for the avg person it's not necessary.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clay and polish does NOT remove the metal that caused the rust spot in the first place.
    If you use iron- properly, you won't see rail dust each spring. It's a one-time fix.

IMPORTANT!!! After uses iron-x, which is basically an acid, you must rinse and wash thoroughly with an alkalai based soap, or the acid will damage the paint.

So, in order: wash, ironx, wash again, clay, polish, wax.

Ride
    2013 Mazdapeed3 CWP
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discovered rail dust on my car the moment I started blasting them salt and dirt from the winter beating. I waited until the weather got better and brought out my trusty CLAY bar.....voila......rail dust begone.

By the way, even if you missed the 24th month inspection, you can always use the 36th month (or 48th even) to have them verify the "rust". Either way, they will need to honor the warranty and undertake the necessary work if it is indeed "rust".

Bone Stock Slow

Ride
    2019 Lexus RCF
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nextmod also carries Iron-X. I used it the past weekend and it works wonders on any white car.

The only con about it is the smell...
    His: 2019 Lexus RCF V8
    Hers: 2017 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5L

aZumi @ SSR website
    aZumi @ Cobb website

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aZuMi View Post
    Nextmod also carries Iron-X. I used it the past weekend and it works wonders on any white car.

The only con about it is the smell...
    Hate da smell. There's supposed to be a cherry scent or other but I think it just masks the smell. But it's probably the best one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you just had rail dust.. and not real rust yet. The kind that blows up. I had mine fixed under the factory warranty though i did purchase extended warranty (the first gen's had it extended).

I serviced my car to keep warranty through the first 3 years and eventually stopped once warranty was up as I did it myself. My rust from the fix came back and I came in with my extended warranty and got your same explanation - that inspections were needed and I was a year and half out of my last one. The manager at this point tried to help but I thought it was an uphill battle - the car though got totalled (rear end) a few weeks later so the situation never got finished... but the moral of the story is; you don't have real rust yet, get that warranty back somehow.
    2015 Subaru WRX Sport / Dark Grey Metallic
    2007 Mazda3 Sport GS 2.3L / Crystal Pearl White / 5spd - rip

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rust Spots on Mazda3 GX - Rail Dust

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomM3S2010 View Post
    I bought my Mazda 3 GX Sport brand new in 2010 from Ajax Mazda in 2010. It's Crystal Pearl White.

I purchased the Rust undercoating and we were told it had a Warranty.

After I washed my car this past weekend (for the first time since the January thaw), I noticed little tiny rust dots sporadically spread all over my car doors, the hatchback, and even the fiberglass bumper!

When I called the dealership, they told me, that I was supposed to bring in my car every 2 years for them to check it over and see if there were any issues. I never did that. I didn't know I had to. I never even received REMINDERS! Yet, I'll receive a reminder for an oil change all the time.

My dilemma is, I checked my glove compartment for the paperwork in the pouch for my car, and lo and behold, on the back of the warranty for my rust proofing, there was a sheet which had 'check tickets' one at 24, 48, 36 months etc.

I didn't use any of them, because I never took it in.

I'm going to be taking it in next weekend to speak to an assistant manager in hopes that they will honor the warranty and fix it. I'm so pissed off. It's so noticeable. I feel like I've wasted my money on the rust proofing.
    Regardless of whether or not I was supposed to bring it in, I still think it's a shoddy job. My boyfriend drives a 1996 Neon, and there are no such spots on his car except for the natural rust/corrosion on the corners of the door.

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED ANY TROUBLE WHEN THEY WENT IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER TOOK IT IN AT ANY TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED?

Am I pretty much screwed out of my warranty because I didn't practice due diligence (that I didn't even think I needed to practice?)

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Perhaps I can shed some light. Please read carefully.

Rail Dust is a completely separate monster than Rust and Corrosion. Rail dust is something that occurs during shipping. It is not there from the factory. Most White vehicles seem to be most affected because it is the most apparent. Rail Dust is not covered under any warranty as it is an ailment from an exterior factoid. Such as a rusting stone chip would also be. It can be cured with the suggestions from the others on this thread. Clay bar, waxing. It is likely more apparent now because of time.

Rust. Rust occurs when bare metal is exposed to the elements. Stone chips may rust or perhaps from all the salt in the winter. Undercoating helps prevent this without a doubt, but is limited to the undercarriage. A Corrosion Module (ECC) through Sym-Tech will aid in preventing this from happening by neutralizing the effects of oxidization. It will also include the horizontal body panels. Surface rust components may be covered under the warranty for a max of 6 years. (May require the paint Protection Component for this coverage) Lifetime guarantee on the unit doing it's job. No inspections required.

Corrosion. Mazda now offers an 8 year corrosion Warranty. Corrosive rust that begins from the inside out. It does not occur from outside factors, but a defect in the workmanship of how the body panels are manufactured. Ie. Holding water, not sealed, premature bubbling. The Warranty require an Annual Perforation Warranty Body Inspection that is completed with your yearly service at 12 months or 24,000kms. This is new as of I believe late last year. Extended from the 5 years originally offered. Our service team provides a copy of the report.

These are the difference. My advice, next time around sign up for the ECC model along with the Paint Protection (perma wax). It will get rid of it before its even an issue and keep your car looking hot. It is difficult to predict this because it does not happen to every car. It's easy to prevent.

You have not wasted your money on the undercoating. It will prevent the undercarriage from being eaten by the beast that is Winter. Before you speak to your dealer, have a look at the Warranty Booklet in your vehicle. It explains the scope of the Corrosion warranty from the manufacturer.

Might not be exactly what you want to hear but I hope that helps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna revive this thread instead of creating a new one. Hopefully it's the right section.

So after washing my car today, looking at the inside "shell" tip of my left tail lights, I see a 0.5-1cm "rust/rail dust" looking line/gash. Last summer, I got my tail lights tinted. Using Q-tip to reach it doesn't work lol.

a) Is this raildust/rust?
    b) If rust, did the tail light tinting job have anything to do with this?
    c) If rust, since it's only small, how do you go ahead on fixing this? I wanna make sure that if it's rust, it doesn't spread.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got pics of this rail dust? i want to take a look in my car (just washed it) lol

i have 2012 Mazda3, and i dont see any rust. i patch up my paint chips anywhere and everywhere on my car lol
    IG - http://instagram.com/jswift79
    Graphite Mica -2012 Mazda 3 GX sport
    no $$$ for mods crew

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll post it in a bit. Gotta get it out in the sun lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast