Thread: Motor build! up for any local suggestions!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Motor build! up for any local suggestions!

Hey guys, First time posting here! So what I have is an 07 Speed3 and I was running a GT3076R with supporting mods (FMIC, 3"catless turbo back, autotec HPFP internals, accessport, meth, cpe safe seals etc etc) and basically it went kaboom cyl rod 3 broke and I now have two nice inspection holes in my block. I have a new block, crank and other stock goodies I need and am looking for some suggestions on a good motor shop somewhere closeish to Toronto. My buddy who builds Subaru's has had good luck with Gord Bush. I figured I would ask on here and see what you guys think. I am looking for 400 WHP and I am prepared to spend the money on good parts and a good motor guy. I don't want Zoom Zoom Boom again. One of the options I am looking into is a company speedperf6rmanc3 from the states who specializes in the MZR and has a CNC set up for head porting which is very temping but has a bit of a waiting list. Let me know what you think! Any help or suggestions is appreciated!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Motor build! up for any local suggestions!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitley go with Gord Bush if u can. my dad has had 2 bike engines done from him, and run great and strong to this day. the next time i get an engine built, will be by him.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiyomi For This Useful Post:

greyseason (04-23-2014),Murrayspeed (04-14-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not trying to put down any shops in particular.....but i would stay away from CA (Competition Automotive) in richmond hill. They have built many disi's, some have been fine. quite a few have popped within 100kms. Just something to be weary about.
    400WHP Club!
    Gingerbuilt-Self Tuned-Built Short Block yada yada yada-Enkie RPF1 17x9 +45 wrapped with 245/40 PSS

Check out my build thread! http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...s-Build-Thread

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tanspeed3 For This Useful Post:

Aitch (04-23-2014),Fack_Dude (04-23-2014),greyseason (04-23-2014),Murrayspeed (04-23-2014)

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next time, I'm gonna leave my car with my boy Xzibit then come back in 2 weeks...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not do it yourself? its not that hard as long as you get torque spec etc
    Quote Originally Posted by n00bMeiSter View Post
    Really Dave? You just have to make things worse...
    Just for that, your website sucks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are no local shops with any success with our motors. the one with the most experience has been hit or miss, mostly miss.

stock block can take 400 whp, who was tuning you that caused the snapped rod?

my suggestion, after going over all the possibilities, and rebuilding my motor by myself

stock bearing clearances, no machine work, h-beam rods, forged pistons (stock bore), and open the ring gap up just past the oem max spec. Although you blew a rod, most problems are caused by small ring gap cracking ring lands

as well, dont run meth.
    Oh damn, that sucks. Oh well, I stopped reading the Speed section because according to certain people only speed owners are allowed to even look at that section.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to breakfasteatre For This Useful Post:

Thrizzl3 (04-23-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakfasteatre View Post
    there are no local shops with any success with our motors. the one with the most experience has been hit or miss, mostly miss.

stock block can take 400 whp, who was tuning you that caused the snapped rod?

my suggestion, after going over all the possibilities, and rebuilding my motor by myself

stock bearing clearances, no machine work, h-beam rods, forged pistons (stock bore), and open the ring gap up just past the oem max spec. Although you blew a rod, most problems are caused by small ring gap cracking ring lands

as well, dont run meth.
    Don't run meth? You're crazy the best thing you can do to a boosted motor is run meth...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kappa View Post
    Don't run meth? You're crazy the best thing you can do to a boosted motor is run meth...
    do you have a speed 3? Is your motor direct injected? Have you cracked a ring land? Have you been on mazdaspeedforums?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive been fine without meth, tuned to 300 whp for 2 years. one does not "need" meth. and people arent "crazy" if they dont run it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakfasteatre View Post
    do you have a speed 3? Is your motor direct injected? Have you cracked a ring land? Have you been on mazdaspeedforums?
    No I don't have a speed 3

Yes all the motor I have run meth on are direct injected
    No I have not crack a ring because I run meth
    Yes I have been on the mazda speed forums

I fail to see proof that running a system that allows the motor to burn colder and you to achieve the same power more reliability is a bad thing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tanspeed3 View Post
    ive been fine without meth, tuned to 300 whp for 2 years. one does not "need" meth. and people arent "crazy" if they dont run it.
    That's awesome 300 whp is great but we are talking about 100 more horsepower than you have. In a 2.3l 4 banger 100 is big jump.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not so much that meth doesnt help to keep things cool. but more so when an agressive tune is added to make more power than without meth. there arent many direct injected, boosted cars out there, and you say "all" so im guessing that is more than 1. there are 2 that i know of. 3 now, but this is the past we are talking. speed3 and cobalt ss/tc. are you thinking port injected? If you are thinking diesel, thats a whole other story
    No I don't have a speed 3

Yes all the motor I have run meth on are direct injected
    No I have not crack a ring because I run meth
    Yes I have been on the mazda speed forums

I fail to see proof that running a system that allows the motor to burn colder and you to achieve the same power more reliability is a bad thing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its not so much that meth doesnt help to keep things cool. but more so when an agressive tune is added to make more power than without meth. there arent many direct injected, boosted cars out there, and you say "all" so im guessing that is more than 1. there are 2 that i know of. 3 now, but this is the past we are talking. speed3 and cobalt ss/tc. are you thinking port injected? If you are thinking diesel, thats a whole other story
    http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...-buyers-guide/

I should have been more clear by stating that I do not own these but have installed and or played a part in installing and tuning with meth

Audi r8
    Mazda speed 6
    Isf
    Is250 and 350

Not all factory boosted cars but once you slap a big turbo on there and go try to build something that will stay alive meth was added.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinda jelly that you got to work on an r8 lol. but yah, all engines respond differently when adding meth. some love it, some disi's blow ring lands lol
    http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...-buyers-guide/

I should have been more clear by stating that I do not own these but have installed and or played a part in installing and tuning with meth

Audi r8
    Mazda speed 6
    Isf
    Is250 and 350

Not all factory boosted cars but once you slap a big turbo on there and go try to build something that will stay alive meth was added.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you gonna be on the dyno this saturday to confirm this 300whp?

@tanspeed3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ill be there. hoping i dont slip the clutch on the dyno. shooting for 300whp. but we shall see. not gonna talk to much shiz, as i dont know what the dyno will net. VD plots have had me consistently in the 310wheel range. we shall see.
    Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    you gonna be on the dyno this saturday to confirm this 300whp?

@tanspeed3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinda jelly that you got to work on an r8 lol. but yah, all engines respond differently when adding meth. some love it, some disi's blow ring lands lol
    i did more research into this as i never really bothered to understand the differences to adding meth into a DI motor. From that i understand that meth does not like high pressure so that being said you are right meth is not as good on DI. Now i called my friend and asked why he choose to add meth to his R8 and his reason was pretty simple.

our fuel in NB is terrible almost the worst in the country so meth served as a bandage for terrible fuel although he runs 100% none mixed.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Kappa For This Useful Post:

tanspeed3 (04-24-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A high percentage of speed motors with cracked ringlands, including my own, were running meth.

You now have two solvents being introduced into the combustion chamber. Speeds already have a problem with fuel dilution/shearing due to the direct injection
    two solvents, dissolving the oil film on the cylinder walls, tiny ring gaps, increased friction, friction produces heat which expands the rings, the ring ends butt up against each other, displacing each other up and down, cracking the ring land

building the motor, you can open up the ring gap, you can run better oil, meth is ok, heh

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to breakfasteatre For This Useful Post:

Fobio (04-24-2014),MajesticBlueNTO (04-24-2014),tanspeed3 (04-24-2014)

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify...you also have meth strategy when running meth...for example, when and where does it come on? Also, as I've alluded to in the low compression thread...if you get tuned for meth and then forget to top it up, then sure, you'll introduce a cause for overheating. So to clarify, meth itself doesn't cause overheating...improper implementation, lack of strategy and care COMBINED with meth is a dangerous combo.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:

BlueStreak (04-24-2014),breakfasteatre (04-24-2014),loki (04-24-2014),MajesticBlueNTO (04-24-2014),miako (04-24-2014),tanspeed3 (04-24-2014)

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To specify, and I may start a thread strictly for this...a deeper nuance is that a lot of ppl adopt the strategy that they'll use meth for cleaning + plus knock prevention. Therefore, they think that if the meth comes on at 5psi, then it'll be cleaning all the time. Well...not really...and Alex alludes to this...if your meth is running all the time, and cleaning the oil film from the combustion chamber, then you're doing it wrong.

Typically, I advise clients to set it to come on around 15psi of boost.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:

loki (04-24-2014),MajesticBlueNTO (04-24-2014),miako (04-24-2014),pwdunmore (04-24-2014),tanspeed3 (04-24-2014)