2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Warranty On A Used Car, No Service History

Hi guys,

So I've been to check out this one MZ3 3 times now, its a 2011 GX with 66,000 kms on it. Looks very clean with the exception that the transmission fluid is BLACK. Doesn't smell burnt and I've read that these cars are hard on the factory fluid so I think I'll be okay to get it and flush it out right away.

Now, this will be my first vehicle I"m looking to purchase that still has the 5 year power train warranty on it. Its sold by a Chrysler dealership and therefore doesn't have any service history with it.

I called Mazda corporate and inquired about the car and all I was told is that the warranty follows the vehicle as soon as I register it in my name, it was registered in May 2011 and the warranty is valid till May 2016.

Here is where I am a little skeptical: can Mazda refuse any warranty claims (if I have a problem with the car) because I don't have any maintenance history?

I have a friend who went through something like this with a Hyundai Accent in where the dealership was refusing to warranty his engine which was making a knocking sound 6 months after he bought it. He took care of it and had all the receipts for maintenance since he owned it, but I remember him saying that his warranty work was denied since he had no service history prior to his ownership.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Appreciate all the help in advance!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Warranty On A Used Car, No Service History

I've had no issues with the comprehensive I had on my car after I purchased it (second owner)....granted I've never had to use the drivetrain warranty, I would expect no difficulties as long as I could show I've maintained the vehicle for the period I have been in ownership.
    0.000212524463 gigawatts