Thread: 06' Mazda 3 GT - Sudden lost of power!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation 06' Mazda 3 GT - Sudden lost of power!

Hi all,

My 2006 Mazda 3 GT Sedan has been having some problems both serious and non-serious. My car is currently at 156km and is automatic.

1) My car suddenly shut itself off when I was braking to turn right on 2 occasions within 2 minutes. On the first occasion I came to a complete stop (medium braking) and when I was about turn right, I pressed on the gas and noticed my car was dead! I had to turn the ignition to the OFF position and put the transmission back into PARK, then the car started no problem and I continued on.

The second occasion was when I was turning right with no STOP sign. After I braked and completed my turn, my car suddenly lost power and shut itself off! (I had to turn the ignition to OFF and back into PARK and started the car with no problem).

What is the issue here? When the car shut itself off, the radio was working. After I came home, I took the car out again around the neighbourhood and I couldn't re-create the scenario again.

2) The car has been shaking while idling at stop signs and red lights. This has been an on-going issue since my car was at 90km.

Some advice would be appreciated. I imagine my car isn't very safe, if it shuts off automatically after making turns.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 06' Mazda 3 GT - Sudden lost of power!

The shaking issue can be a engine mount. As for the rest I don't know. Good luck on a solution
    IG: 2pointlow

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the battery disconnected recently? If so, the throttle body needs to be cleaned.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tongeno View Post
    Hi all,

My 2006 Mazda 3 GT Sedan has been having some problems both serious and non-serious. My car is currently at 156km and is automatic.

1) My car suddenly shut itself off when I was braking to turn right on 2 occasions within 2 minutes. On the first occasion I came to a complete stop (medium braking) and when I was about turn right, I pressed on the gas and noticed my car was dead! I had to turn the ignition to the OFF position and put the transmission back into PARK, then the car started no problem and I continued on.

The second occasion was when I was turning right with no STOP sign. After I braked and completed my turn, my car suddenly lost power and shut itself off! (I had to turn the ignition to OFF and back into PARK and started the car with no problem).

What is the issue here? When the car shut itself off, the radio was working. After I came home, I took the car out again around the neighbourhood and I couldn't re-create the scenario again.

2) The car has been shaking while idling at stop signs and red lights. This has been an on-going issue since my car was at 90km.

Some advice would be appreciated. I imagine my car isn't very safe, if it shuts off automatically after making turns.
    things with car now a days it could be anything.. mine does the same thing at idle, but only when im on the break it will have a little chug.. more like its working against itself.. i changed the plugs that solved the problem. if you have a service engine light on get it read asap you dont need your car shutting off in a bad spot.. was the car low on oil? was the car over heating? was it shifting hard? was it mis firing at all while driving? their has to be some other indication for it to shut off? could be a plugged fuel filter.. in reality could be a factor of many things... with 156xxx km probably a stock fuel filter.. and if you run it down to Empty all the time the filter will plug with dirt alot faster.

check your air intake make sure your filters are clean, check your throttle body make sure its clean " DONT PUSH IT OPEN With your fingers" its electronic and thats hard the the throttle body. keep me posted on all that info so i can help you better hard to diagnose a car with out being their.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    Was the battery disconnected recently? If so, the throttle body needs to be cleaned.
    what does disconnecting the battery have to do with dirtying a throttle body? never heard of that before lol

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by evildiesel View Post
    what does disconnecting the battery have to do with dirtying a throttle body? never heard of that before lol
    Our cars do not have the idle air control valve. Instead, the idle is controlled by the throttle body valve. As the TB plate progressively gets dirtier, the ECU programming compensates for it to maintain the proper idle RPM. If the battery is disconnected for whatever reason, all ECU parameters are reset to the original settings, including idle control.
    What ends up happening is that the throttle plate opening is too small, due to the accumulated dirt, so the car may experience low and rough idle or even stalling.

You can experience the reverse of the above when the TB is cleaned and the ECU not reset. The idle RPMwill end up being too high.