Thread: Friendly Autobody - not so friendly anymore

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Friendly Autobody - not so friendly anymore

On Friday June 27, 2014 i stopped by to speak to richard of friendly autobody to update him on the state of my oem side skirts which he installed in the summer of 2011 via an adhesive/epoxy process (his "professional opinion" was to avoid drilling as per the oem instructions and therefore avoid rust issues).

The passenger side has separated completely, for the 4th or 5th time, and was damaged beyond the point where it is actually cheaper for me to buy a new one from the dealer.

With regard to the drivers side, it has separated on 3 occasions, although with much less frequency and on the last incident i had a screw drilled in from the fender of the rear wheel well to keep it in place.

Since you cannot purchase them individually i had to purchase another pair for about $450. Add this to the $450 plus install i initially paid years ago, the future install of the new skirts, and the numerous trips i had to make to markham every time they would come loose (on each visit i was progressively met with less courtesy and more ambivalence). The lack of appreciation for my costs incurred or respect for my time is frustrating to say the least.

The culmination of this was the aforementioned friday. He did not apologize when i made him aware of the issues and his mistake in suggesting they be glued and he did not offer to resolve the matter in any form. Just a meek "thanks for letting me know". Now i am letting TM3 know (as well as those members that pm'd me). @S.F.W. @mathew.poulos @bestknightmare

Friendly Autobody
    https://www.friendlyautobody.co/
    7605 Woodbine Ave, Markham, ON L3R 5V3
    TEL : (905) 946-0990
    FAX: (905) 946-0993
    EMAIL: friendly.auto.body@gmail.com

passenger side

drivers side (screwed in from the fender as an emergency measure till i can get the new ones installed correctly)

old skirt and new ones...i have spent $1000+ on god damned side skirts
    Last edited by zzz3; 07-05-2014 at 01:41 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zzz3 For This Useful Post:

bestknightmare (07-05-2014),jswift79 (01-13-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Friendly Autobody - not so friendly anymore

aforementioned experience with richard at friendly autobody leading up to this incident
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...=1#post1048392

Quote Originally Posted by zzz3 View Post
    this is a precaution against "gluing" oem side skirts

i am bumping this thread to address some of the original concerns put forth by other members (most recently, dynames) with regards to "gluing" vs. "drilling" oem side skirts. after 2 years or so, i am of the opinion from personal experience, and that of other members, that it is best to have the oem side skirts attached by drilling them. i believe that although richard at friendly auto body's (7605 Woodbine Ave, Markham) recommendation of "gluing" is well intentioned, stemming from the fear of rust in the corrosion prone mazda3 paint, it is erroneous and subsequently does not hold up over time.

i have had to make 3 separate trips over the last year or so to friendly auto body from mississauga to have the passenger (right side) skirt reattached. the most recent adhesive (see picture below) seems to have resolved issues, but nonetheless it is a waste of time and money to continuously have it addressed. furthermore, richards attitude in each visit has progressively been less and less courteous, deteriorating to the point where it seems that i am inconveniencing him (and it is only him that can deal with the matter, as laoban - owner - will refuse warranty service).

i can understand mistakes and bad advice, but lack of good will, let alone compensation (whether it be a simple apology or even monetary) is something i cannot understand in my frustration (compounded by my numerous visits).

i cannot speak to the quality of friendly auto body's body repair and paint services (from reviews here it seems noteworthy), but in regards to installing side skirts and to an extent other aftermarket/oem accessories, i cannot recommend richard or friendly auto body given my experiences.

adhesive used from most recent trip in June 2012

the 3rd time the skirt came apart in may 2012, fixed in june 2012

the second time the side skirt came apart in march 2012, pink adhesive used - see may 2012

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to add an experience I had with Richard about one year ago. My car was rear-ended, and needed a new bumper, and according to the original estimate a new rear bumper brace. After dropping the car off for the adjuster to inspect, we made an appointment for me to bring the car in about two weeks later. That week happened to be the week leading to Easter, but Richard was confident he could finish the car in four days. I left the car with Richard and got into the rental.
    As we approached Thursday, my car was not yet ready for pickup, so I kept driving the rental.
    I received a call on the Tuesday that my car was ready for pickup. I picked up the car, first I noticed on the invoice he had not replaced the rear brace, but rather bent it back into place. He said the insurance company would not agree to a replacement. I was not pleased that this had not been communicated to me.

Then I found the rental company was billing me ~$200.00 for rental time that insurance was not covering(Fri-Monday). Richard said that I needed to call the insurance company, and they would cover the extra time.
    I called the insurance company, and they said no way they would cover the extra time. The job was four days, and Richard had not given them a heads up that he needed more time. They said Richard needed to call them, to discuss. I followed up with Richard, and he made no attempts to speak with my insurance company.
    He advised I should go back to my insurance company and push them again. In the end, he said if the insurance company would not cover the additional time, he would cover it out of pocket.
    I ended up not pursuing this, as I simply did not have time to continue to waste.
    Thus, I ended up paying for rental time because Richard took to long to complete the work.

Lesson learned, I am not using Richard to fix my car this time around, and have stopped referring business to him.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know guys.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zzz3 View Post
    On Friday June 27, 2014 i stopped by to speak to richard of friendly autobody to update him on the state of my oem side skirts which he installed in the summer of 2011 via an adhesive/epoxy process (his "professional opinion" was to avoid drilling as per the oem instructions and therefore avoid rust issues).

The passenger side has separated completely, for the 4th or 5th time, and was damaged beyond the point where it is actually cheaper for me to buy a new one from the dealer.

With regard to the drivers side, it has separated on 3 occasions, although with much less frequency and on the last incident i had a screw drilled in from the fender of the rear wheel well to keep it in place.

Since you cannot purchase them individually i had to purchase another pair for about $450. Add this to the $450 plus install i initially paid years ago, the future install of the new skirts, and the numerous trips i had to make to markham every time they would come loose (on each visit i was progressively met with less courtesy and more ambivalence). The lack of appreciation for my costs incurred or respect for my time is frustrating to say the least.

The culmination of this was the aforementioned friday. He did not apologize when i made him aware of the issues and his mistake in suggesting they be glued and he did not offer to resolve the matter in any form. Just a meek "thanks for letting me know". Now i am letting TM3 know (as well as those members that pm'd me). @S.F.W. @mathew.poulos @bestknightmare

Friendly Autobody
    https://www.friendlyautobody.co/
    7605 Woodbine Ave, Markham, ON L3R 5V3
    TEL : (905) 946-0990
    FAX: (905) 946-0993
    EMAIL: friendly.auto.body@gmail.com

passenger side

drivers side (screwed in from the fender as an emergency measure till i can get the new ones installed correctly)

old skirt and new ones...i have spent $1000+ on god damned side skirts
    Before I installed them, I did some research and ppl recommended that I dont use any glue on it. Mine is now held up by 2 screws in the front (where the small mud flaps used to be) and one in the rear fender, just like yours.

Thanks for the info.

2013 mazda3 gs with 2013 ms3 rims, eibach prokits, mz lip kit with chargespeed lip, 20% all around tint, tinted tail lights, HID6K headlights, side skirts, axela badge, cs sri, gv eye lids, rear spoiler, HID 6K fogs, speed3 exhaust, LED reflectors

Ride
    2017 Mercedes Benz C43
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never bring my car in to him for any body works but close to. Few months back, I called him and told him that I want an estimate, and since I live 50km away from his shop (they also close for wk-end), I asked if I can email him some photos for him to look at instead. He said sure and provided his email address which I sent him an email with photos afterward.

He never returned my emails and phone call after.

Great....one shop off my list!
    Last edited by SKYMP3; 07-15-2014 at 01:04 PM.
    1994 Mazda MX-6 Mystere - SOLD
    2001 Mazda Protege MP3 - SOLD
    2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 - SOLD

BYE MAZDA

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although this is an older thread bad service is bad service so thought I'd add my experience as well. I've posted about it before on the forums previously but basically I was referred to Richard after going to Jimmy's.

I had purchased OEM side skirts late 2012 possibly early 2013 from Mazda and did not know much about cars or anything car related for that matter so not knowing that jimmy did not do body work I went there anyhow. After Richard took a look at my car he made the recommendation that the sideskirts not be screwed in and that they would take care of it. The reasoning was due to rusting. Needless to say I had to follow up several times because they would not stay on. Every time I would go back and show them that there was a gap that was getting larger they said it was normal and just added more glue on. Like zzz3's experience every time I returned I was met with less courtesy than the last. A few times having to wait over an hour and a half while getting no updates on whether or not the job was being done yet or what.

Eventually I just gave up and left the skirts until the passenger side skirt was almost fully detached and so I used 3m double sided tape as a temporary solution before this winter began. It has held on extremely well actually for anyone interested.

This past fall as I was putting the double sided tape on I also noticed they had drilled a hole which doesn't seem to be used. But should be for the side skirt. They made no mention of it after the install.

To add insult to injury so to speak they did not return any of the mounting hardware or instructions from the install and when I called mazda to inquire with respect to getting replacement mounting hardware (screws and whatnot) it came out to about 70 dollars if I'm remembering correctly.

After all the mods I've had done so far, catback exhaust, intake, hella horns, vinyl, replacing the spoiler several times, this is honestly the one problem that never goes away and was the worst mistake thus far.

Richard Friendly Auto body is neither friendly nor competent in their work and definitely is not recommended.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the shop that has the two ratty looking and rusty restaurant chairs outside of their door? Personally, I'd never go to an autobody shop that is located in close proximity to mechanic shops (ie. right next door or in the same unit). Too much grease/dust in the air that will get into the work.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forcedregistration View Post
    Is this the shop that has the two ratty looking and rusty restaurant chairs outside of their door? Personally, I'd never go to an autobody shop that is located in close proximity to mechanic shops (ie. right next door or in the same unit). Too much grease/dust in the air that will get into the work.
    you think a body shop is clean? Body shop is more dirty then a mechanics shop
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.