Thread: Buyers remorse - 2006 mazda3 gt with rust

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buyers remorse - 2006 mazda3 gt with rust

Hi everyone, I am new to the community and mazda3's, and this is my first post! I am a first time car owner, first time used car buyer, and know absolutely nothing about cars - a recipe for disaster. I did enough research to lead me to a mazda3, but otherwise I have very little knowledge about cars and no connections to help me.

I recently purchased a 2006 mazda3 gt with 143,000km and 0 accidents (with carproof) from a private seller for 7,500$. It has a power windows/locks, leather interior, heated front seats, a/c, cruise control, moonroof, automatic wipers... All of which are working. The car appears to have been very well maintained, brakes recently serviced, oil changed regularly, he provided records of some minor repair work.

But of course, there is a small-moderate sized rust spot on the back wheel well, and a bit underneath the car (likely the exhaust, and a bit beside this on the bottom frame -> sorry, not a car expert ). I wish I had pictures to share, but alas yet another mistake. The rust on the back wheel well was about the size of a toonie. It had not rusted through (no holes), and the paint was not bubbling around it. As far as I could tell, these were the only spots. I purchased the car anyway, and put down a 500.00$ deposit (in writing) to hold the vehicle while it is being safetied and e-tested. I will pay the remaining 7,000$ on the condition that the car passes both and does not need any work.

But of course, after going home and reading/obsessing about rust, I learned quickly how rust kills cars and that I am likely in for a long battle with this.

The car was bought as my first car to help get me started in my life and career now that I have finished school. After reading about the rust, I am having major buyers remorse. I bought the car thinking I could replace what's needed on the exhaust, and just deal with having rust on the wheel well. Perhaps buff it out and treat it myself and learn a new skill. I looked at about 5 other mazda3's in my price range (6,000-7,500$), and this car appeared to be in the best condition of all. They ALL had rust (most were more major and more spread out), some had odd putting/clanking sounds, leaking fluid under the vehicle, body dents/scratches/cracks, interior rips/tears, 1 or more accident claims etc. For a used old car in my price range, I figured this is what I get. And living in Ontario after the winter we had, I figured if I wanted a Mazda3 then I had to accept that it would have rust.

I guess I am looking for opinions at this point, so that I can proceed before it's too late.
    1) Do I take a chance and hope this car will give me a few years?
    2) Do I drop my 500.00$ deposit and not get the car, taking this as an expensive lesson learned?

Thanks for the help!

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buyers remorse - 2006 mazda3 gt with rust

Well first off I would say 7500 for an 06 is way too much. I would say around maybe $5000-5500 with that mileage.

Second, the 04-06 3's are bad for rust. You will constantly be battling with it unless you learn to live with it.

Third, never put a down payment on a private sale. If the seller wants to sell it to you they will. You likely just covered the cost of getting the car safetied and etested.

Personally I would get my $500 back and keep looking. $7500 is too high IMO.
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

3. The Following User Says Thank You to staax For This Useful Post:

adavid46 (07-31-2014)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm thanks for the input. I agree I think I paid too much - I tried to negotiate but the seller wasn't interested. He came down from 8,000$.

He was willing to come down in price if I purchased the car without safety or e-test - but that was too much of a gamble for me.

I have not yet found a car that was sound for 5000-5500$ for a mazda3 with the mileage on this car. I looked at Downsview auto, who seems to sell similar vehicles for the prices you've mentioned. But after seeing some negative reviews and quite a few interesting forums on here, I chose to stay away.

But you're right, perhaps I have some thinking to do. If I do change my mind, I hope he would refund my 500.00$. That seems unlikely though. I thought putting down a deposit was common place, but perhaps I should be more critical in searching for a seller who would take me on my word. Lots to think about.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I will never put a deposit on a private sale. I nearly got screwed out $400 when the guy found out that wouldn't cover the cost of safety. Luckily the guy was a superintendent of an apartment building. I ended up calling the company that owned the building, told them the story and they pressured him to give the deposit back. He wrote me a NSF cheque because he didn't have the cash. When I found out the cheque was bad, I ended kicking his door and told him I wasn't leaving until he got the money. If you want any help with getting the money back, I'm more than willing to suggest some methods.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theburner9 View Post
    Agreed. I will never put a deposit on a private sale. I nearly got screwed out $400 when the guy found out that wouldn't cover the cost of safety. Luckily the guy was a superintendent of an apartment building. I ended up calling the company that owned the building, told them the story and they pressured him to give the deposit back. He wrote me a NSF cheque because he didn't have the cash. When I found out the cheque was bad, I ended kicking his door and told him I wasn't leaving until he got the money. If you want any help with getting the money back, I'm more than willing to suggest some methods.
    Glad you found a way to get the money back - smart to call the building. It's good you did your homework, but what a brutal thing to have to go through.

I have it in writing that he will return the money if the car does not come back with a passable safety and/or e-test, or if these are not provided within 1 week. Jesus - Lesson learned. No deposits on private sales. I wish I had known all this.

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should dig more online. 30 seconds on Kijiji and i found this
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...est/1005455987

less mileage then the one you saw, newer, cheaper, fenders look rust free, etest, and safety
    there's lots for sale in the GTA
    http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/g...00.00__7000.00

high price aside, if that was the only bit of rust, and it's as minor as you say, i personally would have lived with it. When i bought my 2004 back in 2010 it had similar rust. I had it fixed at a shop when they had to rehang my bumper (bought it from a friend and it had broken clips). 4 years, and a 130,000km later, it's just starting to bubble along the one sides rear fender edge. I'll probably fix it again myself when i have time.

You say you don't have car experience, but youtube is more than helpful and there's more than enough helpful posts and people on this forum.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post

less mileage then the one you saw, newer, cheaper, fenders look rust free, etest, and safety

high price aside, if that was the only bit of rust, and it's as minor as you say, i personally would have lived with it. When i bought my 2004 back in 2010 it had similar rust. I had it fixed at a shop when they had to rehang my bumper (bought it from a friend and it had broken clips). 4 years, and a 130,000km later, it's just starting to bubble along the one sides rear fender edge. I'll probably fix it again myself when i have time.

You say you don't have car experience, but youtube is more than helpful and there's more than enough helpful posts and people on this forum.
    Thanks for the suggestions - I can't drive manual and am not that interested in learning for the sake of purchasing a car at this point. Also, I was being particular about a hatchback, so perhaps I should have mentioned it as playing a role in my decision to purchase.

I did youtube and search online. I tried to do the best with what I had, and what I knew. The car appeared otherwise sound. The issues are the rust.
    I am still trying to decide if I should live with it. But as you say, digging online, many people and websites make it seem like the rust is going to be the death of this car. I am not sure if this is over exaggerated, and there is lots that says "rust is bad".

I went through your search a bit. As I said before, I've seen a few cars. For example, in your search I did go look at this one.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    -Cracks and more major rust surrounding the rear emblem
    -"Rattling" sound coming from under the trunk when driving, as reported by the salesman
    -Car clunks when it idles
    -Scratches and dents on the inside frame of the trunk with rust, and on the interior door frames
    -Rips in carpet floor.
    They want 7,000$ for the car with safety and e-test not including tax. The salesman told me he was unwilling to negotiate and that they would not fix the rust because it is used, and I should expect this. He would not let me test-drive the vehicle. He told me that the car would sell quickly if I was not interested, and that most people buy before the car has been safetied and repaired based on their good reputation.

Talk about tough sales. I'm getting discouraged. Other mazda3 hatchbacks in my price range have been rather similar.

Anyways, thanks for the input. It helps to have other thoughts. I should make the decision soon.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post

Thanks for the input,

Manual cars do tend to cost less. Unfortunately I don't drive manual, nor am I really available to learn right now for the purpose of purchasing a car. Perhaps later.

I did a peek through your search - I should have mentioned I am seeking specifically for a mazda3 hatchback. One of the selling features of this car to me is that it was a hatchback.
    As I mentioned, I've been looking at cars for a while and have seen a few. For example, this one came up in your search:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
    I found the following:
    -moderate rust and large cracks along the rear emblem
    -rust in the interior frame of trunk with many scratches, and inside the door frames
    -salesman informed me there is a rattling sound underneath the trunk when driving
    -car "clunks" when idling
    -Large rips in the floor carpeting in the back

They want 7000$ for this car. I was not allowed to test drive the vehicle. I was told that I should purchase on their good reputation, and that if I did not buy another would be along right after me to pay their sticker price. Price was firm with safety and e-test included, before taxes. He informed me that the rust and scratches would not be repaired, and that I should expect this for a used car.

Most of the other vehicles I have seen had similar issues, wanting similar prices. 2 claimed "no rust", and then on viewing there was of course rust and the owner claimed they did not know... It's frustrating.

Anyways, thanks for your input. I'll have to make the decision soon.

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kijiji is your friend. You should be able to find lots of cars especially Mazda 3's.

30 secs of browsing locally to me I found:

2006 Mz3
    142,000 kms
    Automatic
    Safety + etest
    Ad states no rust
    $4995 from a DEALER.

Which means u could probably get that same car for 4200-4500 in a private sale

Keep looking. And if ur budget is around there I would highly recommend getting a 2007 or 2008 since that's the price I see these years going for.

Good luck