Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new PCM

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need new PCM

Installed sri/tip a cpl weeks ago, car was running fine up until a threw an egr code(car was hesitating at 3000rpm)

Dealership replaced my egr valve under warranty but they discovered some how the tip was rubbing against the pcm and damaged a cpl wires, they fixed what they could, car drives fine now, but they said it's always going to throw the egr code until I get a new pcm ($1500 new.. Eww) anyways just wondering if buying a used pcm could be a possibility, and where might be the best place/site to find one?
    I have the car on stage 1 ots 91 sri/tip, should I release it to safe mode for the time being im afraid I might be damaging the engine
    Anyways if anyone has some insight on this it would be great,

Thanks!

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need new PCM

i'm assuming this is your post: http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...ptions-175551/ ?

if not, read that thread
    2011 MAZDASPEED3 Hypnotic Tuned - Rob
    CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Polish_Eagle For This Useful Post:

greyseason (08-18-2014)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful, make sure to get the right part number. From what I've noticed the gen 2s are much more part specific where the gen 1s were more part compliant friendly
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Ride
    1986 Audi Coupe GT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you guys are looking for part numbers PM me your Vin and exactly what your looking for, I work for Mazda in Parts and have access to all the programs.
    Aaron
    Resident Redneck
    2014 3 GT | Snowflake white pearl | Black with chrome finish Mazda rims | Tint | Black aero kit | Corksport Cat back exhaust | Corksport short ram intake
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/album.php?albumid=821
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...on-s-2014-3-GT

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20143GTowner For This Useful Post:

DaveIrwin24 (08-18-2014),Fobio (08-18-2014),SonicBoy (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would a regular 3 gen 2 pcm be compatible with a speed?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My dealership located a used one for $550 on the west coast

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres a wild thought.. wait a month. Put it back to stock and try another dealer for warranty. Someone near your work or home. If its not the one you went to before that is. Or if so.. and the next dealer asks. Just say the last ones service was no good and you had to keepngoing back and they couldnt figure it out. Boom potential warranty.pcm. cuz those things are cover for 8 years 128 000km best i recall

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Booter22 I believe you are referring to the catalytics. I've never heard of an extended warranty on the PCM's.
    also keep in mind, I work at a dealer and have on many occasions denied warranty because of obvious tampering or damage from the outside. At a dealer we know where things start to wear, seize and corrode and so on. Unless a mouse or rat has been under the hood, the natural damage has always stayed in the same spot. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but that's just my 2 cents @DaveIrwin24, NO a regular one will NOT work with your speed, completely different engines for starters and the injector wiring is completely different. DO NOT BUY A REGULAR ONE.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

DaveIrwin24 (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm a good idea, there's only 2 mazda dealerships in my city, could be worth a shot..
    Part of me wants to try it, at the same time I'm not sure because it sounds like used pcm are hard to get ahold of, and if I don't buy the one I was told about, and the other dealer says they won't cover the pcm I might be shit out of luck.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the dealer I took it too did tamper with some wires just to rig it up to work, so the other dealer might notice this and deny it under warranty

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to
    www.car-part.com
    type in your year and select mazda 3, select engine computer. You will have 2 options after you hit search according to part/vin number. I selected the first one as a test and found a used one in Quebec for 200$. Try to get your dealer to contact them. I have used that site for many of things. Even one from BC 125$ make sure your dealer isnt trying to make money off of you.

Last edited by McGuyver_3; 08-18-2014 at 08:53 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

DaveIrwin24 (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome man, thanks for the tip on the site! I'll make sure to let my dealer know about the search results on this site and see if they can call

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    @Booter22 I believe you are referring to the catalytics. I've never heard of an extended warranty on the PCM's.
    also keep in mind, I work at a dealer and have on many occasions denied warranty because of obvious tampering or damage from the outside. At a dealer we know where things start to wear, seize and corrode and so on. Unless a mouse or rat has been under the hood, the natural damage has always stayed in the same spot. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but that's just my 2 cents @DaveIrwin24, NO a regular one will NOT work with your speed, completely different engines for starters and the injector wiring is completely different. DO NOT BUY A REGULAR ONE.
    Not extended. Pretty sure it's covered under emissions systems. With the cat as well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well the only PCM that was available at standard auto wreckers was sold yesterday the part # is L3EC18881D. got a few ones available in the states but the ones i've called don't ship to Canada.
    Im going to Florida this weekend, there is a used pcm available in Tampa, my only concern is bringing it back to Canada, is there restrictions on bringing used car parts thru the border?

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all, I do it all the time lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok right on, theres 2 used ecu in tampa, i told the parts guy at my dealership about the used ones i found and he advised be its a bit of a gamble and if i purchased thru the dealership it would be better. Its worth a shot when I'm down in florida to check out the condition of them at least. $150 sounds a little more inviting then $550 lol

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wreckers will more then likely offer you an extended warranty at a small fee. It's not likely that the ECU will fail but it is not a bad idea to get a warranty on it if possible. Thats what i did with my motor on my sedan.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

DaveIrwin24 (08-19-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the link Polish_Eagle posted, they mention you have to get the new/used ecu reflashed for your keys and dash, etc. Is that the same case for 1st gen regular 3's as well? @McGuyver_3 I know you have done extensive work with the 1st gen 3's, could you weigh in on this as well?
    Does reflashing an ecu for a new set of keys/cluster also affect any tune/map that has been applied to the ecu (ie resetting the entire ecu to stock settings)?
    Also, is there a way to do the flash without going to the dealer? Could regular tuning/flashing software (ie the one @Orangevirus uses) do it?
    Warning!!!
    A STAGE#5 POST WHORE IN TRAINING...

2004 GT Arctic White :: Manual 2.3 ::
    SRI | HID | Moustache

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by n00bMeiSter View Post
    In the link Polish_Eagle posted, they mention you have to get the new/used ecu reflashed for your keys and dash, etc. Is that the same case for 1st gen regular 3's as well? @McGuyver_3 I know you have done extensive work with the 1st gen 3's, could you weigh in on this as well?
    Does reflashing an ecu for a new set of keys/cluster also affect any tune/map that has been applied to the ecu (ie resetting the entire ecu to stock settings)?
    Also, is there a way to do the flash without going to the dealer? Could regular tuning/flashing software (ie the one @Orangevirus uses) do it?
    I'm not to sure on this. If you get a new ECU then whatever tune you have will be gone, granted it is not a speed 3 with AP. If you just want to put a new cluster in it for example, or program new keys, I am going to go out on a limb here and say, you should probably be ok. Because all you are doing is a security key alignment, or in other terms a paramater reset. Talk to @Reddie1337 he may be able to help you out some more as he deals with this sort of thing on a more regular basis. You are not updating the ECU with new software(atleast to my knowledge), hence I believe you should be ok

EDIT: Unless, if you replace the ECU they are able to extract the info from the old one. Not sure how far along mazda is in this case. Then again my dealer only puts in new ones and they are factory back order as they are coded to the cars, but some minor things like mileage, security codes and injector specifications can be extracted

EDIT 2:If you do have a tune, I would recomend calling your tuner and ask if they will do a reflash free of charge. I know of 1 particular company that does reflash them free of charge if a dealer programming update was done. Some other tuning companies charge a small 20-40$ fee.
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 08-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The security portion of the ECU for the keys and such I believe is held in a different area of the ECU, can't be tuned by the ROM image.

What you can do is completely hack / chop up the security and check sums of the beginning portion of the hex.

BUT, that means the car will start for any key lol

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with switching computers, any piece, BCM, PCM, you will at least need a parameter reset. That pairs all the computers together. So as long as it's the same computer part number it should just need the reset.

Any other security questions feel free to ask.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, thanks guys

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got a hold of a place in Florida that has the same part # ecu I'm looking for, he says it's out of a speed 6..would that be compatible with my ms3?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need new PCM

Same part number makes me say yes. Speed6 AWD makes me say no. Unless transmission has it's own computer. Only one I've seen with that is the 2.5L 5 speed auto.
    Last edited by Reddie1337; 08-21-2014 at 05:01 PM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

DaveIrwin24 (08-21-2014),Fobio (08-21-2014)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AWD SHOULD have its own control unit

Maybe she'd some light @Booter22

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast