Thread: winter steelies

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default winter steelies

where can I get steelies to fit my Sport GT and how much do they cost? and are there any silver \"styled\" steelies (black steelies with hubcaps are really ugly IMO) that will fit? from my understanding the smallest wheel that will fit on the GT is 16\'

also...what\'s a good winter tire?

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Replying to Topic \'winter steelies\'

Originally posted by autoexe

where can I get steelies to fit my Sport GT and how much do they cost? and are there any silver \"styled\" steelies (black steelies with hubcaps are really ugly IMO) that will fit? from my understanding the smallest wheel that will fit on the GT is 16\'

also...what\'s a good winter tire?
    some tire shops will have the RAV4/Highlander 16\" steelie that\'s silver \"5-spoke\" styled. these will fit the 3\'s bolt pattern.

anything Nokian is good (www.nokiantire.com). These will last well past 5-6 years.

Toyo has some good winter tires. Yokohama as well. Bridgestone Blizzaks are good for 1 or 2 winters since they wear FAST on dry roads (which is pretty much how toronto winters are).

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was browsing through one of the Wal-Marts some time ago, and they had an updated steel wheel book. They had 3 different part numbers for steel wheels for the Mazda 3, I can remember 15x5 and 15x6, and I am not sure of the third. I am looking at a set of winter wheels, and I think the factory Mazda rim is 15x5, so that’s what I will get. I have a set of tires from my last car, 185/65/15, but the Mazda factory size is 195/65/15, and I am 99% sure they will still work (trying to save some money).

To answer your questions, Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart sell steel rims; I am guessing you will have to order them. I didn’t check the prices, but I would say around $65 each. I have only seen black rims, but maybe you can buy some hubcaps, which cover the whole wheel? I am not sure if the Mazda hubcaps would fit on an aftermarket rim. I suggest not leaving the bolts exposed to the road salt, and get some wheel covers. Any winter tire that has the snowflake symbol is better than any all-season tire. It’s hard to say what tires are the best, as every year, they put out new designs. A few years ago, I bought a pair from Wal-Mart (a guy at work had the same, and drove all year round for 3 years, and there wasn’t much wear), then the following year, bought a pair from Canadian Tire, both were the cheapest, and were good in my opinion. There are some very expensive winter tires out there, it’s just a mater how much you can afford, and how much winter driving you will do. I don’t know how the Mazda will handle in the snow, but if I can make the wheels spin on wet payment, then it’s a good bet that it will perform poorly in the snow.
    2004 Mazda 3 GX
    1995 Saturn SL2
    1986 Mustang GT
    1983 Pontiac Grand Prix
    1981 VW Rabbit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 sets of winters, 1 Nokian and other is Dunlop for my family BMWs, both are good, about the same price, and same performance. Nokian has a aggressive tread, so a bit noisy when drive, but slow down quite quick only release the gas. Didn\'t try others, but some say BridgeStone good too.
    From Mazda 3 to Honda Fit to none!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder:

If you have a Mazda3 equipped with the 2.3 L engine, you MUST have 16+\" steelies, because of our brake size.

Mazda3 SOLD. Bye Bye XeBa

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by billyfo

I have 2 sets of winters, 1 Nokian and other is Dunlop for my family BMWs, both are good, about the same price, and same performance. Nokian has a aggressive tread, so a bit noisy when drive, but slow down quite quick only release the gas. Didn\'t try others, but some say BridgeStone good too.
    What type of Nokians? Hakkapellittas (sp?)

How do they last?
    Dinu [ Eastside -> Finch/Morningside ]
    01 SILVER PROTEGE ES (AT, A/C, SPOILER)
    04 BLACK MAZDA3 GS (MT, A/C, PWR, SPORT,)
    Both cars are equipped with the WWF (Winter Wonderland Fun) Package: Toyo Observe G-02+

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moved to Wheels / Tires
    flickr

"boom goes the dynamite"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by dinu01

Originally posted by billyfo

What type of Nokians? Hakkapellittas (sp?)

How do they last?
    yes, it\'s Hakkapellittas 1, I used for 4 yrs and the tread still in good condition.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drive quite a lot (about 100km/day) so I think winter tires + steelies will be a worthwhile investment.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I\'d be interested in winter tires and steelies too!

Please Keep me posted on any progress with a group buy
    -=Frost=- ..Pickering..
    04 Sport GT.TitaniumGray.Moonroof.5speed.35%.Tint
    Winterized.Hankook W300 Icebears

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All,
    I have been studying the Mazda 3 for some time now and have pretty much decided to purchace in October. I am a little concerned about the 17\" wheels on the GFX model and winter driving here in Ontario. It appears from this discussion that 16\" rims and winter tires would work on the GFX? (would this affect the odometer and speedometer readings?) Has anyone driven this car through the winter with the \"stock\" 17\" tires and what was your impression?
    This has been a great forum to help me decide on purchasing the Mazda 3. Thanks for everyone\'s input!
    kroache

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed the next topic (Steelie Rims) has more info about my question on winter tires.
    Thanks
    kroache

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kroache

Hi All,
    I have been studying the Mazda 3 for some time now and have pretty much decided to purchace in October. I am a little concerned about the 17\" wheels on the GFX model and winter driving here in Ontario. It appears from this discussion that 16\" rims and winter tires would work on the GFX? (would this affect the odometer and speedometer readings?) Has anyone driven this car through the winter with the \"stock\" 17\" tires and what was your impression?
    This has been a great forum to help me decide on purchasing the Mazda 3. Thanks for everyone\'s input!
    kroache
    I don\'t think you can mount 16\" rims on the GT due to the larger diameter brake rotors used on the GT model.

I picked up my car in early February and from what I recall it didn\'t snow that much it just remained cold. The new Goodyear RSAs were easy to spin (from a dead stop) in the cold, dry weather and I could only imagine how much poorer they\'d perform had there been any sort of snow accumulation on the ground.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by bluntman

I don\'t think you can mount 16\" rims on the GT due to the larger diameter brake rotors used on the GT model.

I picked up my car in early February and from what I recall it didn\'t snow that much it just remained cold. The new Goodyear RSAs were easy to spin (from a dead stop) in the cold, dry weather and I could only imagine how much poorer they\'d perform had there been any sort of snow accumulation on the ground.
    Sure you can... GT without GFX comes with 16\" rims. Therefore 16\" Steelies shouldn\'t be a problem.