Thread: Finally picked up my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally picked up my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT

So after closing the deal on my new Mazda 3 GT hatchback in late August, I finally picked it up a couple weeks ago. Soul Red Mica with luxury package (no tech), black leather interior. As fate would have it, two days after picking it up, some idiot scraped the front right bumper while the car was in a parking lot. Left a bunch of white scuffs and scrapes and one big dent. The only thing he/she didn't leave was their contact information, so it's all out of pocket. Gotta love Toronto drivers.

Anyway, $680 later it's fixed and looks like new again. Now I just have to sell my current car...

As for the new car, I'm planning on getting it Krowned. I'm planning on getting it done at the same time each year, and I hear that the spring may be the best time to get it done. Would there be any real benefit to waiting until the spring, or should I just get it done now?

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally picked up my 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Congrats on the new ride!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone! Any advice on the Krown question? My gut instinct is that I should just get it done now, even if it may be slightly more effective in the spring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox444 View Post
    Thanks everyone! Any advice on the Krown question? My gut instinct is that I should just get it done now, even if it may be slightly more effective in the spring.
    Get it done ASAP! ...That is the best method.

I picked up my 3 in June, had it sprayed the same day. I knew through research spring was the best time, so I had it sprayed again the next March and in March ever since. Nine and a half years later no rust whatsoever.

Congrats on your purchase.

Red with black leather int is an awesome combo....Lets see some pics!

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 10-06-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Get it done ASAP! ...That is the best method.

I picked up my 3 in June, had it sprayed the same day. I knew through research spring was the best time, so I had it sprayed again the next March and in March ever since. Nine and a half years later no rust whatsoever.

_3
    Not a bad idea for the added cost (i.e. ~$60).

Now I've got to figure out what to do for winter tires. I was planning on using the winter rims from my current car, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to sell it before the snow hits so I may need to keep them for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, hit and run in parking lots seems to be the norm now.

Your profile mentions a 2006 RX-8. The wheels should fit your new 2014 however the tire size might be different as the 3rd Gen's use a different size.

Post some pics. Welcome to TM3.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

congrats!

Feel bad for you about the scrapes - it's the worst!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Congrats! Got mine in August. I didn't get any packages but I went the following day to get the full package! lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome.

salt is the enemy. get your car sprayed now before winter.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

Sponsor - Elevated Car Care
    Ride
    Detaling Van
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the Forum. Contact me to have your paint protected with a paint coating. Paint coatings are up to 100 times thicker than, better resist bird dropping and tree sap. They also allow you to be lazy not clean the car as often(car stay cleaner, longer) and makes the car easier to clean. Large particles of dirt just run off.
    Get Detailed. 50 Doncaster Ave., Unit #9, Thornhill, ON. www.getdetailed.ca 6478870132
    Car Cleaning & Detailing.
    Ceramic Pro Certified.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hamza7 For This Useful Post:

RTEnthusiast (11-04-2014)

Ride
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome!
    DAI | XXR | NANKANG | DOMINANT ENGINERING | KW | BRIDE
    KAPTION | JVC | OPTIMA | INJEN | TRI POINT | NRG | AVENUE

STRIPPING TECHNOLOGIES | EXCLUSIVE WHEEL AND TIRE | KAPTION

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad idea for the added cost (i.e. ~$60).

Now I've got to figure out what to do for winter tires. I was planning on using the winter rims from my current car, but I don't know if I'm going to be able to sell it before the snow hits so I may need to keep them for it.
    It's well worth the extra cost. -Krown has stipulations if you want to get and maintain the "New Car Warranty" coverage. Car has to be sprayed within so many months of the purchase date and each successive application must be done within a specific period also, (within 12 months I believe). So in my case to follow the guidelines and have it so my car got sprayed in spring, that was my option. Two applications within the first year is not a bad idea for a new car, as your sure to cover all areas properly...It seemed to work in my case anyways.

Are you going to drive the old car in winter? If not, just use the winters off it... If someone comes by and wants to purchase/test drive the car sometime in winter, plan it on a day the roads are clear and relatively dry...Or start searching online for used snows...my 2cents.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, glad to see a new member with the soul red (that color is awesome) "salt is the enemy" this is absolutely true so don't wait to get rust proofed, post some pics soon.
    Last edited by $lickology; 10-08-2014 at 11:09 AM.
    [URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/Slick09GT3/media/slickology1_zps0cbaee33.jpg.html]
    Varrstoen ES2, PIAA, K&N, H&R, Corksport, Kodostyle

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    Your profile mentions a 2006 RX-8. The wheels should fit your new 2014 however the tire size might be different as the 3rd Gen's use a different size.
    The winter wheels on my RX-8 are aftermarket. IIRC, the rims are an inch smaller in diameter than my summer (OEM) wheels, but the tires have a thicker sidewall to make up the difference. I spoke to the people at the place where I store my tires, and they indicated that the rims should work on the 2014 Mazda 3, but I would need to get new winter tires with a narrower sidewall.

Are you going to drive the old car in winter? If not, just use the winters off it... If someone comes by and wants to purchase/test drive the car sometime in winter, plan it on a day the roads are clear and relatively dry...Or start searching online for used snows...my 2cents.
    The summer wheels on my RX-8 have summer (not all-season) tires. Given that the RX-8 is RWD, it quickly becomes undrivable if there is any amount of slush or snow on the road (it happened to me once and it wasn't a good situation). If I had space to park two cars permanently, I'd be happy to wait out the winter, but I don't. I've got my other car parked on a nearby street with temporary parking passes ($22/week) to avoid overnight ticketing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by $lickology View Post
    Welcome, glad to see a new member with the soul red (that color is awesome) "salt is the enemy" this is absolutely true so don't wait to get rust proofed, post some pics soon.
    I got the car Krowned this past weekend. I asked the guy if it would be a good idea to come back for a second spraying in the spring and expected him to say "yes" since it would be more business for him. However, he said that wasn't really neccesary as the product should provide protection for the full 12 months. He did try to sell me on getting their "anti-salt" treatment in the spring, which seems a little silly to me; wouldn't a good wash accomplish the exact same thing?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the car Krowned this past weekend. I asked the guy if it would be a good idea to come back for a second spraying in the spring and expected him to say "yes" since it would be more business for him. However, he said that wasn't really neccesary as the product should provide protection for the full 12 months. He did try to sell me on getting their "anti-salt" treatment in the spring, which seems a little silly to me; wouldn't a good wash accomplish the exact same thing?
    The whole point of getting a second application AGAIN in the spring, was to be able to have the application done in the 'springtime' in subsequent years, ...(Which consequently is the best time of year to have the application done). I don't see how he would make more money, as your only bringing the car in only once, each calendar year.

Although, most car washes or spray washes will not spray underneath the car, or spray well enough to get into the crevasses, nor are formulated to break-up rust encrustations, it would be a waste of money, IF you have the oil spray applied in the spring.

...think about it.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 10-20-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole point of getting a second application AGAIN in the spring, was to be able to have the application done in the 'springtime' in subsequent years, ...(Which consequently is the best time of year to have the application done). I don't see how he would make more money, as your only bringing the car in only once, each calendar year.
    He would be making an extra $120 because the car would be in twice over the span of 6 months, instead of twice over the span of 12 months. After the first two sprays, it would be the same expenditure going forward.

On a separate note, the guy said that it was okay to get an underbody spray on a car that had been Krowned, as long as 3+ days had passed since the application.

I also found that the dripping wasn't nearly as bad as some people indicated. I parked the car on the street for a day and a half after getting it done, and although there were clearly drips, it wasn't huge puddles or anything like that. I probably would have been okay parking in my garage, although perhaps it's less of an issue for me since my garage floor is already pretty dirty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He would be making an extra $120 because the car would be in twice over the span of 6 months, instead of twice over the span of 12 months. After the first two sprays, it would be the same expenditure going forward.

On a separate note, the guy said that it was okay to get an underbody spray on a car that had been Krowned, as long as 3+ days had passed since the application.

I also found that the dripping wasn't nearly as bad as some people indicated. I parked the car on the street for a day and a half after getting it done, and although there were clearly drips, it wasn't huge puddles or anything like that. I probably would have been okay parking in my garage, although perhaps it's less of an issue for me since my garage floor is already pretty dirty.

I think you may want to rethink the whole "making extra money" bit...Whether you get it done in the spring or wait until next Oct, you are still only purchasing one application per calendar year. Only difference is your doing the second app sooner then required and he's getting the second app money sooner. You are just changing the time of year for the application.

Secondly, my point on spray washes was that they do not clean properly and will not get into all the crevices well enough to rid the chassis of accumulated 'hardened salt'. Mind you I have never had the 'anti-salt' application done and have had no issues, probably due to my first application being done before the car ever saw salt.

Finally, the amount of dripping 'directly' after a spray is relative to the ambient temperatures, the warmer it is the more dripping. With colder/cooler temps the formula tends to run less, hence less dripping. But expect a little bit of runoff for several months in anycase.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you may want to rethink the whole "making extra money" bit...Whether you get it done in the spring or wait until next Oct, you are still only purchasing one application per calendar year. Only difference is your doing the second app sooner then required and he's getting the second app money sooner. You are just changing the time of year for the application.
    The difference is that if I own the car for 4.5 years, I will have paid for 5 sprays instead of 4, if I own it for 7.5 years I will have paid for 8 instead of 7. But I'm not disputing that there is an argument to get it done in the spring. My point was really that I was happy to see that the Krown guy didn't say it was a good idea, as it would have been very easy for him to do so.

Secondly, my point on spray washes was that they do not clean properly and will not get into all the crevices well enough to rid the chassis of accumulated 'hardened salt'. Mind you I have never had the 'anti-salt' application done and have had no issues, probably due to my first application being done before the car ever saw salt.
    My comment about the underbody spray was directed more at some of comments elsewhere on the forums, which suggested that getting an underbody spray wash on a Krowned car wasn't a good idea since it would spray away the oil. The guy said that you shouldn't get an underbody spray wash for the first 72 hours after application, but after that it should be fine.

Finally, the amount of dripping 'directly' after a spray is relative to the ambient temperatures, the warmer it is the more dripping. With colder/cooler temps the formula tends to run less, hence less dripping. But expect a little bit of runoff for several months in anycase.
    Good point. The weather when I got it done wasn't exactly hot (although warmer than it is right now).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel sorry hearing that buddy, try to put a camera next time(even not working) at least it makes them think twice before doing some stupid things.
    2008 mazda3gt sedan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssolidd View Post
    I feel sorry hearing that buddy, try to put a camera next time(even not working) at least it makes them think twice before doing some stupid things.
    Hopefully that's the first and last issue of having to pay for some other bad driver. If I have to pay for driver stupidity, it better be my own, not some other idiot.

Half the time, I think that bad drivers don't even know when they've damaged a car. They're just kind of oblivious (which is the problem).