Thread: Cruise control for GX

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cruise control for GX

Im about to purchase a 2011 gx with nothing in it as well. I'd like to get bluetooth and volume controls installed as well, cruise control i don't really use. can anyone help me out please?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bluetooth is not an easy connection. It would require another module, and possibly wiring. I have never tried to add it into a car that didn't already have bluetooth. You will have volume controls, and cruise control can work, but you have to have cruise control "turned on" by a dealer.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone done this with a 2014-2018 ?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering if anyone can reccomend a dealership close to Markham that would do the programming. I'm willing to go anywhere within about an hour to get it done. I spoke to a guy at Gyro about my 2012 gx sport, he wanted to sell me a kit for cruise for $500 said the brake switch needs changing and the wiring might be different... I got a wheel for a 2010 mazdaspeed 3 complete with the buttons for volume and cruise (I assumed the parts and wiring are all the same. I took the existing wheel apart and the airbag does not have the connection for the horn only 2 wires going to the harness. I'm pretty sure I can get the connector from a scrap yard to fit the airbag to the harness. Anyway, I'm really hoping I can find a dealer willing to do the programming.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjgreen View Post
    Wondering if anyone can reccomend a dealership close to Markham that would do the programming. I'm willing to go anywhere within about an hour to get it done. I spoke to a guy at Gyro about my 2012 gx sport, he wanted to sell me a kit for cruise for $500 said the brake switch needs changing and the wiring might be different... I got a wheel for a 2010 mazdaspeed 3 complete with the buttons for volume and cruise (I assumed the parts and wiring are all the same. I took the existing wheel apart and the airbag does not have the connection for the horn only 2 wires going to the harness. I'm pretty sure I can get the connector from a scrap yard to fit the airbag to the harness. Anyway, I'm really hoping I can find a dealer willing to do the programming.
    Hello,

The brake switch does not have to be changed on a 2012, just the wheel and the cruise control needs to be turned on by someone who has a VCM (either dealer, or someone who has purchased one)

As for the wiring for the airbag (horn) It is a separate little wire that does the connection. You can solder the connections that are on your old air bag plug (The white connector plugged into the clockspring) To the new harness if you'd rather not hunt for the little connection wiring.

I've done quite a few of these swaps. The first gen mazda 3 gets cruise control just from installing the buttons on the steering wheel, and installing the different brake pedal switch. The second gen doesn't need the brake switch changed, but Cruise needs to be enabled in the BCM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

Bjgreen (07-14-2019)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for getting back to me with that info. Apparently that dealership didn't want my money. Any recommendations on someone who can do the programming?

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Budds' did mine, can't remember exactly how much they charged though.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the dealer probably wanted to sell you the kit because they make more money that way. The dealer does sell a kit, and we did purchase and install that for a few customers before I figured out what was actually needed for the install. Some dealers with charge half hour, some charge an hour. I can recommend Kieswetter to you, they are in Kitchener, they are my go to dealer around me in Cambridge.

Budds can also do it as Mazda explained, I have only used them a couple times because they are the closest dealer to where I live. The service advisers you are talking to, may have never come across someone wanting to have cruise turned on, but if you were to ask a tech directly, they would probably know the VCM software well enough that they would be able to turn that option on.

While you're getting it programmed you might as well ask them to turn on smart signals for you as well.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I probably shouldn't assume that they know that the option is available. Thanks for that. I have read a couple of posts mentioning Markham Mazda and Yorkville as well. I need to bring it into Gyro for a complimentary oil change soon , maybe I'll speak to the tech there as well.

Also, I have completed changing the original steering wheel to a 2010 mazdaspeed3 wheel. I also swapped out the display for a dual display and I was under the impression it was plug and play. The display to the right says hello and goodbye, but nothing else appears during driving except a white line through the middle. Anyone know why that might be? I read that pulling the Room fuse in the engine compartment might fix it, but it didn't. Is there something I'm missing?

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have an aftermarket radio? If so, it won't normally have anything on it while driving. The lower line is there for dual auto climate control, if you do not have dual climate control, that lower half of the screen will not do anything for you.

What did you do for the horn wiring? Did you change the pins, or did you solder it?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove out to parts 4 less in Oshawa and checked a bunch of gen 2 mazda 3s. I actually ended up pulling a clip off a 2012 Mazda 2. The connector clip is the same except the black wire connector is wider. I just pinched it tight with needle nosed pliers. It connects the same way to the back of the airbag frame.

Also, I have an OEM radio for now. I'm going to put in an aftermarket soon. Just a bit of a pain not knowing what station I'm listening to. It doesn't have the auto climate control, but I did notice them on the screen and figured they won't light up. I just was hoping to see the station.

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bjgreen View Post
    I drove out to parts 4 less in Oshawa and checked a bunch of gen 2 mazda 3s. I actually ended up pulling a clip off a 2012 Mazda 2. The connector clip is the same except the black wire connector is wider. I just pinched it tight with needle nosed pliers. It connects the same way to the back of the airbag frame.

Also, I have an OEM radio for now. I'm going to put in an aftermarket soon. Just a bit of a pain not knowing what station I'm listening to. It doesn't have the auto climate control, but I did notice them on the screen and figured they won't light up. I just was hoping to see the station.
    I have not seen an OEM radio not show up on the top screen. Update if you find a solution.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news! My rear strut mount broke, so I had a reason to bring my car to the dealership lol! I drove it over to Markham Mazda and the tech agreed over the phone to turn on the cruise. They got me for an hour of service, but I'll happily pay to have the cruise turned on.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's done! I haven't updated, but I have cruise control now. Still trying to figure out the radio situation though. I've tried pulling the radio fuse and noticed that there is another in the interior fuse box that was empty that says radio 2. Anyone know what that fuse space is for?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12