Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Group 24F Kirkland batteries back at Costco!!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Group 24F Kirkland batteries back at Costco!!

Anyone seen these at the Wilson or Warden Costco lately?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still running my 24F without a hitch after 3 years!

Was in a new Costco this evening and noticed that the 24F batteries are now $119.99. What really caught my eye however was new Kirkland AGM 24F batteries! Check it out below. Wondering if these new AGM batteries can be found at other locations as well. Only a $50 premium over the regular lead acid wet type

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its time for the wifey's as well. Does this work on Gen 2's?

EDIT: Looks like it does... Jimmy is booked... did any of you guys use baking soda water to clean the ends and grease?
    Last edited by Ogata; 11-03-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mechanic required to swap a battery?
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Mechanic required to swap a battery?
    He lost his 10mm socket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    He lost his 10mm socket
    I don't have a 10mm socket had to borrow

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: After about 3 years, my battery light suddenly turned on at a stop sign stereo was still on but fan was off. Restarted the car and all was well.

Brought it in to Jimmy and he found the battery at -16 might have issues starting. Thank goodness he is near a Costco was able to get it swapped out and now on one made this year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ogata; 01-25-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, could someone confirm what kind of battery would fit/ I should get for my 2014 Mazda3 GT sport?
    Thanks

Ride
    Audi Avant quattro 2.0T 6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Hello, could someone confirm what kind of battery would fit/ I should get for my 2014 Mazda3 GT sport?
    Thanks
    Group 24F or 124R should fit nicely. The 24F is slightly larger than the 124R but they both have the same 875 CA & 700 CCA. Another difference is that, the 24F raised vs 124R flushed cell caps

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    Thanks

Group 24F or 124R should fit nicely. The 24F is slightly larger than the 124R and it weighs more. They both have the same 875 CA & 700 CCA. Another difference is that, the 24F raised vs 124R flushed cell caps

7S POWER

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's mine OEM Exide installed

7S POWER

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not "OEM", unless it's a genuine part from Mazda
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 7S POWER View Post
    Group 24F or 124R should fit nicely. The 24F is slightly larger than the 124R and it weighs more. They both have the same 875 CA & 700 CCA. Another difference is that, the 24F raised vs 124R flushed cell caps

7S POWER
    using a group 124R is probably a bad idea... it's 11mm shorter than the group 24F, so the battery hold down bracket will likely not hold down the battery tightly... it's also slightly narrower, but not likely a issue for the battery tray...

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    using a group 124R is probably a bad idea... it's 11mm shorter than the group 24F, so the battery hold down bracket will likely not hold down the battery tightly... it's also slightly narrower, but not likely a issue for the battery tray...

Group 124R is lower and therefore lower the CG of the vehicle. This in theory should improve handling. I originally had wanted to go with the Gr. 124R, but HD didn't have one in stock. So, I went with the G24F for convenience. The Exide Gr. 124R is more powerful, 700 CCA 120 RC vs Gr. 24F 600 CCA 110 RC. To solve the problem of 11mm - 0.433"= 7/16"-0.4375" - gap when using Gr. 124R battery is, simply stick a 0.50" wide x xx" length x 0.50" thick or thicker black foam tape on the underside of the battery hold-down bracket.

7S ​POWER

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genuine Mazda batteries are OE. OEM batteries are Bosch, Exide, Panasonic, Moll etc. Aftermarket batteries are Kirkland, Everstart, Canadian Tire etc.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer
    Bosch, Exide, Interstate, etc. are NOT OEM
    Panasonic is an Original Equipment Supplier, which supplies to Mazda, the Original Equipment Manufacturer

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Group 124R is lower and therefore lower the CG of the vehicle. This in theory should improve handling. I originally had wanted to go with the Gr. 124R, but HD didn't have one in stock. So, I went with the G24F for convenience. The Exide Gr. 124R is more powerful, 700 CCA 120 RC vs Gr. 24F 600 CCA 110 RC. To solve the problem of 11mm - 0.433"= 7/16"-0.4375" - gap when using Gr. 124R battery is, simply stick a 0.50" wide x xx" length x 0.50" thick or thicker black foam tape on the underside of the battery hold-down bracket.

7S ​POWER
    "improve handling"?
    foam tape doesn't do anything to keep the battery clamp tight against the battery... ever squeezed foam before?

I want to smoke what you're smoking!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7S ​POWER

11mm drop in battery height (probably weight too) should improve handling , but would you notice it at all ?
    On that thought of dropping weight why not go with a Shorai Lithium battery ( 4.8 lbs) and cold cracks at 590, more than enough for 2.0L non sky
    https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126 .

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G ~ MINI View Post
    11mm drop in battery height (probably weight too) should improve handling , but would you notice it at all ?
    On that thought of dropping weight why not go with a Shorai Lithium battery ( 4.8 lbs) and cold cracks at 590, more than enough for 2.0L non sky
    https://shoraipower.com/lfx36a3-bs12-p126 .
    It's always better to have a lower CG than a high CG of a deadweight i.e battery. A horizontally stored spare tire has a lower CG than if it's stored vertically.

Having a Lithium car battery is way overkill. It would make more sense to have it in a race car because of the weight reduction.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"improve handling"?
    foam tape doesn't do anything to keep the battery clamp tight against the battery... ever squeezed foam before?

I want to smoke what you're smoking!
    In theory, lower CG improves handling.

There are different types of foam tape densities. Ever thought of foam tapes for P/U truck rear camper shell? One of those camper shells weighs at least 200 lbs. A Gr. 24F battery weighs roughly given take a quarter of that. So, using a medium to high-density foam tape will do the job.

Another method is to use a battery height adapter bracket from Gr. 34 battery. This plastic bracket is installed on the bottom of the battery to raise the height and close the gap.

If none of the above works, the threaded hold-down rod is long enough, so there shouldn't be a problem for the hold-down clamp bracket to drop 11 mm ~ 0.4375 ". If the hold-down rod thread portion isn't long enough then, grab a tap and rethread it.

Sorry, I don't smoke. As an Automotive Designer, I know one of the above methods work.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer
    Bosch, Exide, Interstate, etc. are NOT OEM
    Panasonic is an Original Equipment Supplier, which supplies to Mazda, the Original Equipment Manufacturer
    I work in the Automotive Design for 20+ yrs, and I do know what the OEM and OE stand for. ROFLOL
    Let us concentrate on the Electrical parts. AC Delco, Bosch, Denso, Exide, Hella, Hitachi, Koito, Moll, Panasonic are just to name a few, are the OEM Tier 1 companies that Design and Manufactured parts for Mazda OE - Original Equipment parts. For example, Koito - Headlights, Panasonic - Battery etc. Once the OEM parts are approved by Mazda Design Engineering, the parts become OE parts. Take a look at Mazda OE brake pads. It has both OE and OEM printed logos and P/Ns on them. The OE parts, not the OEM, are installed in the production cars. Also, OE parts only are sold at the Mazda dealers, not OEM. However, since OEM parts are Mazda approved, so OE <> OEM parts are interchangeable. So, you can replace Mazda OE parts with any OEM parts regardless of who the OEM Co. is. To put it simply, you can replace a Mazda OE battery made by Panasonic with Bosch, Denso, Exide, Hitachi etc.

Canadian Tire, Die Hard, Everstart, Interstate, Kirkland etc. are Aftermarket part Mfrs. None of those companies design and manufactured parts for Mazda. Their parts aren't approved by Mazda. Btw, I have seen a brand spanking new Mazda at the dealer with the OEM Hitachi battery in the engine bay. So, Panasonic is not the only Mazda's OEM Tier1 battery supplier.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exide is an OEM Tier1 Co. Exide might not be Mazda battery supplier, but it's an OEM Tier1 supplier to other car mfrs. OE<>OEM parts are interchangeable since OEM parts are OE Approved by the car mfrs.

I'd rather have OEM or OE parts in my car than Aftermarket parts.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's always better to have a lower CG than a high CG of a deadweight i.e battery. A horizontally stored spare tire has a lower CG than if it's stored vertically.

Having a Lithium car battery is way overkill. It would make more sense to have it in a race car because of the weight reduction.
    Correct on both.

TBH if you really going for a change in CG then slight changes in height and weight wont make much of a difference in CG. What are we really talking about is a 1-2 lb /11mm weight/height difference.
    If it were 200lbs then you feel that in handling / braking/ cornering. Lowering springs would help drop the CG but ideally you would have to do a 4 corner balancing to get that CG at the center point
    of the car and ultimately to that 50/50 front rear.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work in the Automotive Design for 20+ yrs, and I do know what the OEM and OE stand for. ROFLOL
    Let us concentrate on the Electrical parts. AC Delco, Bosch, Denso, Exide, Hella, Hitachi, Koito, Moll, Panasonic are just to name a few, are the OEM Tier 1 companies that Design and Manufactured parts for Mazda OE - Original Equipment parts. For example, Koito - Headlights, Panasonic - Battery etc. Once the OEM parts are approved by Mazda Design Engineering, the parts become OE parts. Take a look at Mazda OE brake pads. It has both OE and OEM printed logos and P/Ns on them. The OE parts, not the OEM, are installed in the production cars. Also, OE parts only are sold at the Mazda dealers, not OEM. However, since OEM parts are Mazda approved, so OE <> OEM parts are interchangeable. So, you can replace Mazda OE parts with any OEM parts regardless of who the OEM Co. is. To put it simply, you can replace a Mazda OE battery made by Panasonic with Bosch, Denso, Exide, Hitachi etc.

Canadian Tire, Die Hard, Everstart, Interstate, Kirkland etc. are Aftermarket part Mfrs. None of those companies design and manufactured parts for Mazda. Their parts aren't approved by Mazda. Btw, I have seen a brand spanking new Mazda at the dealer with the OEM Hitachi battery in the engine bay. So, Panasonic is not the only Mazda's OEM Tier1 battery supplier.
    ok genius, since you want to split hairs: Bosch, AC Delco, etc don't supply batteries to Mazda, so they're not OEM or "OE"... Interstate, Kirkland, etc don't make batteries either, they're just brands made by Johnson Controls... regardless, they're not an "OEM" brand, or what people in the repair industry call: "OES" (original equipment supplier)

if you buy an OES replacement part, then you can say "OEM", but sometimes it's not really the same, as they're slight differences in the specifications, due to contractual restrictions between the OES company and the OEM... so, even though Canadian Mazda dealers sells Mazda branded replacement batteries made by Exide, calling your Exide battery an "OEM" is stretching it, as there's likely grade/spec differences

but by your logic, to say you bought some crappy tire Moto Master part for your car, and calling it "OEM" is absurd... if you bought a Denso, however, it might or might not be true

bottom line is, if you bought a part elsewhere than the dealer, and it's a brand of part made by a company that doesn't supply Mazda (whether at the factory level or dealer level), or is a part made by one of Mazda's suppliers but is not the same (supplier or spec) as the part it replaced/sold by the dealer, it's AFTERMARKET... not OEM or "OE"

do you walk around in sneakers and call them "nike" but they're something else?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

G ~ MINI (10-16-2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, I need to replace my battery... Anyone know if Costco still has 24F batteries? Or can suggestion alternate source?
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast