Thread: TIRE SAFETY (UNDERSTANDING EXPIRATION DATES)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post TIRE SAFETY (UNDERSTANDING EXPIRATION DATES)

There are so many deals on tires out there on kijiji that are sometimes too good to be true. Its mainly the barely used tires that we are so often lured to buy to cut down costs on expensive set of four tires or winters:
    I just found out about this app that lets you know information about the tires : ie. how old it is, if its recalled and or when it will expire.

Apparently tires expires every 6 years which is something i just found out:

"Tire Safety Group has released an updated Tire Facts app for the iPhone and iPad. The update makes it even easier to detect expired and recalled tires. The app is faster and provides more content from Tire Safety Group, thanks to a re-design by New York-based DVMagic Studios. Defective tire attorney Matt Wetherington said, “If this app can save one family from the pain of serious injury or loss of life, we will meet our goal.”

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/check...st-got-easier/

The app can be downloaded via android and or iphone

The app works by inputting your DOT which can be found on the sidewalls of your tires

"The complete tire DOT code will be 10-12 letters and numbers and end in four numbers. The following letters are generally not used in tire DOT codes: G, I, O, Q, S, and Z. If you do not see the letters DOT or only see 4-6 letters and/or numbers, the complete tire DOT code is on the opposite side of the tire. If your full DOT code ends in only three numbers, the tire was manufactured prior to 2000 and must be replaced. Tires manufactured prior to 2000 will not produce a Tire Facts Report."

figure I'd share this bit of information for newbies like me who don't know how to buy tires or better yet not know how determine the age of the tire

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TIRE SAFETY (UNDERSTANDING EXPIRATION DATES)

Quote Originally Posted by 416GXM3 View Post
    figure I'd share this bit of information for newbies like me who don't know how to buy tires or better yet not know how determine the age of the tire
    Determining the age of a tire has been posted here, and all over the place, many many times.

Look for the DOT code. It is usually 4 digits. This will indicate the week, and year manufactured

Ex 2406 - 24th week of 2006.

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TIRE SAFETY (UNDERSTANDING EXPIRATION DATES)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Determining the age of a tire has been posted here, and all over the place, many many times.

Look for the DOT code. It is usually 4 digits. This will indicate the week, and year manufactured

Ex 2406 - 24th week of 2006.

-John
    My last 4 digits were 1011
    My tires were made feb 28 2011
    My Ride Thread!
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-2012-gs-l-sky

4300k hids Hi beams, Low beams, and 3000k Fog lights, Corksport SRI, Mazdaspeed exhaust with resonator delete, Mazdaspeed Ms-t 18' rims with Dunlop 215/45/R18, lowered on Canuck MotorSport lowering springs, Corksport Rear Sway Bar, LED switchbacks, Custom sub enclosure with 8' JBL subwoofer, Kenwood DNX500HD headunit, Ultimate T-series amp, Diode Dynamics LED Interior light kit, GT lip spoiler, Red Tinted Taillights.