Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mazda3 2004 2.0l Transmission Problem

Hey Guys,

I have a Mazda3 2004 with a 2.0l engine. Couple of months back while driving on the highway my car suddenly jerked and the check engine and AT light came on. After that it would start from 2nd gear and would just shift to the 3rd gear. I took it to the mechanic right away and he said there is an issue with the shift solenoid. He replaced the shift solenoid but the problem didn't get fixed. Then he was like there might be a wiring issue, and after keeping the car for 3 weeks he said he wasn't able to find any wiring issues. He then asked me to get the transmission rebuilt and I said okay. After rebuilding the transmission the car would start from the 2nd gear and would be fine shifting into the 3rd and 4th, but wouldn't start from the 1st gear. Now he was like there is an issue with the TCM. Since a new TCM was costing around $1200 I asked him to find me a used one. He did find one but once he installed that the car wouldn't start. Now he was like we need to take it to the Mazda dealership so that they could program the TCM. Mazda charged me around $350 to program the TCM and to make a second key since I didn't have it. The car was fine when it left the dealership but after only a couple of minutes the same problem came back and the mechanic was like there is probably an issue with the used TCM he bought. He tried using another one but the same problem came back. Now he is saying that I have to get a new TCM. It has been 2 months since he has had the car and I don't know what to do at this point. I would really appreciate if someone could please help me out.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda3 2004 2.0l Transmission Problem

Quote Originally Posted by apasha365 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have a Mazda3 2004 with a 2.0l engine. Couple of months back while driving on the highway my car suddenly jerked and the check engine and AT light came on. After that it would start from 2nd gear and would just shift to the 3rd gear. I took it to the mechanic right away and he said there is an issue with the shift solenoid. He replaced the shift solenoid but the problem didn't get fixed. Then he was like there might be a wiring issue, and after keeping the car for 3 weeks he said he wasn't able to find any wiring issues. He then asked me to get the transmission rebuilt and I said okay. After rebuilding the transmission the car would start from the 2nd gear and would be fine shifting into the 3rd and 4th, but wouldn't start from the 1st gear. Now he was like there is an issue with the TCM. Since a new TCM was costing around $1200 I asked him to find me a used one. He did find one but once he installed that the car wouldn't start. Now he was like we need to take it to the Mazda dealership so that they could program the TCM. Mazda charged me around $350 to program the TCM and to make a second key since I didn't have it. The car was fine when it left the dealership but after only a couple of minutes the same problem came back and the mechanic was like there is probably an issue with the used TCM he bought. He tried using another one but the same problem came back. Now he is saying that I have to get a new TCM. It has been 2 months since he has had the car and I don't know what to do at this point. I would really appreciate if someone could please help me out.
    It's obviously too late now, but you should've gone to a different mechanic the moment the problem wasn't fixed and he was just guessing and throwing parts at it. Such mechanics should be made responsible for wrong repair costs.

Take it to Mazda dealer and get them to diagnose the problem.

Then go to your mechanic and tell him to fix it based on Mazda's diagnosis, and at no charge to you. otherwise you'll be taking him to small claims court.

What I find unbelievable is that there are such mechanics who have no shame in sucking people dry for repairs that don't do squat, and another point, is that you keep going back to the guy. it's like an abusive relationship - the sooner you break away, the sooner you'll benefit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my AT light comes on form time to time as well...my car doesnt go from 3rd to 4th.
    let me know what happens. im thinking its time to trade my car in. not worth all the headaches you going trough.
    hope u get your problem fixed bud.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, when one starts to get tranny and major engine issues, it's time to ditch it and trade it in. That's why many indy tranny shops ask how long do you plan on keeping the car and charge you accordingly.
    Made in BC.