Thread: 2015 Mazda3 base GT Sedan or 2015 Scion FR-S?

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2015 Mazda3 base GT Sedan or 2015 Scion FR-S?

I'm looking to upgrade my '07 Mazda3 GT Sedan to either of these cars within the next year or two. Has anyone driven both of these cars? How would the 2.5L Mazda be compared to the 2.0 Boxer engine power-wise and back road handling? It seems both cars are close in purchase price and gas mileage and this would be a car I drive all year round. My main problem with the FR-S is I'm in Cornwall where there is no Scion dealership, so if I want the FR-S, I'd have to drive to Ottawa to buy the car and drive up there for maintenance (prefer to have service done by the dealer for a brand-new car) where as my local Mazda dealer is a 5 minute drive and I already know the people there and am happy with their service.

My Pros for the 2015 Mazda3 GT Sedan would be:

- better interior
    - more torque
    - Front-wheel drive but would handle winter driving better?
    - I like the LED DRL/HID headlights & LED tailights which a base FR-S would not have.
    - No frameless window issues to worry about in the Winter with ice and such.
    - Runs on regular fuel, not Octane 93.

FR-S Pros would be:

- More unique compared to a Mazda 3 as I already see a couple Gen 3's at work.
    - Rear wheel drive more fun?
    - Better handling?
    - smaller interior but I don't need the extra space at all.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2015 Mazda3 base GT Sedan or 2015 Scion FR-S?

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my '07 Mazda3 GT Sedan to either of these cars within the next year or two. Has anyone driven both of these cars? How would the 2.5L Mazda be compared to the 2.0 Boxer engine power-wise and back road handling? It seems both cars are close in purchase price and gas mileage and this would be a car I drive all year round. My main problem with the FR-S is I'm in Cornwall where there is no Scion dealership, so if I want the FR-S, I'd have to drive to Ottawa to buy the car and drive up there for maintenance (prefer to have service done by the dealer for a brand-new car) where as my local Mazda dealer is a 5 minute drive and I already know the people there and am happy with their service.

- better interior
    - more torque
    - I like the LED DRL/HID headlights & LED tailights which a base FR-S would not have.

FR-S Pros would be:

- Better handling?
    i have heard from a few people that i work with that have test drove the frs and say they were dissapointed with it power wise, they say it is just underpowered, but ive never driven one so i cant agree or disagree, but it is certainly a nice looking car, i might also suggest the subaru brz it is equal with the frs in power just has slightly different look that i personally like better, now i cant say much about the 2015 because i have driven one so i do not know much about it.
    My Ride Thread!
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-2012-gs-l-sky

4300k hids Hi beams, Low beams, and 3000k Fog lights, Corksport SRI, Mazdaspeed exhaust with resonator delete, Mazdaspeed Ms-t 18' rims with Dunlop 215/45/R18, lowered on Canuck MotorSport lowering springs, Corksport Rear Sway Bar, LED switchbacks, Custom sub enclosure with 8' JBL subwoofer, Kenwood DNX500HD headunit, Ultimate T-series amp, Diode Dynamics LED Interior light kit, GT lip spoiler, Red Tinted Taillights.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also considered the FR-S, well more specifically the BRZ, when I was purchasing my car. If I wanted a fun sports car I would have gone with the BRZ but after a lot of consideration I find the 3 a lot more practical. The FR-S is indeed under powered, even the Scion TC beats it in a drag race. I only looked at the BRZ as I liked the HID/LED lights on them over the FR-S. The BRZ takes premium and gas mileage is not great compared to the 3. I don't know about the FR-S but I would assume the engine is the same as the BRZ so I don't know if you've taken that into consideration.

To be honest I've seen a lot more FRS/BRZ on the streets more so than the 3's but is probably going to change soon. However, the twins are not uncommon by any means.
    Last edited by Cyclic; 11-10-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    2005 GT GFX Black Mica
    2015 GT Aerokit Snowflake White Pearl

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Personally I'd have the GT 3 unless I would be making the FR-S faster. Rode shotgun in my friends BR-Z and its definitely fun. I expected it to be quicker tho.

Test drive both

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    Personally I'd have the GT 3 unless I would be making the FR-S faster. Rode shotgun in my friends BR-Z and its definitely fun. I expected it to be quicker tho.

Test drive both
    I believe the I read something somewhere it was a 2015/2016 frs had a 2.0 turbo iirc

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Girds View Post
    I believe the I read something somewhere it was a 2015/2016 frs had a 2.0 turbo iirc
    Not turbocharged. The boxer definitely provides nice torque but it wasn't really fast.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My gf has/had a frs and I was completely disappointed in it. My car has more get up and go than it.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    Not turbocharged. The boxer definitely provides nice torque but it wasn't really fast.
    2016 frs plans to have turbo

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/to...s-models-2016/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Girds View Post
    The FRS won't get a turbo or convertible. Both were already shot down earlier this year.
    Interior Crocodile Aligator

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tozer For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (11-11-2014),Stathakos (11-11-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the new GTI or Focus ST? Though by time you may be ready to make a purchase, the next Mazdaspeed3 might of been released.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coriolis View Post
    Maybe the new GTI or Focus ST? Though by time you may be ready to make a purchase, the next Mazdaspeed3 might of been released.
    i have spoken to a dealer at my mazda dealership and they said they wont be making a new speed3 for a while

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post

- better interior
    - more torque

FR-S Pros would be:

- Better handling?
    Seems like you have more pros for the Mazda here. Rear wheel drive is cool and all, but wait til it gets cold out. Your arse end kicks out and scares the bejeesus out of you. It's not a bad thing that other people have the Mazda3. I think it sets a precedence that you'll be making the right choice. Why else would the forums exist?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarLadyLisa View Post
    Seems like you have more pros for the Mazda here. Rear wheel drive is cool and all, but wait til it gets cold out. Your arse end kicks out and scares the bejeesus out of you. It's not a bad thing that other people have the Mazda3. I think it sets a precedence that you'll be making the right choice. Why else would the forums exist?
    Rear Wheel Drive is way, way, waaaaay more fun and I would argue better control in winter, as your steering tires are not also your driving tires. "Fishtailing" is all part of the winter fun lol....Driven both about equal amount of years...My next car will definitely be RWD and 400+Hp lol.

But the OP should probably just stick with the Mazda, just for convenience sake.

_3

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by TheAnswer_03; 11-12-2014 at 02:33 AM.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP, the FRS and Mazda 3 aren't exactly in the same class. I think you need to look at what you're really looking for in a car and whether you have mod plans for it...

If you're a car enthusiast that plans to track, will take care of the car etc...the FRS is probably the better choice since space isn't an issue for you.
    But if you're looking to get a daily driver that is reliable / comfortable, looks good...MZ3 is prob the better choice.
    2010 Dyno Blue Honda Civic Si

LED HEADLIGHT KIT: Link
    HID Slim Kits 2015: Link
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/importstuning

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sp3GT View Post
    OP, the FRS and Mazda 3 aren't exactly in the same class. I think you need to look at what you're really looking for in a car and whether you have mod plans for it...

If you're a car enthusiast that plans to track, will take care of the car etc...the FRS is probably the better choice since space isn't an issue for you.
    But if you're looking to get a daily driver that is reliable / comfortable, looks good...MZ3 is prob the better choice.
    I guess I'm looking for the funner car out of the two in terms of driving and sound. I've heard the Mazda 3 rev up to redline and it didn't sound all that exciting.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can make it sound exciting easy lots of Mazda performance parts
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianbacon For This Useful Post:

ChristinaD (05-26-2015)

Ride
    2007 Mazdaspeed
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having abit of experience with both cars. I went to the mazda 3 sport gt, The car is just amazing. A tech at my work bought the brz and even he said he is disappointed in the lack of power. I went to Toyota to do the frs and was really shocked at the power. Me and my tech friend have had a few races ( races he would call it) he spanked me but that's cause I don't like going to fast atm . I smoke him on the line then he gets me cause I think I'm just to scared in my new car.