Thread: How to replace a fog light assembly on a 2007 GT

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to replace a fog light assembly on a 2007 GT

Does anyone know if the front bumper needs to come off to replace the left side fog light assembly? Also where would be the the cheapest place to get a replacement?

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to replace a fog light assembly on a 2007 GT

Replacing the bulb is possible if you just wiggle your way to it from under the car. Driver side is a bit trickier due to less clearance but still possible. Replacing the whole assembly though; I would imagine you'd need to take the bumper off first.

Again, not sure if you mean a replacement bulb or entire assembly. If bulb, any store (Canadian Tire, Part Source, etc) that sells bulbs will have an H11 bulb for the fogs. If it's the entire assembly you want to replace, I would think you'd have to get it straight from the dealership. Or off eBay or something. Dealership would definitely be the pricier option but can't top that quality of OEM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FD22 View Post
    Replacing the bulb is possible if you just wiggle your way to it from under the car. Driver side is a bit trickier due to less clearance but still possible. Replacing the whole assembly though; I would imagine you'd need to take the bumper off first.

Again, not sure if you mean a replacement bulb or entire assembly. If bulb, any store (Canadian Tire, Part Source, etc) that sells bulbs will have an H11 bulb for the fogs. If it's the entire assembly you want to replace, I would think you'd have to get it straight from the dealership. Or off eBay or something. Dealership would definitely be the pricier option but can't top that quality of OEM.

Ya I need the whole assembly, a rock flew and broke the glass. I was looking for a unit and it's about $300 ouch. Didn't think it was going to be that much, from what I can see you can't just get the glass.

I think the bumper needs to come off, i'll have to take a better look at it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you figure out how to do it let me know because I have to do both of mine for the same reason.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't need to take the bumper off... jack up the car, take off the splash guards and you can get to all the clips and the bolts that hold that fog light in place

in the future, invest in light protection film so that it won't break again
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    don't need to take the bumper off... jack up the car, take off the splash guards and you can get to all the clips and the bolts that hold that fog light in place

in the future, invest in light protection film so that it won't break again
    How would lamin-x(protection film) protect the lens? Since it's a thin vinyl film, wouldn't the rock still break the glass, it just wouldn't shatter?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh55 View Post
    How would lamin-x(protection film) protect the lens? Since it's a thin vinyl film, wouldn't the rock still break the glass, it just wouldn't shatter?
    I guess you never used lamin-x, it is not a thin layer as you think it is, its pretty thick im using it on my fog lights.
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah no i didnt know, i though it was like the thin protection they apply to the hood of cara

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did this back in March and still holding up well and the yellow tint is looking nice with no burn spots

i took the bumper off to make it easier because i replaced both assemblies and it is really easy to take the bumper off.

For cheapest assembly, look for CX7 fog light replacements about $40 a pair vs $100 each for mazda 3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-3-6-5-...4325f8&vxp=mtr

Broken

Came with brackets that i didn't use. I want to say because the OEM bracket screws were so rusty i didn't want to brake anything getting them out. that or the brackets were slightly different.

Added Yellow lamin-x (well an ebay off brand)

holding original behind new one in old bracket