Thread: 2014 Mazda3 Overtaking Accident

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Mazda3 Overtaking Accident

My mother was driving her 2014 Mazda 3, when a driver in a 2000 Camry decided to overtake her, but instead she managed to ram her car right into the driver side of the 2014 Mazda 3. Hope the picture doesn't hurt too much, my mom was sad as hell after this happened.

Now begins the fun process of trying to get this thing fixed through insurance. Should I prepare the lube?
    2014 Mazda3 GS, 2.0L auto
    2010 Mazda3 GT, 2.5L auto

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda3 Overtaking Accident

I would assume there should be no problem having insurance cover it. It's pretty impossible for anyone to argue it was your mom's fault given the angle of the impact damage. The main thing is to deal with a good shop and inspect the work afterwards carefully.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning on giving the work to Scarboro Mazda, I don't want to deal with non-OEM given the car is so new.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let insurance take care of it. Hopefully the suspension isn't damaged too bad.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
    Let insurance take care of it. Hopefully the suspension isn't damaged too bad.
    The person I spoke to at my insurance suggested Brimell Toyota as their preferred auto collision shop within my area, but I don't see why I should go with them given that I can choose the repairer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kaleshnikov View Post
    The person I spoke to at my insurance suggested Brimell Toyota as their preferred auto collision shop within my area, but I don't see why I should go with them given that I can choose the repairer.
    You have the rights to choose your shop. I have mine fixed by Birchmount Collisions, car looks good afterwards.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can take the car to any shop that YOU choose. I only deal with 427 Auto Collision in my end (West end of Toronto, by the lake), but in your case, take it to the dealer and use their shop or one they recommend.

Also, the damage is minor - door, fender, bumper cover, nothing major or structural, i'm sure the suspension is fine. All the best in fixing the car, and after it's fixed, you won't be able to tell.

As long as the shop paints with factory paint, it should be perfect. Your car is new so no fading in the paint, no blending required, IM(limited)O.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just don't assume that stealership automatically = quality work. Usually body shops (even those attached to stealerships) are run independantly.

I made that mistake when my wife had a similar collision + damage except in her case it was the rear door and fender and had to make them re-paint and re-align the bumper and even after all that I still wasn't 100% satisfied but gave up. That insurer was getting pissed at the end (paying for a rental longer than they should) because it was MY choice of repair shop that was costing them more money...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning on giving the work to Scarboro Mazda, I don't want to deal with non-OEM given the car is so new.
    The dealership likely does not have a body shop in house.
    They are just sending your car to another shop they do business with.
    Takes longer and costs more, likely the work will not be as good as taking it direct to a body shop.
    Insurance company will only pay a certain amount to the shop. Out of that the dealership likely has a 15-20% mark up.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The advantage of using the insurer's preferred shop is that your insurer will (should) give you a lifetime guarantee on the work.

-Geoff

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudPump For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (01-27-2015)

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have MAP, it will pay the difference between 3rd party worker parts and OEM...
    Damn you photobucket.....

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarborough Mazda does not have their own body shop. They will send you to a 3rd party which I personally used and was not happy with the work they did on my car. They were supposed to use new parts and I found out later that they were using used parts instead. I specifically asked for new parts and the person who hit me was paying.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    Scarborough Mazda does not have their own body shop. They will send you to a 3rd party which I personally used and was not happy with the work they did on my car. They were supposed to use new parts and I found out later that they were using used parts instead. I specifically asked for new parts and the person who hit me was paying.
    I had that a while back, but it was actual fraud by the shop since they submitted papers to the insurance company specifying new parts were used, but they were not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding a good bodyshop is a crap shoot, like someone else posted few if any dealerships have a bodyshop and sub contract to an outside shop. When you find a good bodyshop either by word of mouth or experience, stick with them and actively promote their work. I have used the same body shop for many years have sent friends there and never have had a come back.
    Anyone in the Ottawa area interested in a quality facility, it is Hunt Club Collision on Leitrim Road.

Pat.
    Last edited by sube; 01-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh... camry drivers....
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Ride
    2018 Kia Sorento SX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ask your insurance company for preferred shop. I had my 3 repaired with carstar and they did a fantastic job.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Car star is a gamble though.

Hit a deer a while back. Car star trenton were absolute morons.

Left bare wiring exposed, put in 04 headlights that were hazing. Didn't match the paint on my front bumper and hood. There were a couple harnesses that were left broken in my engine bay. It was an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Had a recommendation for the car star in port hope to fix since I did have a lifetime guarantee. Those guys were phenomenal. Everything fixed right as rain and even spotted some things I hadn't noticed. They got all brand new aftermarket parts made for my 09 vehicle.

Used them again when a Toyota Tundra backed his idiot self into the side of my car. Instead of going aftermarket the guy specifically went and got brand new mazda OEM parts. New door, new fender. Amazing color blending as well. You couldn't even tell it was repaired.

Good luck finding an auto body shop that's half decent though!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 2 experiences with Car Star, both were negative. The last time they painted the car, the car developed darker spots, almost like leopard patches (the car was silver). Had to be redone. The first time, a different car star claimed to install original glass on the invoice but installed cheaper aftermarket.

427 Auto Collision is not cheap, but personally i've been satisfied every time. Not just with my car, but my family's, some accidents, some were warranty rust work (replaced all doors on a 10-yr old audi and repainted almost the entire car).

Your results may vary, of course.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1

I am with Aviva and stuck with their preferred "premier" shops. Ended up going with Howden Collision in Scarborough - been in business for over 30 years and they do great work. I also get a lifetime warranty from Aviva and Howden on the work

Quote Originally Posted by Stathakos View Post
    Ask your insurance company for preferred shop. I had my 3 repaired with carstar and they did a fantastic job.

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    +1

I am with Aviva and stuck with their preferred "premier" shops. Ended up going with Howden Collision in Scarborough - been in business for over 30 years and they do great work. I also get a lifetime warranty from Aviva and Howden on the work
    You are NEVER stuck. It is against the law for them to make you go to their shop.

If you are happy with the shop. Then by all means no problem, but just so you're aware you have rights to take YOUR car anywhere YOU want.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Sponsor - Auto Magicians

Thanks
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your accident. As a couple of other members stated, it is 100% your decision where you would like to get your vehicle fixed. Make sure you do your research about the shop you plan on using. If you are planning on going to the dealer, ask who they outsource their work to, and read up about them.

We have done auto body work for many of the TM3 members. Off the top of my head I can think of @loki @S.F.W @murdaspeed @Fack_Dude @Prezi however there are many more. We lifetime warranty and guarantee our work and use the same paint as would be used at the factory. We were also voted Top Auto Body Shop of 2014 by Top Choice Awards, and were once again nominated for 2015! Because you are a TM3 member we could also throw in a couple of little thing here and there to make the best out of a bad situation, maybe you have some dents that need PDR or you could use a good interior detail? Give us a call if you are having a hard time deciding and I'm sure we can work something out
    Last edited by Automagicians; 02-05-2015 at 09:59 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Automagicians For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (02-05-2015),murdaspeed (02-05-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I WENT/CHOSE this particular shop - I knew about Howden, it was on their "list" of preferred's and very close to home. I am well aware I can go anywhere, and the insurance company even mentioned this to me.

The 43R full replacement value waiver on my policy also ensured only OEM parts were used.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    You are NEVER stuck. It is against the law for them to make you go to their shop.

If you are happy with the shop. Then by all means no problem, but just so you're aware you have rights to take YOUR car anywhere YOU want.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you've probably already taken care of this, but just wanted to say a word or two about Scarboro Mazda. My only real experience with them was with a family member buying a used car there. Everything about that experience though tells me they're a bunch of crooks and I'd never trust them with any business if I could help it.

Unless you've got some very specific reason to disregard this and go there, I'd avoid them. I've had good experiences at Downtown, Agincourt, and Avante. If you're going to Scarboro because it's the closest or something, do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damnn, it doesnt look too bad but id be sad if that was me, i hope ull get it fixed asap.
    マーズダビード