Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spare Key - 2nd Gens

So here I am... Sitting here.... After locking my keys in my car for the first damn time in my life.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully had a key cut at a Rona or Can Tire that could open the door of their car... specifically having one cut from the flip key that second gens (and maybe first I'm not sure).

Now I know that it wouldn't start the car, or if it did keep it running... But just for the purpose of opening the door to get ur keys which you've locked in your car.

I tried to have this done for my truck, but the key didn't work. It did work for my girlfriends old intrepid though.

Anyone attempted and being successful on having a spare key cut? Is it impossible with the key still part of the fob? From the key cutters perspective I mean... Do the keys actually come out from the fob?

Thanks,
    Fml
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Spare Key - 2nd Gens

Any key cutter can do a trace cut for a key to open the door. It just wont start the car.

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I'm looking to just have one to open the door. I wonder if the key being part of the fob makes it hard to cut.

Like I said, I tried to have one made for my truck but no such luck - perhaps the guy didn't do a good enough job.

My girlfriend did the same thing as me and she was successful, and this key **** started her car and it ran for 5 seconds before the security light began blinking.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any professional Locksmith or the Dealership will be able to cut a key for you to be able to open the door. If you have that buck tag that came with the car keys brand new, the code can be used **** to cut the key.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car only came with one key so I went through getting a second as a spare / for my wife if she needed it for something in a pinch.

The dealership gave me two options: get a "valet" key which was a basic key cut (no FOB) and programmed to the car, I can't remember but I think the total was about $60 including the programming. This would open the door via the keyhole and start the car.

Second option was anew switchblade + cut + programming. That was getting up there in price for me so it wasn't worth it.

I took a risk and bought a blank switchblade off of ebay for the price of the regular key from the dealer and had the dealer cut it and program it. Luckily that worked out well for me.

If you go somewhere like partsource they can copy your key to a regular blank and possibly copy your current chip programming to the second key so it can start the car as well. Not sure, you'd have to ask them - but they say they can copy chip keys.

If the FOB portion of the swtichblade causes concern for whoever you take it to, to get it copied just separate the FOB from the key before you go.

Just giving you some options.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studum For This Useful Post:

Raxor (02-01-2015),staax (01-31-2015)

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a total of 6 keys for my car, 5 that start it and one is just a key blank for the doors that I keep in my wallet. (I only have that many because of all the parts cars I have, and it wasn't all that costly for me to get the blade re-cut) One on my keys, 1 in my girlfriends purse, one in my toolbox, one stowed away inside the car incase I lose my keys and can only get in with my blank, and a broken top of a switchblade key. But the 2010+ can only have 3 remotes programmed to the car, so 4 switchblades won't each have a working remote.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD