Ride
    Protege. Scrapped :-(
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mazda3 GX - 2014 or 2013?

Hello all. My old Car, a Mazda Protege had a run-in with a bad mechanic recently and is now unsafe to drive (control arm is new but sub assembly and frame are rusted, threads stripped and bolts falling out, the front right wheel now rides into the wheel well walls).

So I'm looking at a replacement and its one of the reasons I came to this board. I've test driven a couple things in the class and rented out a few too. After a few months of looking, I'm back to Mazda3 - I like how they drive so much more then other cars. I rented a Mazda3 2013 for a while and its a fine car, but Ive been unable to rent a 2014. I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on the 2013 vs 2014 GX Mazda3s.

I hear the 2014 lack the 40/60 rear seats for the GX, but have a sky-active engine and a touch screen display in the middle of the dash. Anything else that's big?

If you want more information from me..

My down side is cash: I cant afford a new car, but having owned a Protege and read about Mazda rust issues, I am wary of buying an old Mazda either. So I'm looking at former daily rentals (aka: "FDR") - I've heard horror stories and the positives, its a risk I find acceptable.

What I've seen:
    2013 GX ~$11,500, ~55,000km
    2014 GX ~$16,500, ~20,000km

I'd love to have a GS, but the cost is much higher. A 2013 GS is about the same price as a FDR 2014 GX, yet that 2014 is a new model with ~40k less mileage and one less winter on it. The GS just isn't good enough for me to spend the extra 5,000. The big thing I want, heated mirrors, I will install myself or at a garage later. I commute 15,000km a year to work, ~10k of that on highways, so I expect the occasional chip.

So, to those who went through a similar buying experience or happen to have experience with both cars, what are your thoughts on them? Is the 2014 worth 5,000 more than a one year older model that also has 40k more mileage? Are there reliability issues either year has? Did the Mexico plant drop the ball for the 2014s? Does the paint chip and steel rust worse on one year over the other?

And to those who have modified your cars, was it easy? I'm looking at heated mirrors, push button start (start the car and scrape off ice without locking myself out) and possibly increasing the suspension height (I park in snow often). Is this easy or worth while in your opintions? My protege is a 2003 ES: The winter tires on steel rims and the summer tires on aluminium rims are not OEM for a Mazda3, but they are close. Anything else on it worth taking?

Thanks for any information you can give,
    - Agrippa.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda3 GX - 2014 or 2013?

IMO you'd be better off going for a 2012 Skyactiv model which can be had for $14000-16000 with low mileage (under 40-50K). The GX is bare-bones and you will not be getting the features that you enjoy (heat mirrors/seats, cruise, steering wheel stereo controls, etc). Plus, the SkyActiv has a better engine/transmission with better fuel economy.

As for push-button start, you probably mean an automatic starter. Aftermarket quality remote start kits can be installed for around $500-600 IIRC.

2012 MZ3 SkyActiv - Graphite Grey Mica

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2014 GX dont have a touch screen on its dash, only the GS and GT does. They have this "radio module" instead.

In my opinion, I would get the 2014 GX since it comes in a Skyactiv engine, while the 2013 GX doesnt. This engine will definitely help your gas cost since you do mostly highway. I got about 800km per tank when I did all highway. I dont think it will be easy to modify the car to a push button start, I suggest that you get one that already has a push button start (2014 GX does).

2013 mazda3 gs with 2013 ms3 rims, eibach prokits, mz lip kit with chargespeed lip, 20% all around tint, tinted tail lights, HID6K headlights, side skirts, axela badge, cs sri, gv eye lids, rear spoiler, HID 6K fogs, speed3 exhaust, LED reflectors

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that 16500 for the 2014 before taxes or anything? Because, if it is, you're almost at the price of a brand new one.

Between the two you've listed, the 2013 is the better deal, but that's based purely on price. I haven't seen the car :p

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hey Agrippa,

Sorry to hear about the protege. I'm sure it's just age that's put it to rest.

Price...I'd like to chime in on some of my expertise here. The 2013 pricing seems drastically low. Significantly. If you do go for that car just ensure to get the carproof and as many details as you can. That car should be selling for thousands more. If it's too good to be true, unfortunately it usually is.

Insurance...Did you check insurance on both models? If you are on a tight budget, I suggest doing that.

2014 Mazda3 GX offers many great things that the 2013 does not. As someone mentioned...the push button but also Bluetooth and the Skyactiv power train will certainly save you money on fuel. The newer design feels larger and provides more space in the back. If you can find a sport model they have the 60/40. If you need it, start looking for a 2014 hatchback.

Payments...When you are comparing these cars....compare payments as well not just the list price. With pre-owned vehicles, the banks limit the length of term you can take out based on model year. The newer the car, the longer the loan available. Is it a good idea to do an 84 month term?.....generally no. Its a good way to keep payments low, but you either have to stick with the car for the full term or contribute extra payments. Try to do it as short as you can.

Interest Rates....Watch out for them and ensure you are being told what the rates are on the finance. We are currently offering 4.85% on used vehicles. Some dealer won't tell you and will try to get you on 7%!

BONUS...Look for a MAZDA CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED. These vehicles net you lower interest rates that range from 0.90% to 3.95% and being a current Mazda owner, we can apply loyalty factors such as .25% reduction on interest. Recent Grad? Awesome! They have a Rebate for that of $400. Lower interest & more credits mean more car for less money. Plus CPO cars come with extended warranty and a bunch of other good stuff.

If either of these cars are CPO from a Mazda dealer check out what the payments work out to. If it's fairly similar, take the newer one.

Good luck in your search! PM me anytime if I can be of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa View Post
    Hello all. My old Car, a Mazda Protege had a run-in with a bad mechanic recently and is now unsafe to drive (control arm is new but sub assembly and frame are rusted, threads stripped and bolts falling out, the front right wheel now rides into the wheel well walls).

So I'm looking at a replacement and its one of the reasons I came to this board. I've test driven a couple things in the class and rented out a few too. After a few months of looking, I'm back to Mazda3 - I like how they drive so much more then other cars. I rented a Mazda3 2013 for a while and its a fine car, but Ive been unable to rent a 2014. I want to hear your thoughts and opinions on the 2013 vs 2014 GX Mazda3s.

I hear the 2014 lack the 40/60 rear seats for the GX, but have a sky-active engine and a touch screen display in the middle of the dash. Anything else that's big?

If you want more information from me..

My down side is cash: I cant afford a new car, but having owned a Protege and read about Mazda rust issues, I am wary of buying an old Mazda either. So I'm looking at former daily rentals (aka: "FDR") - I've heard horror stories and the positives, its a risk I find acceptable.

What I've seen:
    2013 GX ~$11,500, ~55,000km
    2014 GX ~$16,500, ~20,000km

I'd love to have a GS, but the cost is much higher. A 2013 GS is about the same price as a FDR 2014 GX, yet that 2014 is a new model with ~40k less mileage and one less winter on it. The GS just isn't good enough for me to spend the extra 5,000. The big thing I want, heated mirrors, I will install myself or at a garage later. I commute 15,000km a year to work, ~10k of that on highways, so I expect the occasional chip.

So, to those who went through a similar buying experience or happen to have experience with both cars, what are your thoughts on them? Is the 2014 worth 5,000 more than a one year older model that also has 40k more mileage? Are there reliability issues either year has? Did the Mexico plant drop the ball for the 2014s? Does the paint chip and steel rust worse on one year over the other?

And to those who have modified your cars, was it easy? I'm looking at heated mirrors, push button start (start the car and scrape off ice without locking myself out) and possibly increasing the suspension height (I park in snow often). Is this easy or worth while in your opintions? My protege is a 2003 ES: The winter tires on steel rims and the summer tires on aluminium rims are not OEM for a Mazda3, but they are close. Anything else on it worth taking?

Thanks for any information you can give,
    - Agrippa.

Noob
    Ride
    Protege. Scrapped :-(
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update:

Hello everyone, I thought Id give an update.
    I got a 2013 SE, skyactive. ~30k km, ~$15k+tx
    Ive had it a year and a half and I really like it. The heated mirrors and seats are something I am quite grateful for.
    I have noticed I've acquired chips faster than my old protege, probably from the construction on the highways. No rust yet.