Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you warm up your car before using?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you warm up your car before using?

So another question is, is a block heater worth it, even if you just have it set on a timer to come on for 2-3 hrs each morning before you drive the car.

I don't know anything about them, and not really sure how long they need to be on before being effective, but I'm considering getting one installed because of the oil I use (with 100ft extension cord from the backyard)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    Lol. Think about this for a second, and then tell me where the load changes when the car is in motion
    The engine doesn't warm up the tires, suspension, brakes, etc.
    I don't have to think about it, but I think you do ...As soon as you put a vehicle in Drive or drop the clutch, there is load put on the engine and trans and this load continues thru every gear and thru acceleration till you reach cruising. A vehicles engine, sitting NOT in gear, has no load on it period....That should be common sense and common knowledge.

We're not talking tires, suspension, brakes, the OP asked specifically about whether a warm up is necessary when starting a cold engine...and I suggested that it is.

Also with the designs of our particular vehicles you are also warming up your transaxles to an extent.

As for brakes, suspension, but not necessarily the tires, they should warm up in the initial 2 or 3 kilometers that you drive at moderate and easy speeds.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 03-01-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typos

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

aitakeru (03-01-2015),TheMAN (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    So another question is, is a block heater worth it, even if you just have it set on a timer to come on for 2-3 hrs each morning before you drive the car.

I don't know anything about them, and not really sure how long they need to be on before being effective, but I'm considering getting one installed because of the oil I use (with 100ft extension cord from the backyard)
    What oil are you using first of all?

Block heater;

Wiki; Research by the Agricultural Engineering Department of the University of Saskatchewan has shown that operating a block heater for longer than four hours prior to starting a vehicle is a waste of energy. It was found that coolant temperature increased by almost 20 °C (36 °F) degrees in that period, regardless of the initial temperature (4 tests were run at ambient temperatures ranging from −11 to −29 °C or 12 to −20 °F; continued use of the heater for a further one or two, or more, hours achieved a mere 2 or 3 more degrees Celsius as conditions stabilized. Engine oil temperature was found to increase over these periods by just 5 °C (9.0 °F).[2]

---

Notice the oil temp is not especially affected, this is why I have always suggested people use a true synthetic oil where the pour points are around the -45C range, meaning they will flow the same at -45C as they would at 2C, meaning instant lubrication. The better syns will also bond to the metal better, leaving a slight oil film on all internal parts, even after hours of sitting.

Sorry for the double post.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 03-01-2015 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Same typos

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"So another question is, is a block heater worth it, even if you just have it set on a timer to come on for 2-3 hrs each morning before you drive the car."

Yes.

"I don't know anything about them, and not really sure how long they need to be on before being effective"

2 hours when the temperature reaches -15 deg. celsius. Get a timer.

Note: no wiki was used. Just plain old common sense.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    "So another question is, is a block heater worth it, even if you just have it set on a timer to come on for 2-3 hrs each morning before you drive the car."

Yes.

"I don't know anything about them, and not really sure how long they need to be on before being effective"

2 hours when the temperature reaches -15 deg. celsius. Get a timer.

Note: no wiki was used. Just plain old common sense.
    SmartAss eh! ... I posted that to answer Loki's question directly and being a University study it can be trusted. Where'd you get your info from exactly? -15 and 2 hours???

Oh and I don't believe the question can be answered by common sense...do you know what common sense is?

_3

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    SmartAss eh! ... I posted that to answer Loki's question directly and being a University study it can be trusted. Where'd you get your info from exactly? -15 and 2 hours???

Oh and I don't believe the question can be answered by common sense...do you know what common sense is?

_3
    "Where'd you get your info from exactly? -15 and 2 hours???"

From anti-vaxxers and their friends on FB.

"do you know what common sense is?"

Yes.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

m_bisson (03-01-2015),Zuluwun (03-01-2015)

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Winnipeg, every car out here has block heaters. Pretty much necessary for the -35 temps. Very helpful and easier on the vehicle starting at like -20. Battery blankets are also crazy helpful.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fruitloops For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally remote start the car before I put my shoes and jacket on... by the time I get to the car, its probably been about 2 minutes, and it's ready to roll.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ace_master For This Useful Post:

ChristinaD (03-04-2015),Raxor (03-02-2015)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another one of these stupid threads?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (03-01-2015),Mr Wilson (03-02-2015),sarujo (03-01-2015),sube (03-01-2015)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I don't have to think about it, but I think you do ...As soon as you put a vehicle in Drive or drop the clutch, there is load put on the engine and trans and this load continues thru every gear and thru acceleration till you reach cruising. A vehicles engine, sitting NOT in gear, has no load on it period....That should be common sense and common knowledge.

We're not talking tires, suspension, brakes, the OP asked specifically about whether a warm up is necessary when starting a cold engine...and I suggested that it is.

Also with the designs of our particular vehicles you are also warming up your transaxles to an extent.

As for brakes, suspension, but not necessarily the tires, they should warm up in the initial 2 or 3 kilometers that you drive at moderate and easy speeds.

_3
    There is still a load, even if it's not in gear...

But you sort of grasped my comment about what an idling engine DOES warm up. On a fwd vehicle, the transmission might warm up a bit, but you could be sitting there with warm air at the vents and a half chilled tranny.

The transmission doesn't really warm up until you put it to work, which means driving down the road. So, my argument is that the heat generated by combustion in the engine doesn't warm up as much as you think it does. Also, the heat generated by friction only helps warm it's most immediate surroundings.

If the car is in park (or in gear with the clutch in), there is very little heat being generated in the tranny. Fluid may be circulating, but that's not going to generate any heat.

Anyways... It's always good to drive gently at first regardless of how long your vehicle has been idling. There are still a lot of cold parts that need to warm up. In a rear wheel drive vehicle, for example, the rear differential could be ice cold while the engine is overheating

Just because you've got warm air in the cabin, doesn't mean you can get in and drive like "normal".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is still a load, even if it's not in gear...

But you sort of grasped my comment about what an idling engine DOES warm up. On a fwd vehicle, the transmission might warm up a bit, but you could be sitting there with warm air at the vents and a half chilled tranny.

The transmission doesn't really warm up until you put it to work, which means driving down the road. So, my argument is that the heat generated by combustion in the engine doesn't warm up as much as you think it does. Also, the heat generated by friction only helps warm it's most immediate surroundings.

If the car is in park (or in gear with the clutch in), there is very little heat being generated in the tranny. Fluid may be circulating, but that's not going to generate any heat.

Anyways... It's always good to drive gently at first regardless of how long your vehicle has been idling. There are still a lot of cold parts that need to warm up. In a rear wheel drive vehicle, for example, the rear differential could be ice cold while the engine is overheating

Just because you've got warm air in the cabin, doesn't mean you can get in and drive like "normal".
    LOL ...you guys hahaha

The OP just asked a "yes or no" question

2013 mazda3 gs with 2013 ms3 rims, eibach prokits, mz lip kit with chargespeed lip, 20% all around tint, tinted tail lights, HID6K headlights, side skirts, axela badge, cs sri, gv eye lids, rear spoiler, HID 6K fogs, speed3 exhaust, LED reflectors

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bestknightmare For This Useful Post:

aitakeru (03-01-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    another one of these stupid threads?
    Agreed 110%. so much B/S being spewed you would need a shovel to wade through it.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anywhere between 5-15 minutes depending on outside temp and how slow I get my ass back out of the house. usually will start it, go back in, brush my teeth and make my coffee and or finish getting ready. in the summer. 30sec to a min if its warm enough

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bestknightmare View Post
    LOL ...you guys hahaha

The OP just asked a "yes or no" question
    Actually if you read the original post, it was not a yes/no question. You could have answered yes or no but that would have been even more useless

See the post again for those who have forgotten or did not read..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle23196146/

Anyone else come across this article the other day? What do you think about it?
    I've always been warming up my car before using it, mostly for interior but I was generally taught that it was better for the car - especially in the winter.

Anyway the constant bickering and back and forth attacks that are showing up more and more these days is getting really exhausting. Constructive critism or well backed arguing is ok but not the same members attacking each other in every thread

21. The Following User Says Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

aitakeru (03-01-2015)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen a couple articles that argue both ways... Generally an opinion in a newspaper is as credible as an opinion on the Internet. Sometimes news articles will have a blurb about the author... "Bill, a certified mechanic, has been working on cars for x number of years..." but that globe and mail article doesn't have anything.

Another good place to find more opinions is on that oil forum. I forget the name of it at the moment.
    Last edited by m_bisson; 03-01-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another good place to find more opinions is on that oil forum. I forget the name of it at the moment.
    That bobistheoilguy place?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to unknown For This Useful Post:

m_bisson (03-02-2015)

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I start my car and let it warm up for however long it takes me to brush the snow off.
    If there's no snow, I'm on my way.

GM's engineers did a study and determined that there's no benefit to warming up a car after the first 30 seconds.

-Geoff

26. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudPump For This Useful Post:

Mr Wilson (03-02-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudPump View Post
    I start my car and let it warm up for however long it takes me to brush the snow off.
    If there's no snow, I'm on my way.

-Geoff
    That's what I do, and what I would suggest too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally warm it up til the idle is "steady" (not going up and down).

For the really cold days -10 before windchill, I do give it 2 minutes. Since arguments are made by both sides that more than 30 seconds isn't needed, and then some say 5 minutes is needed, I figure I'm doing a balanced one that makes me feel comfortable.

Mainly though, its less inspired by that argument I speak of above, but also how the car feels. I do take it easy and stay at about 20% throttle and try to stay out of boost until the needle gets to the centre.
    2015 Subaru WRX Sport / Dark Grey Metallic
    2007 Mazda3 Sport GS 2.3L / Crystal Pearl White / 5spd - rip

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tweak_s For This Useful Post:

aris (03-03-2015),jswift79 (03-03-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I purchased my mercedes I had a chance to exchange a few emails with the guy who built my engine, and builds all AMG engines for the matter. I will have to paraphrase because I no longer have the string of emails but when talking about engine break in and running in cold weather it was pretty simple...start the car, put it in drive and drive away. Be cautious not to push the engine hard (ie performance driving) until the optimal engine temperatures are met.

This is the advice I file so I guess in some ways I agree with the globe writer.
    Last edited by Jsquared; 03-02-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, i always do, summer or winter.
    マーズダビード

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MS3_ For This Useful Post:

Flagrum_3 (03-03-2015),jswift79 (03-03-2015)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only warm up my car for about five minutes and only in -5 or less. I know this isn't great and is putting strain on the engine, but generally I am less than concerned.

If I was that concerned, I'd garage it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to MrClark For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I warm the car up because I like it to be warm or cool inside for me. Remote start all the way.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely had to warm my car up today.

Minimum 5 minutes this morning.
    Mods are always being done

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's quite simple, and agreed with all manufacturer's recommendations.

On cold days, start the car and let it idle for 2 mins, or at least once the RPMs start to drop a little.

Start driving, and take it easy. As the car warms up you feel it responds better, so you can push the car a little more. When fully warm, drive normally.

It's not complicated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast