Ride
    2006 Mazda 3 GT Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cheap HD 1080p DASHCAM from Aliexpress

Here's a quick review on the GS8000L Dashcam thats being sold on Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress (this one was purchased off Aliexpress)

I purchased it from HERE but you can find this model all over the net its going under several different names all coming from China. I chose this one as its one of the most popular models in Russia and those guys know their dashcams!

Here is one of my clips recorded at 1080p hwy and local driving, parking, with music playing and all 4 windows open a few inches (I wanted to test the audio interference)

https://youtu.be/yG9uZiPupMM

Product Details:
    Product Name: Novatek GS8000L HD1080P 2.7" Car DVR Vehicle Camera Video Recorder Dash Cam
    Regular Price: Approx. US $22.31 /w Free shipping
    Camera Resolution: 1920x1080
    Frames Per Second: 30
    Video Format: AVI
    GPS logger: None
    OSD Language: Chinese,English,French,German,Italian,Japanese,Kor ean,Portuguese,Russia,Russian,Spanish
    Display Size: 2.7"
    Chipset Manufacturer: Novatek
    Pixels: 500Mega
    View angle: 140°
    Video Code: H.264
    Battery: Built-in
    Color: Black

Review:
    I purchased 2 of these at first for test units as I was skeptical buying them for such a cheap price compared to the other units I've seen online which usually go for $50-$100 but figured I'd try them out.

The boxes come with very simple instructions with bad english so don't expect too much from that, thankfully the unit is pretty simple, it comes with the mounting bracket and suction cup (which is very good works as well as my garmin GPS) and although the mini usb cable to ciggarette adapter cable was long, for those of you with the newer gen Mazda 3's who want to wire it up to the center console adapter you will need another foot or so extension cable as I ran out of slack right at the top of the windshield after wiring the cable under the footwell and behind the pillar all nice and pretty. If you are planning to use the cigarette port in the front however you will have more than enough room with slack to spare.

I tested the built in battery and got about 10mins of runtime without plugging it in which is good as there is a setting on the unit to keep recording for a minute or so after you turn off the engine, this is optional of course. The unit did not come with a microSD card so I had to put in my own. I used an ADATA 32GB microSD card I had from an old phone and it works and gets about 2.5hrs of driving on 1080p setting before recording over old footage. You can choose the amount of time per recording clip i.e. 3mins or 5mins etc. You can also take photos with it as well in case you need to take a few pics after an accident and don't have your phone handy (another reason the builtin battery is convenient).

The camera turns on and off with the engine only takes a few seconds and starts auto recording, has a very quiet chime when the units goes off and on, nothing too annoying. The screen is nice to have especially for when you want to LOCK a recording clip so it doesn't get overwritten, or if you need to make a few quick changes in the settings on the go. The quality of the 2.7" screen is complete crap so don't expect to use it for anything other than making menu selections or testing playback of clips.

My one real gripe for the cam is that in order to turn on nightvision (I plan to record and upload some footage to youtube soon) you HAVE TO PRESS the power button (top right) to turn it off and on. I guess its not a huge deal but since I forget the camera is even there most of the time, I usually forget to do this, I guess for $20 I can't complain but I hope the more expensive units out there have light sensors to turn the night vision on/off.

All in all I am very happy with the results so far considering what I paid for them, The picture is on par from what I expected although if you can notice in the video link provided although colors seem ok and resolution is high, you can see how a fixed focus lens really shows its weaknesses when it comes to reading license plates and street signs, I figure the more expensive units probably have better lenses. The resolution is high enough however (video was recorded at 1080p setting you can choose lower resolutions if you want to save SD card space) to make out any license plates right in front of you so if you were to get into an accident you should be able to see the plate numbers clearly.

Its an OK gadget to have in case something goes wrong, and for $20 something its not a huge investment, I like that once I set it up I pretty much forgot its there and won't ever need to touch it unless I really need it. You can take out the microSD card without moving the unit, I emailed the manufacturer and they recommended only using 8GB class 6 or higher SANDISK or KINGSTON cards but I've been using my ADATA 32GB fine for a while with no recording issues yet. Just keep that in mind in case anyone does buy one of these.

I ended up buying several of these for clients as presents. As its just one of those things you don't wanna spend money on, but you wish you had when its too late kinda thing.

7/10 - Good bang for buck. Better quality out there if you can spend the $$$

2. The Following User Says Thank You to insomniak For This Useful Post:

TRECLA (03-18-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cheap HD 1080p DASHCAM from Aliexpress

That's a pretty good camera for $20. Great if don't want to spend that much.

I still think the best value dashcam is either G1W, A118 or Mobius for about $50-70 price range.

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$20, you won't cry even it dies after a month or so.

Nice review.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered one. Your you tube video was not so bad great price
    Phantom Blue 2007 Mazda 3 GT
    Mods: Tejima (SRI) 20% tints/SP23 spoiler/White dipped emblems/Interior lighting blue/window visor's/18" RX8 rims/ROKBLOKZ mud flaps/JP style front lip (Garage16). Side skirt spoilers (NextMod) Eibach Pro Kits

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to break anyone's balls but looks like this has a lot of issues..for the price though can't complain

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/thread...n-answer.5282/
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just about to order 1. Thanks for the review

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered one and reading the link just don't upgrade the firmware lol
    Photographer for Street Concepts online magazine
    Kaption Audio show team
    The Lowerclass

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update bought two

I for the front and chances one for the rear. And for cruises it will record the side

For 20.00 a great deal nice find!