Thread: The never ending debate: Should you change your oil based on age or mileage?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The never ending debate: Should you change your oil based on age or mileage?

Many articles or contributions online refute OEM claims that one should change their oil every 4 months or 8000 KM (or whatever the manufacturer recommends) due to many factors like how newer oils especially synthetic oil have longer life properties.

Since many new car manufacturers are using premium or synthetic oil, the engine oil lasts longer and can be changed less often without any increased engine wear or damage. Some cars like Hondas have indicators when you should change your oil and from what I understand, they are typically based on mileage, not age.

However, many OEM recommendations especially dealer service department recommendation typically do not reflect the advancement in synthetic oil and continue to tell people that you should change your oil every 4 months if you don't reach the recommended kilometer interval. In contrast, many non dealer service departments or indy speciality shops like Goodyear are telling their customers to change your oil at least once a year or by the recommended kilometer interval.

Of course, people are afraid that if they don't go with what the manufacturer recommends, they will lose their warranty. Kia has that disclaimer in their service manual.

So the question again is when do you change your oil? Is it based on how much you drive or if you drive very little, do you change based on age?
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The never ending debate: Should you change your oil based on age or mileage?

Every 4 months/8000 at dealership for $47
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The never ending debate: Should you change your oil based on age or mileage?

If you have a car within warranty then you should follow the manufacturer specifications.

Is the price of a oil change worth fighting if something goes wrong?

Also Mazda has some of the cheapest OEM synthetic oil changes.

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always hit the "OR BY xxxxx kms" months before the recommended date and done oil changes based on that...always synthetic
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha i just changed my oil today at 49k kms

the last time i changed my oil was in November 20-ish, 2014 at 43k kms. the manual calls for 7000 kms intervals. It's already 6months, the oil was dark (no chemist), and didnt want to wait any longer

used Mobil1 0w20 and a mazda oil filter
    IG - http://instagram.com/jswift79
    Graphite Mica -2012 Mazda 3 GX sport
    no $$$ for mods crew

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jswift79 View Post
    haha i just changed my oil today at 49k kms

the last time i changed my oil was in November 20-ish, 2014 at 43k kms. the manual calls for 7000 kms intervals. It's already 6months, the oil was dark (no chemist), and didnt want to wait any longer

used Mobil1 0w20 and a mazda oil filter
    Many write-ups say you should change your oil at least once a year, so you should be fine. lol.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Google For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (05-22-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's best to just wait until you develop a leak, then you can just constantly add a bit of new oil so that your oil always stays 'fresh'.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it based on mileage. My sticker says 60K - May. I'll be at 60K by early June so I'll wait.

2012 MZ3 SkyActiv - Graphite Grey Mica

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Due to an engine and transmission warranty, I have to change mine on which ever condition is met first (time or mileage). I would prefer to do it based on mileage as I run synthetic, or at least once a year if the mileage is not met because not every year may warrant the same mileage.

I feel its good to have both measures in place.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i change mine every 6000km or 3 months supposedly your oil starts to break down after that period of time and is not lubricating your motor as well as it should

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every 6000km? that does not sound like a lot, are you sure that's the case? Anywhere we can verify that the oil after that period does not lubricate the engine as well as it should? Which oil do you use?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by the time i get to 8000km for my synthetic oil change its not very nice looking feeling or smelling its not as slick as it was when new. i find at 6000km its just getting crappy so i change it then(owner preference) and for the oil breaking you can find online that over time and use oil gets worn down and loses it lubrication properties as well sludge is going to start to form probably not at 3 months but over time and driving and depending on how much you drive aswell.but it doesnt just all of a sudden break down in one day and its garbage it just starts around then and only continues to get worse. at the end of the day you should neglect your motor from its oil change only going to cause sludge and vanish in your motor. im trying to find the write up about engine oil i read a while back when i do ill post it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as well i use amsoil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers man, don't get me wrong not saying that you are making the stuff up, I would just like to find out a bit more since this is the first time I hear someone changes oil that early.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kontra For This Useful Post:

Aitch (06-24-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no worries man all good

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 months or 8k if under warranty. most mazdas after 2011 run 0w20 synth anyway so if they reco that then you should do it. @Google if you want to stay in warranty anyway. now I am out of warranty on my 2010 so Id be lucky to do 8k in 6 months. so I change every 6 months or the 8k and do it in the spring and in the fall. if the winter is harsh I throw one in between the fall and spring service.

changing the oil more, is better for the car and less harmful then leaving it and changing it later. all to save $50. not really worth it if you ask me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Booter22 For This Useful Post:

Johns 08 3 GT (06-24-2015)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    changing the oil more, is better for the car and less harmful then leaving it and changing it later. all to save $50. not really worth it if you ask me.
    This.

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Within warranty - follow schedule.

Out of warranty - change between 8-10k kms if using synthetic or at least once a year.

Doesn't matter which brand you use especially if its a synthetic. Oil has come a long way.
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ in other words, within warranty follow months or mileage, whichever you reach first? after warranty runs out, then go by mileage only?

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes.

Because any oil you buy today isn't going to break down in 4 months. Just a money grab to do it every 4 months.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do about 1500km per month....I just wait till I hit the 8k mark, usually about every 5 months