Thread: Parking brake Stuck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Parking brake Stuck

Hi everyone, So my car's Parking Brake is stuck and Doesnt go back where the brakes becomes loose.
    Usually my parking brake goes back when I started rolling but today it wont go back and feels like the cable doesnt retract all the way in.
    I went home with semi parking brake engage and I think I've worn down my rear brake pads in the left. And my handbrake stick in the interior is loose.

Can anyone help me or does anyone had it experienced it before. ?
    any possible fix?
    My car is 2007 mazda 3 GX.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Parking brake Stuck

When is the last time you had the brakes serviced, lubricated? ...Sounds like your PB has seized, either the actual mechanism or the cables

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 05-31-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cables have a tendency to get stuck with age, especially if it's the original cable. Something about the sheathing or some such, I can't remember. Mine seized on my 07 as well, only permanent fix is to replace the cable.

I used some penetrant to get the cable to release the caliper and didn't use the parking brake at all in the interim (2 weeks or so) between when I realized it was unusable and when I actually got it replaced.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just recently changed all of my rotors and pads about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zuluwun View Post
    Cables have a tendency to get stuck with age, especially if it's the original cable. Something about the sheathing or some such, I can't remember. Mine seized on my 07 as well, only permanent fix is to replace the cable.

I used some penetrant to get the cable to release the caliper and didn't use the parking brake at all in the interim (2 weeks or so) between when I realized it was unusable and when I actually got it replaced.
    How much did you spend all in all to repair this problem?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't recall exactly. Something like $80 for the part and $100 for the labour? Best way to find out is call around and get estimates

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just changed my parking brake cable on my 05. Jimmy from Street Performance told me that this is common. I got the cable from Mazda of Toronto and Jimmy changed it for me. I forgot the total price though. I wouldn't have known myself. I just assumed the parking brake would work forever since I always use it. The guy in the parts department told me that this is common as well.
    Dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you tried knocking the back wheels with a hammer ? thats what i do , give it a couple of shots with like a dead blow hammer careful not to damage a rim. dont smash it just give it a couple firm love taps.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2005 Mazda 3 GX. ~135,000 km at the time

I had intermittent issues with my parking break, sometimes stick, then no stick, when it would stick it would usually always break free maybe after 1 km of driving, I learned to release the parking break lift back and jerk if back and forth to make it free up.

After about a month of driving like that, I finally investigated. Turned out the spring that pushes back on the parking break jumped out of position. I put the spring back in position cleaned up all the junk on the wire sprayed lube up the wire (where it goes from bare into the black isolator) on both wheels then smeared grease all over the exposed part wire can't put a crazy amount as you don't have grease on brakes. Just put enough to coat it. Grease is my idea of rust proofing, may not be the best.

That was in Sept 2014 haven't had an issue since.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ds2chan View Post
    I just changed my parking brake cable on my 05. Jimmy from Street Performance told me that this is common. I got the cable from Mazda of Toronto and Jimmy changed it for me. I forgot the total price though. I wouldn't have known myself. I just assumed the parking brake would work forever since I always use it. The guy in the parts department told me that this is common as well.
    Is this "common" failure on gen1 only or did they resolve it with gen2+? I have a MT (gen2) and use the parking brake all the time and wondering if will run into this problem down the road as well.
    Last edited by sarujo; 06-02-2015 at 03:26 PM.

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Is this "common" failure on gen1 only or did they resolve it with gen2+? I have a MT (gen2) and use the parking brake all the time and wondering if will run into this problem down the road as well.
    If it IS as 'common' as they say, I would suspect it's from the lack of maintenance. Even the dealers don't touch the PB during the 24/48/72 etc. scheduled brake maintenance, which they should, and I think stinks. It only takes a light dab of grease on the cables and to operate the PB to work it in...takes a few minutes.

I've never had an issue with mine, as I grease the cables every oil change or whenever I get the chance.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    If it IS as 'common' as they say, I would suspect it's from the lack of maintenance. Even the dealers don't touch the PB during the 24/48/72 etc. scheduled brake maintenance, which they should, and I think stinks. It only takes a light dab of grease on the cables and to operate the PB to work it in...takes a few minutes.

I've never had an issue with mine, as I grease the cables every oil change or whenever I get the chance.

_3
    The reason I ask is that I was told (when I asked) that on my car things are sealed and nothing to grease. What exactly are you greasing on your gen1?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    The reason I ask is that I was told (when I asked) that on my car things are sealed and nothing to grease. What exactly are you greasing on your gen1?
    The exposed ends of the actual cable which extends out of the protective sheading. That's where the moisture and crud can get in. I usually spray it with a penetrant like WD40 then slap some grease on there.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ +1. That's how I got mine unstuck when I realized it had started sticking although my cable was far enough gone that lubing didn't seem to work even as a temporary measure. I just unstuck it and stopped using it till I got it replaced. In retrospect, regular maintenance should help avoid the problem.
    @sarujo, whatever you were told about lubricating is definitely not true, especially when it comes to brakes.