Thread: Not the way I wanted to introduce my car to the forums... =(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not the way I wanted to introduce my car to the forums... =(

So I'm driving home after work on the 409E, looking forward to a relaxing weekend...BAM!

According to the lady that hit my car, her brakes "stopped working" and veered into my car from the next lane, bounced into the concrete barrier on the left side of the highway, and ended up on the far right side blocking the on-ramp. But luckily nobody was hurt...

A witness stopped and called the police and they arrived on scene. Ended up going to the collision center to report everything and I called my insurance company to start a claim going.

The insurance company recommended a garage for me to get repairs done, and that they would guarantee the repairs for life. But should the fact that the car is still new (8.5 months old) and under warranty sway me towards getting the repairs done through the dealership?

Side note: Gen2 crashes into a Gen3, and is witnessed by a Gen1... Weird!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Not the way I wanted to introduce my car to the forums... =(

Most dealerships don't have their own body shop, they simply outsource the work to a third party body shop and mark up the rate.
    That said, do some research on the body shop insurance recommends, and then decide. You can always go to the shop of your choice.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a poor excuse for an accident....glad you're ok though.

Mazda love is ironic on this one.

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear this happened to you

So when mine got mine got effed up recently I actually opted to go back to who the dealership recommended...she was 4 weeks old and I wanted to make sure she still felt as new when I got her back. I also liked the idea of being able to see where she was the whole time.

However...I will ask you this...Do you own her or is she leased? If she's leased I'd opt for the dealership that way if you aren't buying out the lease you they can't really hold you accountable if something like the paint colour doesn't match That's up to them to hash out with the shop they deal with....full transparency; you're not trying to hide anything.

It's not your fault so it's not coming out of your pocket
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It comes out of your pocket somehow because mow there's an accident on the title

6. The Following User Says Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

p-o-g-i (07-18-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After getting some sleep and reading your responses, I'm feeling more at ease with the situation - thanks everyone!

She's owned, not leased...
    I also did get rust-proofing done through the dealership - if the "recommended" body shop did a crappy job and rust formed in the areas that were covered, could it possibly void the warranty in that way?

I always get the comment about accidents affecting resale value, but every car I've owned has been driven to the ground - only time will tell if it'll be the same for this car...

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should say to your insurance company that you want a new car. It's only 8.5 months old, and you bought a brand new car, not an accident repair. I would be raising hell if it was my brand new car. Also since it wasn't your fault, that's the main point I would be raising. Tell them you want to be reimbursed for accelerated depreciation now that it has an accident claim on it. Even if you want it to be driven into the ground.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    You should say to your insurance company that you want a new car. It's only 8.5 months old, and you bought a brand new car, not an accident repair. I would be raising hell if it was my brand new car. Also since it wasn't your fault, that's the main point I would be raising. Tell them you want to be reimbursed for accelerated depreciation now that it has an accident claim on it. Even if you want it to be driven into the ground.
    8.5 months is closer to a year old than brand new. While it sucks, you can raise all the hell you want but you're not getting a brand new car out of them.

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just make sure the body shop you choose is using genuine mazda parts. Although we don't have a body shop on site, the ones we use often call us for parts.

Shit happens. It sucks. Glad your OK.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm leaning towards leaving it in the dealership's hands... Even if they outsource the work, I'm sure they'll guarantee the work since it's the shop of their choosing. Also, in case of any future warranty issues, they'll have it all on file...
    Also more likely they'll use genuine Mazda parts I suppose.

Next step is to get a hold of the adjuster that's handling my claim and go from there... I'll keep you all posted!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K-MACK View Post
    I think I'm leaning towards leaving it in the dealership's hands... Even if they outsource the work, I'm sure they'll guarantee the work since it's the shop of their choosing. Also, in case of any future warranty issues, they'll have it all on file...
    Also more likely they'll use genuine Mazda parts I suppose.

Next step is to get a hold of the adjuster that's handling my claim and go from there... I'll keep you all posted!
    It depends on what your insurance policy states. On my policy there's a clause requiring any insurance work being performed to use only OEM products. If you are worried about rust proofing warranty, you could always get a re-spray done after the repairs are completed, might even be possible to get the cost covered by your provider.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think going to a dealer could actually lead to inferior work.
    Insurance companies will only pay so much for a repair. They have a guide they use based in part on similar accident repairs.
    Suppose insurance company feels repair should cost $4,500. Go direct to a body shop and they can use that whole amount and turn a profit.
    Now, if a dealership is involved and needs to take a percentage, do you think the insurance company increases the payout ? Doubtful.
    So where does the money come from ? Body shop has to cut somewhere, it won't be their profit margin that gets cut.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

K-MACK (07-19-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    I think going to a dealer could actually lead to inferior work.
    Insurance companies will only pay so much for a repair. They have a guide they use based in part on similar accident repairs.
    Suppose insurance company feels repair should cost $4,500. Go direct to a body shop and they can use that whole amount and turn a profit.
    Now, if a dealership is involved and needs to take a percentage, do you think the insurance company increases the payout ? Doubtful.
    So where does the money come from ? Body shop has to cut somewhere, it won't be their profit margin that gets cut.
    I didn't even think about looking at it from this angle... It got me into doing a deeper search into the recommended shop (Assured Automotive in Thornhill) and tripped across a post from 2014 that it's the same shop that MoT uses (which is where I got my car from).

So either way, it would have ended up at the same place! I'll see if I can find some reviews on the place, but if anybody has used then in the past, I'd like to hear your feedback!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    The car would have to be written off to get a new car, most policies now have gap insurance for a 12/24 month full replacement. As for getting accelerated depreciation insurance that's a none starter also. It may be possible to have a rider on a policy for that if you pay an extra premium.
    Cloudpump maybe you could clarify this.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sube View Post
    The car would have to be written off to get a new car, most policies now have gap insurance for a 12/24 month full replacement. As for getting accelerated depreciation insurance that's a none starter also. It may be possible to have a rider on a policy for that if you pay an extra premium.
    Cloudpump maybe you could clarify this.

Pat.
    AVIVA provides full replacement cost waiver for up to 5 years (from brand new) - nobody else goes this long (according to my broker) - I had it on my 2010 for the full 5 years. In my last year of coverage the premium was only $250 for the year. The car would need to be in a write off state to get the full replacement value back.
    Last edited by sarujo; 07-19-2015 at 03:28 PM.

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like my Desjardins policy has the 5-year full replacement, but only if its a total loss. Otherwise, if its a partial loss and the vehicle isn't being replaced, they'll use new parts...

Ride
    '93 RX7 R1
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8.5months old, and looking at the damage, I honestly can't see them replacing the car, my Accord was less than 2.5months old when I got hit and sent my car in a tailspin and over a medium ... by the time everything was said and done it was greater than $15K, but they still didn't replace it, my Ins company said it needs to be over something like 70% of the value of the vehicle before they consider full replacement (car was $30K) ... car is being leased, so I opted to have Honda repair it, and to be honest for the last 7months since I got the car back I've been waiting to hear a strange clunk, click, rattle or other strange noises but nothing, the car is still tight and smooth as the first day I drove it off the lot brand new.
    Since Honda repaired it to their satisfaction, once the lease is up, if I decide to hand the car back, nothing related to the accident will come back to bite me, everything was on the up and up and above board, and approval through Honda is done.

The bad part however is that I didn't go to the Ins company's preferred shop, so if anything arises now (result of the accident) on the car, I will have to jump through a few hoops with the Insurance company in order for them to agree to cover the costs ... I was nervous about this, but so far so good...

Its really shitty when something like this happens to a new~ish car, especially when the accident isn't your fault ... I was really planning on buying the car out at the end of the lease, and if the car keeps going the way it has in the last 7months, I still might end up doing so, only time will tell...

Hope your experience is similar to mine and you still continue to enjoy your car after the repairs.

Oh, another good thing was that Honda spared no expense with the repairs, the rear subframe was bent due to the way I got sent spinning over the center mediun, and the front subframe was ever so lightly scratched, so they decided to change both subframes and all suspension arms along with every nut and bolt with new ones, I was in there every other day and they kept showing me the progress ... maybe this is why the car still feels like new.

And yes, I do have the replacement coverage included in my policy, but apparently what my Ins said is that if its below the 70% of the cost, then no replacement, but definitely only use of OEM parts for repairs, none of the aftermarket cheaper parts will be considered.
    I only had 2,500kms on the car at the time too, so it was barely even broken-in. lol
    Last edited by Mty Mous; 07-19-2015 at 04:37 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mty Mous For This Useful Post:

Aitch (07-19-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the accident close to the 401E? The 409 curves quite a bit there and drivers often don't slow down enough. Combine that with worn tires and you're risking losing control. I drive the 409 daily and even at 110-115km/h around the curve I feel like I'm risking it.

2012 MZ3 SkyActiv - Graphite Grey Mica

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mty Mous View Post
    8.5months old, and looking at the damage, I honestly can't see them replacing the car, my Accord was less than 2.5months old when I got hit and sent my car in a tailspin and over a medium ... by the time everything was said and done it was greater than $15K, but they still didn't replace it, my Ins company said it needs to be over something like 70% of the value of the vehicle before they consider full replacement (car was $30K) ... car is being leased, so I opted to have Honda repair it, and to be honest for the last 7months since I got the car back I've been waiting to hear a strange clunk, click, rattle or other strange noises but nothing, the car is still tight and smooth as the first day I drove it off the lot brand new.
    Since Honda repaired it to their satisfaction, once the lease is up, if I decide to hand the car back, nothing related to the accident will come back to bite me, everything was on the up and up and above board, and approval through Honda is done.

The bad part however is that I didn't go to the Ins company's preferred shop, so if anything arises now (result of the accident) on the car, I will have to jump through a few hoops with the Insurance company in order for them to agree to cover the costs ... I was nervous about this, but so far so good...

Its really shitty when something like this happens to a new~ish car, especially when the accident isn't your fault ... I was really planning on buying the car out at the end of the lease, and if the car keeps going the way it has in the last 7months, I still might end up doing so, only time will tell...

Hope your experience is similar to mine and you still continue to enjoy your car after the repairs.

Oh, another good thing was that Honda spared no expense with the repairs, the rear subframe was bent due to the way I got sent spinning over the center mediun, and the front subframe was ever so lightly scratched, so they decided to change both subframes and all suspension arms along with every nut and bolt with new ones, I was in there every other day and they kept showing me the progress ... maybe this is why the car still feels like new.

And yes, I do have the replacement coverage included in my policy, but apparently what my Ins said is that if its below the 70% of the cost, then no replacement, but definitely only use of OEM parts for repairs, none of the aftermarket cheaper parts will be considered.
    I only had 2,500kms on the car at the time too, so it was barely even broken-in. lol
    Glad to hear your repairs turned out well! Just hope mine will be the same... I was debating between insurance-preferred vs dealer, but after all the responses I got, I'm going to go insurance preferred (it would end up at the same body shop in the end)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
    Was the accident close to the 401E? The 409 curves quite a bit there and drivers often don't slow down enough. Combine that with worn tires and you're risking losing control. I drive the 409 daily and even at 110-115km/h around the curve I feel like I'm risking it.
    Yup - Right before it branches off to 401E express & collectors

It was when I started on the curve that the other car slammed into mine. They seemed to be going quite fast from what I recall... It all happened so quickly!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not use ASSured. I used them thru Mazda warranty repair, and they broke both my skirts, glued them on my car and said that is how it is done now.
    Plus it started rusting worse than before the repair, I should have NEVER gone to assured.
    Regards
    Shawn