Thread: MAP and Bodyguard warranties

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry MAP and Bodyguard warranties

I just purchased my 2nd Mazda ever. A 2015 3 Sport GS. I work in a mall and park my car in the street so at first I was sold on the warranty for dings from other cars , shopping carts etc. My previous car was a '05 Mazda that was embarrasing to drive from the rust so the extra rust protection was important.

Here's the issue.

The person selling the warranties wasn't very truthful. He told me there was no deductible however it states in black and white in the Mazda extended warranty program that the buyer is responsible for the deductible. At $2530 I can put that money in a savings account etc and use it for car repairs.

The rust warranty does not cover wheel well rust, only surface rust on the paint and I can only have it removed 2x and it has to be more than 2cm in diamater. I asked him if it was full body all around rust protection and he said of course it is. The bodyguard warranty was around $3000. I feel ripped off that I did not find out until recieving the documentation and being able to read the fine print what was covered.

I am cancelling the MAP warranty unless someone has good reason that it's acutally worth that much. I can't cancel the bodyguard as the E.C.E is already installed. Even after spending $3k for rustproofing and fabric protection, I still have to fork out $150 to krown to have the underbody protected?

If i have misstated anything about either warranty please correct me. I feel like i have made a mistake. A very costly mistake.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MAP and Bodyguard warranties

First off, congrats on the new purchase. Please be sure to atleast provide a review on the dealer for the community to benefit.

Myself, I never go with the extended warranties, dealer rustproofing and fabric stuff. All of these pushed because they bring nice margin to the dealer.

I bought my 2010 just over 5 years ago and it has been Krown'd yearly. There is NO rust under the car. It's easy to spot people on the road that didn't bother with rust protection.

My 2010 has 110,000km now and the only real repairs I have forked out for were passenger and driver's side motor mounts - at around 90k to 95k kms. Both items were technically covered under powertrain warranty but the PMM hadn't failed yet (just cracking in the rubber - it would have failed just outside warranty). The driver's side was making an odd noise. In both cases I didn't have time to run back and forth to the dealer trying to get coverage so I just got the parts via TM3 discount at Mazda of Toronto and went to Jimmy at Street Performance.

Some people like the "peace of mind" MAP provides but my understanding is that "wear and tear" items are not covered. In my opinion you are better off investing the $2500 and dealing with repairs. The Powertrain warranty of the 2015+ was extended and most of the car is still covered for the first 3yr/80k.

Note, I am still on my original factory battery and tons of brake life left (manual trans FTW!) Other than that I have just had oil changes and changed cabin filters. At 100k I proactively changed my a/c and main drive belt along with the tensioner pulley (all low cost).

So that's my take. Enjoy the car, but go and get it Krown'd!

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gratts99 View Post
    I just purchased my 2nd Mazda ever. A 2015 3 Sport GS. I work in a mall and park my car in the street so at first I was sold on the warranty for dings from other cars , shopping carts etc. My previous car was a '05 Mazda that was embarrasing to drive from the rust so the extra rust protection was important.

Here's the issue.

The person selling the warranties wasn't very truthful. He told me there was no deductible however it states in black and white in the Mazda extended warranty program that the buyer is responsible for the deductible. At $2530 I can put that money in a savings account etc and use it for car repairs.

The rust warranty does not cover wheel well rust, only surface rust on the paint and I can only have it removed 2x and it has to be more than 2cm in diamater. I asked him if it was full body all around rust protection and he said of course it is. The bodyguard warranty was around $3000. I feel ripped off that I did not find out until recieving the documentation and being able to read the fine print what was covered.

I am cancelling the MAP warranty unless someone has good reason that it's acutally worth that much. I can't cancel the bodyguard as the E.C.E is already installed. Even after spending $3k for rustproofing and fabric protection, I still have to fork out $150 to krown to have the underbody protected?

If i have misstated anything about either warranty please correct me. I feel like i have made a mistake. A very costly mistake.
    Mazda Added Protection has a $0 deductible.

Read through the Rust Warranty, I am pretty sure that Symtech also covers the underbody.. at least when we sold it, it did. I am not a big fan of the ECM.. I still think chemical is better.. much better.

$2530 for the Warranty?? most expensive MAP is a 7y 200K for $2525. $3000 for the protection.. I can't say they misled you, but it just sounds like you bought from the wrong place.
    Damn you photobucket.....

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Jeff-TheBiz is there not a 10 day grace period to cancel that stuff? Part of the consumer protection act or something?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone's responses so far. I went with the Mazda wear warranty as well so that is in the $3k. The dealer (St.Catharines) called me to see how I was enjoying my car and I told them how much I love it but that I will be returning the MAP first thing as I don't see value in it. My sales rep said it won't be a problem, come down first thing Monday and we will fill out the paperwork. I'm expecting a push back from the financial manager when I get there. I am also going to inquire about cancelling the Mazda wear. I' m not sure if having the car "Crown'd" would be overkill at this point , but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it done in the fall

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gratts99 View Post
    Thanks to everyone's responses so far. I went with the Mazda wear warranty as well so that is in the $3k. The dealer (St.Catharines) called me to see how I was enjoying my car and I told them how much I love it but that I will be returning the MAP first thing as I don't see value in it. My sales rep said it won't be a problem, come down first thing Monday and we will fill out the paperwork. I'm expecting a push back from the financial manager when I get there. I am also going to inquire about cancelling the Mazda wear. I' m not sure if having the car "Crown'd" would be overkill at this point , but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it done in the fall

Get it done now or September latest. It's best to apply when it's warm/hot outside so the oil penetrates everywhere.

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    @Jeff-TheBiz is there not a 10 day grace period to cancel that stuff? Part of the consumer protection act or something?
    Not really, the Warranty can be cancelled, but I doubt a dealership is going to give a refund on Chemical or Module installation