Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krown or Corrosion Free on a brand new Mazda 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Krown or Corrosion Free on a brand new Mazda 3

Hey guys, need an advice as I have spent way too much time on this problem already. I am the most anal person when it comes to personal big ticket purchases and itheir maintenance, so I need a thorough reply based on some sort of a genuine experience. Trust me, I sued search function to its extend.

After googling and reading and watching and asking, I have narrowed down two shops to get my new car to for rust proofing: Krown and Corrosion Free (Robinson Automotive). And, at this particular point, I am leaning towards Corrosion Free and this is why:

1) No holes drilled (in most cases). Big thing as I am not looking forward to holes being drilled in my brand new car.
    2) Warranty covers surface rust. Which is a big factor because that's the type of rust M3 gets most often.
    3) Doesn't drip
    4) needs to be reapplied every 18 month instead of Krown's 12 months.
    5) Canadian military uses it (doesn't really matter, but thought it was a nice statistic).

It is a bit more expensive than Krown, but the fact that it has a longer time-frame between applications makes it the same price in a long run.

On paper, the advantages of Corrosion Free far outweigh those of Krowns. Thus my question is, why do most people still go to Krown? Poor marketing on CF part or am I missing something?

Will be keeping the car for 5 years, want to see no rust originating. 2015 3 hatch.

Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Krown or Corrosion Free on a brand new Mazda 3

Personally, I have friends with more car ownership experience and seeing the underside of theirs car speaks for itself.

This is kinda like Michelin vs Bridgestone tires. It comes down to personal preference. Krown is oil-based and the product is sprayed from the inside, allowing it to penetrate seams and around small areas where water can be trapped (one of the ingredients of rust). Usually I like to see my car drip Krown oil, that means the product is doing its job. You simply won't get that kind of coverage without drilling holes.

Surface rust? Go look under a car that never had rust proof that went thru a year or two winter. It's not a nice scene. Suspension parts, exhaust, cross members are often found with rust first. Wash your car properly during winter is key.

Go to Richmond Hill Krown, it's my go to location. The staff and owner are very knowledgeable and they won't have any issues answering all your concerns.
    Last edited by ottoyu34; 09-28-2015 at 11:30 PM.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ottoyu34 For This Useful Post:

Three (09-29-2015)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Krown hands down

sparyed my car from year from brand new and car looks like new underneath... My wheel wells did rust and so did my third brake light.... Krown fixed it hassle free... I couldn't believe how well they took care of my issues.

IMO they have best waranty
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aris For This Useful Post:

Three (09-29-2015)

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The holes they drill are plugged with rubber grommets (which are greased prior to installation) and the only place you ever see them if you're not looking for them are in your door sills, and even then they look factory (at least to me).

It you have a dark grey, navy or black car you'll hardly see them at all.

I went with Krown but honestly don't have anything against Corrosion Free, but the fact that Krown gets those seams where water is trapped and rust forms is the reason I chose them.
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

7. The Following User Says Thank You to staax For This Useful Post:

Three (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm,

Let's say holes aren't the problem, but what about dripping and no warranty covering surface rust? I mean, isn't the surface rust the biggest reason of why people rust proof their cars? Let's say three years from now I see a rust spot on the door hinge (just an example), I get it to Krown, they won't do anything about it as there is no hole. I take it to CF and they'll fix it. Isn't that a huge deciding factor in favor of CF?

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well IMO a door hinge is a bad example... But whichever route you go the rustproofing isn't applied over the paint... All surface rust is formed either from a stone chip (which isn't covered) or from the gap between the sheet metal and plastic lining (think of a wheel arch).

Keeping that wheel arch clean or full of rust proofing will ensure (not 100% effective) you don't get that water trapped in between those two pieces.

I'd be really surprised if CF fixes rust that started in an area where they didn't apply rustproofing.

Rust always starts beneath the paint unless caused by a stone chip, or on non-painted surfaces.

Edit: dripping only happens for about a week. Park on the road, place a tarp underneath, or wash your driveway afterward and you're fine.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staax For This Useful Post:

aris (09-29-2015),Three (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Hm,

Let's say holes aren't the problem, but what about dripping and no warranty covering surface rust? I mean, isn't the surface rust the biggest reason of why people rust proof their cars? Let's say three years from now I see a rust spot on the door hinge (just an example), I get it to Krown, they won't do anything about it as there is no hole. I take it to CF and they'll fix it. Isn't that a huge deciding factor in favor of CF?
    Thing is if you spray using Krown every year, you will not see rust on hinges or inside doors or underneath the car for years! I'm now at 10.5 years and absolutely no rust anywhere. Surface rust, as mentioned, on external panels is NOT covered by anyone as that is usually caused from stone chips, scratches etc., which is your responsibility to maintain.

_3

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

aris (09-29-2015),Three (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know krown lakeshore is no longer a tm3 sponsor but talk to @p-o-g-i as he use to work there part time
    he can let you know the procedure of what they do step by step

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shizuka_Osamu For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (11-30-2015),Three (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. I can see that Krown is being favored here, and I understand why, but due to my personal preferences and vast amount of positive feedback about CF, I decided to go with them.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Thanks everyone. I can see that Krown is being favored here, and I understand why, but due to my personal preferences and vast amount of positive feedback about CF, I decided to go with them.
    Did you go to Robinson? I read really good reviews about them and I'm planning to go there soon... I'm also not in favour of Krown, because of the dripping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone knows of a good place to have the Corrosion Free treatment applied, I would appreciate it if you could let us know here? So far from what I've read on the forums, Canadian Tire is to be avoided at all costs but then are private garages any better? I just don't know where to go to get this done and know that it's being done properly.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steb6s View Post
    If someone knows of a good place to have the Corrosion Free treatment applied, I would appreciate it if you could let us know here? So far from what I've read on the forums, Canadian Tire is to be avoided at all costs but then are private garages any better? I just don't know where to go to get this done and know that it's being done properly.
    Theres a shop that does a great job with Corrosion 3000, the place is called Superior Protection Products, its a small family owned place located at 1092 South Service Rd West in Oakville. i did my mazda 3 when i had it and now i do my cx-5 there.
    Its about $60-70 to the the whole undercarriage,no drilling and doesnt drip like krown/rustcheck. It still flows down and drips just a bit.

i feel very uncomfortable having holes drilled in my new car, maybe one day when the car is at least 5 years old i wont care as much, besides, corrosion 3000 has the best formula according to the canadian military that tested all the different ones
    Last edited by mazda72; 10-15-2015 at 08:27 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazda72 For This Useful Post:

jswift79 (10-16-2015),steb6s (10-20-2015)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oakville is a bit further than I wanted to travel but I may still go to that shop. Winter's coming soon. Thanks. Wherever I end up going I will follow up here. My brother is going to use Canadian Tire. We'll see how that goes too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazda72 View Post
    Theres a shop that does a great job with Corrosion 3000, the place is called Superior Protection Products, its a small family owned place located at 1092 South Service Rd West in Oakville. i did my mazda 3 when i had it and now i do my cx-5 there.
    Its about $60-70 to the the whole undercarriage,no drilling and doesnt drip like krown/rustcheck. It still flows down and drips just a bit.

i feel very uncomfortable having holes drilled in my new car, maybe one day when the car is at least 5 years old i wont care as much, besides, corrosion 3000 has the best formula according to the canadian military that tested all the different ones
    Oakville is a bit further than I wanted to travel but I may still go to that shop. Winter's coming soon. Thanks. Wherever I end up going I will follow up here. My brother is going to use Canadian Tire. We'll see how that goes too.
    I went to Superior for corrosion free for my '15 last October. I would recommend it. I am also the type to do a crap ton a research before investing my time and money into anything big and I find that the big problem with corrosion free is that there isn't much information and reviews as there are for Krown. You'll find useful tidbits here and there but not many postings of similar opinions. Like many have commented, Krown is good because it seeps through the seams and provide great coverage and protection. When I was looking, it was hard to find similar claims for corrosion free as it doesn't drip so naturally people would assume it doesn't get into the seams like Krown does. But I was able to find some information online with people doing practical tests such as putting two flat metal plates in a vice grip, spraying corrosion free onto it and leaving it for 1-2 days to prove that it does seep into the seams. That kind of relevant "proof" was hard to find. I can't even tell you where I found it or if I can find it again to be honest, it's that few and far in between. After reading that many say Krown leaves your underside looking like a messy gunk, I opted to go with CF.
    2005 GT GFX Black Mica
    2015 GT Aerokit Snowflake White Pearl

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclic View Post
    I went to Superior for corrosion free for my '15 last October. I would recommend it. I am also the type to do a crap ton a research before investing my time and money into anything big and I find that the big problem with corrosion free is that there isn't much information and reviews as there are for Krown. You'll find useful tidbits here and there but not many postings of similar opinions. Like many have commented, Krown is good because it seeps through the seams and provide great coverage and protection. When I was looking, it was hard to find similar claims for corrosion free as it doesn't drip so naturally people would assume it doesn't get into the seams like Krown does. But I was able to find some information online with people doing practical tests such as putting two flat metal plates in a vice grip, spraying corrosion free onto it and leaving it for 1-2 days to prove that it does seep into the seams. That kind of relevant "proof" was hard to find. I can't even tell you where I found it or if I can find it again to be honest, it's that few and far in between. After reading that many say Krown leaves your underside looking like a messy gunk, I opted to go with CF.
    Mechanics love the underneath of my car, they've told me so lol!! Basically as nothing is rusted or seized.
    Krown has been around a long time and there are thousands of testimonies to 'prove' how well it works. Over ten years daily driven and still no rust here.
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Sure holes have to be drilled,but there's simply no other way to get to certain internal areas of the car and drilling definitely does not weaken the structure of the vehicle nor does the drilling cause rust.

Krown uses an oil based formula and it is pretty well common knowledge, oil protects metal...nuff said.

_3

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

sarujo (10-20-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Did you go to Robinson? I read really good reviews about them and I'm planning to go there soon... I'm also not in favour of Krown, because of the dripping.
    Hey there, sorry for late reply. Yes, I went to Robinson in Mississauga. Great experience. They don't let you watch the process, but they will allow you to see the application after its done. They are one of the few certified vendors for Corrosion Free and the shop itself is clean and professional.

The formula should be reapplied every 12-18 months for warranty to stay intact. Unfortunately, its hard to say if Corrosion Free is effective as it requires time. Its also a bit pricier than Chrome, but since it doesn't have to be reapplied as often, the cost is the same in the long run. it also doesn't drip and no holes are drilled, they used the holes available in the car. Depending on a model, they might want to ask you to drill holes. However, Mazda 3 does not require additional holes.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Three For This Useful Post:

steb6s (10-27-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Mechanics love the underneath of my car, they've told me so lol!! Basically as nothing is rusted or seized.
    Krown has been around a long time and there are thousands of testimonies to 'prove' how well it works. Over ten years daily driven and still no rust here.

Sure holes have to be drilled,but there's simply no other way to get to certain internal areas of the car and drilling definitely does not weaken the structure of the vehicle nor does the drilling cause rust.

Krown uses an oil based formula and it is pretty well common knowledge, oil protects metal...nuff said.

_3
    Yeah I'm sure Krown is great. If it wasn't for the mess it leaves, I would probably go with Krown too. One thing I forgot to mention is that there are different 'packages of protection' for Corrosion Free that people can choose. The 'complete' option will drill holes by default but you can opt not to have them do it. They claim some of cars have holes drilled from factory by design already and they can just use that to get into all the nooks and crannies but only time will tell I guess.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post

_3
    After 5.5 years and 115,000 km's later the bottom of my gen2 is spotless as well. And yes, Pat at Altech loves doing alignments on my car as nothing is ceased and so easy to work on. Am with @Flagrum_3 here.

I'm not sure what the fear is about the drilling or my god, the "mess" it leaves (the few days of dripping..so what). The fact remains is that Krown has been around for a very long time and has proven itself. If Corrosion Free was so good, why is it available in so few places?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last time I purchased a new Mazda 3 GT, they tried to sell me the usual package: Perma Shine, Scotch Guard and extra rust proofing. They promised me no holes will be drilled anywhere on the car. but they said yearly inspection would be required. When I asked the guy how are they going to spray and later on, inspect inside the doors and panels, the idiot was lost for words. There is nothing wrong with Krown drilling holes. I rustproofed seven cars with Krown. No regrets.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robinson is booked until December for a rustproofing appointment =/ I put my name on a call list but I think I'll try that place in Oakville in the meantime. Pretty sure roads will see salt by December.

Noob
    Ride
    '15 hatchback black
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever have it done by the Krown near Alliston? Judging by Google maps it kinda looks like some guy just does it from his farm.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNS View Post
    Anyone ever have it done by the Krown near Alliston? Judging by Google maps it kinda looks like some guy just does it from his farm.

So what.... All the Krown guys gets trained where to spray
    Last edited by aris; 11-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNS View Post
    You could always email Krown and find out if he's legit or not, and if he is, then he would be trained by Krown in the proper application methods. If he's not, I'm sure there's a location in T.O. not too far from you...Its worth the drive.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently went with Corrosion Free, have a question..

The stuff that was sprayed in the doors started to drip, and the bottom portion of the doors are covered with it. It accumulates dirt, and it looks like it's an "oil" leak. What is the best way to clean this without damaging the paint?

Thanks!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    I recently went with Corrosion Free, have a question..

The stuff that was sprayed in the doors started to drip, and the bottom portion of the doors are covered with it. It accumulates dirt, and it looks like it's an "oil" leak. What is the best way to clean this without damaging the paint?

Thanks!

Carwash soap and a washmitt lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast