Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloured Fog Lights: Risky?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Coloured Fog Lights: Risky?

I've heard so many different things regarding coloured fogs. i've had cops tell me that though it is technically illegal, you're only really allowed white or light yellow, most cops arent THAT anal to pull you over for coloured fogs unless it's super distracting. BUT the possibility of getting a fine is always there, though you could most definitely fight it.

I want to make mine a violet colour, i'm thinking of going the coloured vinyl route so that way if i ever do get pulled over by a cop i can just take the vinyl off and send in a picture of the "fix"

Just wondering fi anyone has coloured fogs, if they ever had any trouble and what people's general opinions are.

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coloured Fog Lights: Risky?

i think if you get radical like purple/blue/red etc, you would probably only want to use them while parked. i just went with yellow

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes94 View Post
    I've heard so many different things regarding coloured fogs. i've had cops tell me that though it is technically illegal, you're only really allowed white or light yellow, most cops arent THAT anal to pull you over for coloured fogs unless it's super distracting. BUT the possibility of getting a fine is always there, though you could most definitely fight it.

I want to make mine a violet colour, i'm thinking of going the coloured vinyl route so that way if i ever do get pulled over by a cop i can just take the vinyl off and send in a picture of the "fix"

Just wondering fi anyone has coloured fogs, if they ever had any trouble and what people's general opinions are.
    I've considered the risks and it's not getting pulled over or ticketed that concern me but rather what has actually put the idea on hold for me was that someone warned me that the film could melt and it would be a pain to deal with.
    My Parents bought me more Hot Wheels than Barbies when I was little...

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by natspriceless View Post
    I've considered the risks and it's not getting pulled over or ticketed that concern me but rather what has actually put the idea on hold for me was that someone warned me that the film could melt and it would be a pain to deal with.
    i've seen some people run theirs constantly, even in the day and i've seen them burn and melt in the middle so you have black spots. Make it a pain to peel off. I only use mine at night and even then, i'll usually turn them off unless i need them.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lizz has pink fogs. Hasnt got stopped yet.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

General opinion:
    Just stay away from red. Those will get you pulled over and they are stupid. No reason to mimic brake lights on the front of your car

I can see a really light blue getting away with it, as it would probably just mimic xenon bulbs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

shift8 (10-21-2015)

Ride
    2006 Honda Civic Si
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ran green bulbs for a while no hassle. i think, dodged a few encounters but that could have been for numerous reasons, my lady has ran pink fogs for 4 years now and not a single time stopped, she has had film (good quality film) and not a single burn spot, i was running green led bulbs
    DAI | XXR | NANKANG | DOMINANT ENGINERING | KW | BRIDE
    KAPTION | JVC | OPTIMA | INJEN | TRI POINT | NRG | AVENUE

STRIPPING TECHNOLOGIES | EXCLUSIVE WHEEL AND TIRE | KAPTION

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running yellow lamix, cops could pull me over for other things, loud exhaust, illegal tint % lowered etc. Its all officer's discretion. Cops in Toronto DGAF
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianbacon For This Useful Post:

stella.salubro (10-22-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Coloured Fog Lights: Risky?

I had really blue fogs & got a ticket but that was with peel cops & they always suck. It's always gonna come down to the cop.
    Oh & I have a blue lamix over the fogs & there's no burn marks ect and I mostly drive at night so they are usually on & they are fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have yellow tint with yellow bulbs and I have the dark brown marks in the middle i only put them on at night but I deliver pizzas and it's mainly at night.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by microtandme View Post
    I have yellow tint with yellow bulbs and I have the dark brown marks in the middle i only put them on at night but I deliver pizzas and it's mainly at night.
    Mine have finally started to burn also. Lamin-x.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on cops in your area. For just fogs yellow are generally safe, a little blue/pink/violet probably safe so long as its still a bright white with just a hue of colour. If its a pure blue, red etc. then its just a matter of time until you get pulled over.

Reality though, anything other than white is going to be a distraction.
    Organizer for 519 Meets - Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazduh View Post
    Mine have finally started to burn also. Lamin-x.
    glad i didn't' go with those. I paid $10 on ebay for my overlays. Odd that they sent me 3, but i guess that means i have a backup if they eventually burn.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan2.3 For This Useful Post:

Mazduh (10-26-2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell3 View Post
    Depends on cops in your area. For just fogs yellow are generally safe, a little blue/pink/violet probably safe so long as its still a bright white with just a hue of colour. If its a pure blue, red etc. then its just a matter of time until you get pulled over.

Reality though, anything other than white is going to be a distraction.
    So basically anything other than white or Amber on the front of your car is illegal.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to microtandme For This Useful Post:

shift8 (10-21-2015)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The relevant section of the Highway Traffic Act (Ontario) is at http://www.ontario.ca/fr/lois/loi/90h08#s61 and just beyond.

Executive summary:

- At night, two lights on the front in white or yellow, and one on the back in red (headlights/taillights)
    - There are rules about the "strength" of the required lights, and no colored covering of any kind.
    - No more than four on the front exceeding 300 candles intensity
    - No intermittent red other than "4-way flashers", and intermittent blue restricted
    - Red & Blue on the front restricted, as is flashing green

I can find no other regulations restricting any colors at all, front or rear. The only caveat is if you have, for example, purple foglights and you're driving at night with those and not also your normal white/yellow headlights, you'll be not complying with that first point.

Brad.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bpsmicro For This Useful Post:

microtandme (11-29-2015),MikeSafari (03-16-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Barrie and so far I've seen a LOT of cars with the typical yellow (Mine included) .... a few pink, blue (actual blue, not xenon) and purple.

Depends on the cop really.

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes94 View Post

Why do people think this matters?

If you beat someone up and then send them tylenol, do you think the assault charge gets dropped?

If you were breaking the law at the time of the offence, "unbreaking" it doesn't absolve you of guilt.

-Geoff

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What's the difference between a pic after and pic before

I'm with Geoff on this one...I need a tylenol after reading all of this

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    What's the difference between a pic after and pic before

I'm with Geoff on this one...I need a tylenol after reading all of this
    I would have to disagree with both you on this because most times when people get a ticket for dark tint if they take it off they don't have to pay the ticket how could this be something different?

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudPump View Post
    Why do people think this matters?

If you beat someone up and then send them tylenol, do you think the assault charge gets dropped?

If you were breaking the law at the time of the offence, "unbreaking" it doesn't absolve you of guilt.

-Geoff
    i think the reasoning is that sometimes they'll give you a warning saying, "take this off and show us, and we'll drop the ticket"

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would have to disagree with both you on this because most times when people get a ticket for dark tint if they take it off they don't have to pay the ticket how could this be something different?
    Without hard facts I would not use phrases like "most times" because I bet you have no idea how often this is the case.

What I was saying is that if all it takes is a photo, why not take a photo before you get the tints done, or fog lights or whatever...in an underground parking garage so they can't tell which season it is...and keep that to send to the police to show the "fix"

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post
    i think the reasoning is that sometimes they'll give you a warning saying, "take this off and show us, and we'll drop the ticket"
    A warning isn't a ticket. If they gave you a warning, you were warned and sent on your way, there's nothing to drop. A ticket is filed in court and is a legal charge against you.

-Geoff

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anecdotal evidence.

What really happens in these cases is that a person was pulled over for speeding, but given two or three tickets (tints, lights, etc.) in addition to the speeding infraction.

When traffic court comes around, the prosecutors (whose job is to get stuff through the courts as fast as possible) say that they'll drop the other charges if you can show it's fixed and you'll only pay the speeding fine.

People then believe that this is all that's needed to get out of a tint/lights/etc. ticket, when in fact you were just being gamed by the way they play the system.

-Geoff

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudPump View Post
    A warning isn't a ticket. If they gave you a warning, you were warned and sent on your way, there's nothing to drop. A ticket is filed in court and is a legal charge against you.

-Geoff
    mispoke by saying drop ticket as opposed to warning. in his original message he wasn't saying explicitly there was a ticket. he was just saying he could take it off and show it was gone. If he was charged, then yeah, i agree with you, you can't just take it off and it goes away, but you may have that option if it was a conditional ticket/warning.
    Several years ago i was driving really late night, and had a cop behind me for a while (long stretch of highway). One of my turn signals happened to burn out in front of him. I knew it had because the click clack got faster, and right away he pulled me over. I was given a conditional ticket/warning/whatever that i had to go to the station within 24 hours to show that it was repaired and they'd let it go, otherwise i'd get charged for having a light out. That wasn't a warning that nothing happens and i'm on my way, i had to actively show an officer at the station that i had repaired it. They signed off on it and it was gone. Annoyingly, i had extra bulbs in my glovebox, but he wouldn't let me change it on the side of the road.

I'm not defending his reason of i'll do it anyways and then peel it off if someone says something, i was just saying that it's possible. I think it's an unnecessary gamble and potential time/money waste just for a couple purple circles.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan2.3 For This Useful Post:

microtandme (12-10-2015)

Ride
    Vixxxen
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post
    mispoke by saying drop ticket as opposed to warning. in his original message he wasn't saying explicitly there was a ticket. he was just saying he could take it off and show it was gone. If he was charged, then yeah, i agree with you, you can't just take it off and it goes away, but you may have that option if it was a conditional ticket/warning.
    Several years ago i was driving really late night, and had a cop behind me for a while (long stretch of highway). One of my turn signals happened to burn out in front of him. I knew it had because the click clack got faster, and right away he pulled me over. I was given a conditional ticket/warning/whatever that i had to go to the station within 24 hours to show that it was repaired and they'd let it go, otherwise i'd get charged for having a light out. That wasn't a warning that nothing happens and i'm on my way, i had to actively show an officer at the station that i had repaired it. They signed off on it and it was gone. Annoyingly, i had extra bulbs in my glovebox, but he wouldn't let me change it on the side of the road.

I'm not defending his reason of i'll do it anyways and then peel it off if someone says something, i was just saying that it's possible. I think it's an unnecessary gamble and potential time/money waste just for a couple purple circles.
    Lol @ryan2.3 you mean "she" not "he" right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast