Ride
    2001 mazda protege
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default anyone install the combination radio/cd player / GPS

anyone install a combination radio,cd player, GPS in a mazda 3 mine is a 2012. As far as i can see you can only buy these off ebay, as i know of no one who sells in the Toronto vicinity
    1. any problem
    2. where did u get installed
    3 if you purchased this in Toronto, where from
    4 has any one seen a unit that includes TRAFFIC. which is a feature in toronto is great

i am sick and tired of having my car broken into stealing the gps. and my downtown condo has security patrols, cameras .
    or i just might buy my same garmin 2698 LMT and take this out of the car , but it seems a hassle.

currently with nothing in the car to steal I am leaving the windows open.

thks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: anyone install the combination radio/cd player / GPS

Autopumpkin.com or eonon.com your choice! Do your research. Im using eonon older system D5163 no major issues
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianbacon View Post
    Autopumpkin.com or eonon.com your choice! Do your research. Im using eonon older system D5163 no major issues
    Lot of people running eonon with good results. I was going to until i found out about auto pumpkin on vwvortex. i went with a couple of those because they had more android selections.

OP, if you want stuff like traffic with your nav, whomever you get from, pick up an android system, so then you can use google maps or waze. Just have to hotspot your phone to the head units wifi

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hijack the thread here, but question for you Ryan... How much data would something like Waze use on the head unit when hot spotting your phone?

Like if I hear the traffic is really bad on the highway and I wanna check traffic on an alternate route and use Waze, how much would I be using for like 30 mins?

Is it comparable to most GPS apps?

Thanks!
    SOLD - 2012 GX Hatch

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't used waze in a couple years, Google maps has been sufficient for me.

It really depends on how you're using it, if you're only opening it here and there to check at that time, it's going to use much less than mounting your phone and keeping the map up on screen at all times since it has to constantly download the map vs refreshing just where you currently are. What you can do is go to your data usage page on the settings and see what waze currently is at. Take a typical trip and use it how you intend to use it. then go back into the data usage page and see what you're at for waze.

for rough numbers, i found a couple threads of some peoples experience...

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113410
    On a route where you drive a lot, not much at all. During my daily commute of 75km, it uses less than 1 MB. Last time I checked, it was 440kB.

On unknown routes it can be more. When I drove to France (1200km), it needed up to 27 MB.
    this make sense... your daily commute will be cached so your maps are already downloaded, it's just downloading new traffic data... whereas in a new place you have to download maps and teh traffic... to save on that you can pre-cache where your going while on wifi somewhere then you're just updating traffic.

https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20472
    I use it about 200 miles a week, and since June 2[2 weeks], Waze used 11.5MB
    you'll have to do some looking into how you plan to use it and where you go.

I never bothered checking, my work phone is my main US phone and its unlimited everything, i can even data roam in Canada so i don't worry, and my Canadian number i downgraded to Wind's pay as you go, so when i come for a weekend, i pay $2/day for unlimited everything. My wife is on TMobile and also gets unlimited talk/text/data in Canada/US/Mexico... not bad for $40/month

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan2.3 For This Useful Post:

staax (10-23-2015)

Ride
    2002 Dodge Dakota
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Thanks